[comp.os.os2.misc] Hypermedia systems for OS/2 and UNIX

A601IFAD@HASARA11.BITNET (Rachid Tebbal) (03/21/91)

Our department is currently investigating the availability of hypermedia
systems for OS/2 and UNIX. In the past weeks we've read about a system
called Guide, but don't know whether it's available on the platforms
mentioned above. Information about this systems and others are very much
appreciated in private or to the lists.

Rachid Tebbal      <a601ifad@vm1.sara.nl>
Department of Information Systems

University of Amsterdam

trip@uts.amdahl.com (Tripatinder Chowdhry) (03/22/91)

I just subscribed to this group.  Could some one tell me what a
multimedia is?

thanks
...trip

jansen@archone.tamu.edu (Mark Jansen) (03/27/91)

In article <f5b401a346SM00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> trip@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tripatinder Chowdhry) writes:
>I just subscribed to this group.  Could some one tell me what a
>multimedia is?
>
>thanks
>...trip

Multi-media used to mean any artwork that combines more then one media.  Paint
and pencil might be considered multi-media.  Then multi-media became a buzz
word that meant the use of slide projectors with sound track.  To this day
if you go to an audio-visual supplier and ask what they have in multimedia
they will start to sell you slide projectors, sound equipment, programmers.
I was hoping when I first found this group that I would learn more about this
theatrical control of equipment.

BUT what this group seems to center on is the presentation of images, sounds
and animation on a computer.  Much of the talk is about compression and
decompression schemes (hardware and software) and document standards such
that there are files for images, sounds, animation.

In terms of selling a multi-media computer, presumedly it would be a machine
that can playback realtime animation somwhere on the screen.  With image
compression chip sets out its only a matter of time until such a machine
comes into existence.  The amiga and Next machines are probably the closest
so far although PC's and Macs and Suns are having hardware add ons to make it
happen.

mark
Mark Jansen				               jansen@archone.tamu.edu
Visualization Laboratory,Department of Architecture    ph:409-845-0199
Texas A&M University,College Station, TX, 77843

vassili@ibmpcug.co.uk (Vassilis Konstantinou) (04/06/91)

In article <91078.124726A601IFAD@HASARA11.BITNET> A601IFAD@HASARA11.BITNET (Rachid Tebbal) writes:
> Our department is currently investigating the availability of hypermedia
> systems for OS/2 and UNIX. In the past weeks we've read about a system
> called Guide, but don't know whether it's available on the platforms
> mentioned above. Information about this systems and others are very much
> appreciated in private or to the lists.
>
> Rachid Tebbal      <a601ifad@vm1.sara.nl>
> Department of Information Systems
>
> University of Amsterdam

We are developing a large scale Electronic Documentation System for
a number of big organisations (including Unisys Corp.).

Our system runs on Unix 386/V, SunOS, and MS-DOS. Also
a version for X is close to completion. We have not considered
OS/2 yet but we are developing an MS Windows version.

It is an intelligent Hypertext system which offers
autuomatic crossreference between any number of flat documents.

The cross-reference is phrase-based, i.e. the author
has to indicate the phrases/keywords that he wishes
to use for the links.

The system is designed to be used both remotely, over modem
lines, or locally, and we have a CURSES based version so any
of the popular "non-intelligent" monitors can be used with
it.

The viewing system offers:
- guidance facilities, for example at any time the user
  can examine his/her path through a document and "jump"
  to any of the previous "locations".

- automatic index generation. The index contains all the
  references that are defined and can be used for "jumps"

- automatic avoidance of cyclic routes. i.e. the system does
  not allow you to move to a location that is already in your
  path.

- pattern search on the index

- graphical links (in TIFF format).

The development environment currenlty works with
plain ASCII files and allows

- the xref of any number of files

- can detect and record non-accessible definitions
  (defined but not used keyphrases)

- report on all links defined in a part of the text

- report on all links to a keyphrase.
  etc

The system is both available for both educational and
commercial uses (although the prices are diff.)

For more information please don't hesitate to
contact me at any of the following address:

V.Konstantinou
Head of A.I. Research Group
School of Computer Science
The Polytechnic of Central London
115 New Cavendish Street
London W1M 8JS.

Telephone      : +44-71-911-5000 ext 3598
FAX            : +44-71-911-5089

Janet Address  :  konstan@uk.ac.pcl.mole     or
                  vassilis@uk.ac.pcl.sun

PRESTEL MBX    :  011113071
CONNECT        :  vassili@ibmpcug.co.uk
BIX            :  vassilis
COMPUSERVE     :  100016,426@compuserve.com
CIX            :  vassilis@cix.compulink.co.uk

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not