[comp.os.os2.misc] parallel ports and second monitors

GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) (03/20/91)

In recent postings, Dave Lawson (dbl@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu) writes:

> My parallel port WILL NOT work under OS/2 (any verison I have
> tried)

As several people have pointed out, a likely source of the problem
is that your parallel card is not generating interrupts.  While
DOS polls the parallel port, OS/2 is interrupt driven.  There's
a program available on Compuserve (called PRTTEST, LPT1TEST, or
something like that) which will test whether your parallel port is
generating interrupts.  If you can't locate it on Compuserve,
let me know and I'll see if I can find a copy.

>     Will OS/2 drive a second video card?  In particular for
> codeview.
> I installed the second monitor option in 1.2 but it didn't seem to
> make any difference.  Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it will.  The second card must be a monochrome card.
You also need to set up your video devices for two monitors
in CONFIG.SYS.

Sanford Rockowitz

wbonner@eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar20.075040.6010@morrow.stanford.edu> GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) writes:
>>     Will OS/2 drive a second video card?  In particular for
>> codeview.
>> I installed the second monitor option in 1.2 but it didn't seem to
>> make any difference.  Any insights will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Yes, it will.  The second card must be a monochrome card.
>You also need to set up your video devices for two monitors
>in CONFIG.SYS.

Another thing to remember to do is to throw the codeview switch that tells
codeview to use the second monitor.   you can make sure os/2 knows about the
second monitor by typing MODE MONO at a command prompt.  If it doesn't switch
to the monochrome monitor, then something is not set up correctly.

Wim.

--
|  wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu  |
| 27313853@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu |