[comp.os.os2.misc] Second Harddisk in PS/2 Model 80-111

sw@danetis.UUCP (Wolfgang Schweikert) (04/04/91)

Have anyone experince in installing a second non-IBM Harddisk in a PS/2
Model 80-111. I have try to install a Micropolis ESDI-Harddisk 1664 in
the PS/2 but with no success.

Configuration:
PS/2 Model 80-111
Standard IBM-ESDI-Controller with IBM 120 MB Harddisk.

--
  | Wolfgang Schweikert      |  Phone:  +49-711/1335322 FAX: +49-711/1335353 |
  | c/o Danet-IS GmbH        |  UUCP:   schweikert@danetis.uucp              |

d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) (04/06/91)

In article <3543@danetis.UUCP> sw@danetis.UUCP (Wolfgang Schweikert) writes:
>Have anyone experince in installing a second non-IBM Harddisk in a PS/2
>Model 80-111. I have try to install a Micropolis ESDI-Harddisk 1664 in
>the PS/2 but with no success.
>
>Configuration:
>PS/2 Model 80-111
>Standard IBM-ESDI-Controller with IBM 120 MB Harddisk.

I have installed a Miniscribe 300 Mb ESDI harddisk in an IBM PS/2-80/311,
which is comparable with your situation.

When installing the hard disk, I experienced great problems before I could
low level format the drive.  The standard way to low level format a new
hard disk is to boot on the reference diskette, press CTRL-A at the menu,
to enter Advanced Diagnostics.  By moving around in these menues, you may
come across the low level format routine (doesn't remember exactly what the
choice was called and how to get there).

But it is now you will experience problems, as the program in many cases
(depending on the drive and the version of reference diskette), will first
complains that the bad track list on the drive is missing, and refuse to low
level format the drive.

You have some alternatives to choice between:

1.  Call your IBM representant and try to get hold of their alternate low
    level format program (there is one available, but you might find it
    difficult to convince IBM of this).

2.  Try to get a newer reference diskette, which probably has the alternate
    low level format.

3.  Call Western Digital and get hold of THEIR low level format program.  They
    have a BBS in the states, mail me if you are interested in the number.  Or
    I could mail you the low level format program directly.

4.  Sell your hard disk, go home and cry out your frustration...:-)

Hope this helps
Mikael Wahlgren      d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se