[comp.os.os2.misc] HPFSREAD/NEW

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (04/06/91)

In article <8650002@acf3.NYU.EDU>, chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary Chapman) writes:
> I have a PS/2 model 80 with two 300 meg hard drives; the first is set up
> for dual boot for DOS and OS/2 1.3.  The second drive has only been
> low-level formatted.  When I installed 1.3, I did NOT install HPFS.
> I now wish to set up the second drive as an HPFS volume.

I did this only a few weeks ago.

1) Run FDISKPM and define an EXTENDED partition ONLY on the second drive.
   Define ONE logical drive on this partition to get the whole disk as one
   file system. You do this so that the drive letter for the new drive comes
   AFTER those on the existing drive. If you define a primary partition on
   the new drive, it'll grab letter D and move all the existing drive letters
   up by one.

2) Put the IFS= statement in CONFIG.SYS, with suitable parameters (see online
   reference). Also add a RUN= for the cache program (also documented).

3) Reboot. If you get any errors due to missing files, use UNPACK to pull
   them off the installation disks.

4) Run FORMAT/FS:HPFS on the drive. Again, this might need a DLL that isn't
   there. Copy it into the LIBPATH from the instalaltion diskette.

There you are!
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury