[comp.os.os2.misc] unable to use mouse w Windows

GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) (04/02/91)

I could swear that I've already seen a discussion of the following
problem somewhere, but now that I need it I can't find it.
So I apologize in advance if I'm duplicating something previously
discussed.

Now that I've upgraded from EE 1.2 to EE 1.3, the mouse no longer
works when running Windows in the DOS box.  Other DOS programs,
e.g. Norton Utilities, use the mouse with no problem.
Has anyone else had this problem?  A solution?

The relevant parts of my configuration are:
  AMI MKIII 386-25 motherboard (with AMI BIOS, naturally)
  AMS flopppy/IDE/serial/parallel card
  Microsoft serial mouse on COM1
  modem on COM2

Sandy Rockowitz
gd.sar@forsythe.stanford.edu

tanith@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Michael D Kretzer) (04/03/91)

In order to use Windows in the DOS compatibility box, you MUST set the mouse
driver to Microsoft Mouse.  OS/2 'installs' its own mouse driver in the DOS
Box as a Microsoft Mouse.  The problem with running Windows in the DOS Box
is that you only have the 640K or so memory that OS/2 allows for DOS--no
extended memory (bummer!).  By the way, you must have OS/2 1.2 or higher
in order for this to work.  Previous versions of OS/2 didn't offer mouse
drivers in graphics modes (although the text mode drivers work fine)...

Hope that helped!  %-)

Mike Kretzer
tanith@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) (04/03/91)

In article <10716@uwm.edu>,
tanith@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Michael D Kretzer) writes:
>In order to use Windows in the DOS compatibility box, you MUST set the mouse
>driver to Microsoft Mouse.  OS/2 'installs' its own mouse driver in the DOS
>Box as a Microsoft Mouse.  The problem with running Windows in the DOS Box
>is that you only have the 640K or so memory that OS/2 allows for DOS--no
>extended memory (bummer!).  By the way, you must have OS/2 1.2 or higher
>in order for this to work.  Previous versions of OS/2 didn't offer mouse
>drivers in graphics modes (although the text mode drivers work fine)...

Mike,

Could you elaborate on this explanation?  I don't seem to have interpreted
it properly.

The following are the mouse related statements from my CONFIG.SYS.
These did not change when I upgraded from 1.2EE to 1.3EE.
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\POINTDD.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\MSSER01.SYS MODEL=199 SERIAL=COM1
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\MOUSE.SYS TYPE=MSSER$
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\PMDD.SYS

What I tried doing based on your comments was change the MOUSE.SYS
statement to:
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\MOUSE.SYS TYPE=MSSER$ MODE=P
to restrict the mouse support to protected mode only.  Then, in the
DOS box, I tried to load Microsoft mouse driver Ver 7.04 as I do in
DOS, by executing MOUSE.COM.  This results in error:
  SYS1927:  A DOS mode program changed an interrupt vector that is
  owned by the system.  The program was ended.

Trying to issue the command:
  SETCOM40 COM1=ON
results in the message
  SYS2087: Port com1 cannot be opened.

So clearly, the change I made adding "MODE=P" to "DEVICE=..MOUSE.SYS.."
in CONFIG.SYS was insufficient.

Or were you saying that I should replace the driver MSSER01 with a
Microsoft driver which functions in dual mode?  I tried using driver
OS2MOUSE.SYS, which came with my Microsoft mouse, in place of
either MSSER01.SYS, MOUSE.SYS, or both.  All resulted in errors
during CONFIG.SYS execution.

Sandy Rockowitz
gd.sar@forsythe.stanford.edu