[comp.os.os2.misc] redirect to serial printer dosn't work

gah@hood.hood.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) (03/27/91)

In OS/2 1.0, a printer port could be redirected to a COM
port with

spool /d:lpt2 /o:com2

According to the on-line documentation, this should
also work in 1.2, but it doesn't.  I haven't had
much more luck with the PM print spooler configuration
menu, either.  Is it broken?

I can print with

copy/b file com2

But the spooler is nice, and this doesn't work in DOS mode.

Thanks for any hints on this.

jfarley@pollux.svale.hp.com (Jens Farley) (03/28/91)

gah@hood.hood.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) writes:

> In OS/2 1.0, a printer port could be redirected to a COM
>  port with
>
> spool /d:lpt2 /o:com2
>
> According to the on-line documentation, this should
> also work in 1.2, but it doesn't.  I haven't had
> much more luck with the PM print spooler configuration
> menu, either.  Is it broken?

1.   Using the Control Panel, set the communication parameters for
     COM2 (baud rate, data bits, etc).  The MODE command, which you
     probably used, does not affect the spooler.

2.   The Print Manager must be set up to spool the COM2 device.
     If it is not set up, set it up (i.e., install a PM printer
     driver, install the queue processor, etc).  Use the printer
     installation utility.

3.   Execute "spool /d:lpt2 /o:com2".  This redirects and spools
     anything printed to LPT2 to COM2 instead.

This should work.  I just tried it.

Unlike with OS/2 1.0, you need to set up the Print Manager with a
queue etc before this will work.  That is, OS/2 1.0 had no grand
and glorious Print Manager or Control Panel (or did it???) like the
ones that exists in 1.2x today.  The spool command under OS/2 1.0
actually was the spooler.
         ===

> I can print with
>
> copy/b file com2
>
> But the spooler is nice, and this doesn't work in DOS mode.

This point will be moot once you get the spooler running, but for
the copy /b to work, you need to run "setcom40 com2" in the DOS box
first.