[comp.os.os2.misc] Disk driver for Adaptec 154x board.

fiasco@ntcpyr.sc.sni-usa.com (Rich Gircys) (03/30/91)

I am in desparate need of the OS/2 version 1.21 driver for the adaptec
154x board. I have been in contact with adaptec regarding this issue
since Dec of last year, and just yesterday they shocked me by replying
to my email by saying that they're not even working on it! This comes
after numerous vague promises that it would soon be ready.

Does anybody else have this need? If so, please let me know so that maybe
an organized efort will make adaptec take notice. Also open to any other
reasonable suggestions (not including getting an ESDI drive which I am
tempted to do).

As a summary of the current support for SCSI under OS/2, I present the
following:

	o SCSI/adaptec suported without special drivers only in machines
	  with ABIOS (Advanced BIOS). This includes PS/2 and a few others.

	o Otherwise, you need a driver from the OEM of the board which in
	  this case is an unresponsive, brain dead adaptec corp.

Adaptec, I hope you're reading this cause if this is the way you do business,
I've bought/recommended for purchase my last adaptec product.

P.S. If an email response if forthcoming, email to:

		fiasco@infoserv.com    or
		{...uunet}!infoserv!fiasco

Thanks

G. R. Gircys

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/01/91)

I used to look to Adaptec for OS/2 support, but not for the last year.
Your best solution (IMHO) is to get a different disk controller if you
want to run OS/2. I switched back to Conner IDE drives and I'm happy.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com

m1phm02@fed.frb.gov (Patrick H. McAllister) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar31.190025.4218@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

   I used to look to Adaptec for OS/2 support, but not for the last year.
   Your best solution (IMHO) is to get a different disk controller if you
   want to run OS/2. I switched back to Conner IDE drives and I'm happy.
   --

I have a Northgate machine with an Adaptec 1542B SCSI host adapter and
IBM's OS/2 EE 1.3. The Northgate came with a utility disk from Adaptec

Pat

bking@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Barry King) (04/06/91)

fiasco@ntcpyr.sc.sni-usa.com (Rich Gircys) writes:

> I am in desparate need of the OS/2 version 1.21 driver for the adaptec
> 154x board. I have been in contact with adaptec regarding this issue
> since Dec of last year, and just yesterday they shocked me by replying
> to my email by saying that they're not even working on it! This comes
> after numerous vague promises that it would soon be ready.
>
> Does anybody else have this need? If so, please let me know so that maybe
> an organized efort will make adaptec take notice. Also open to any other
> reasonable suggestions (not including getting an ESDI drive which I am
> tempted to do).
>
> As a summary of the current support for SCSI under OS/2, I present the
> following:
>
> 	o SCSI/adaptec suported without special drivers only in machines
> 	  with ABIOS (Advanced BIOS). This includes PS/2 and a few others.
>
> 	o Otherwise, you need a driver from the OEM of the board which in
> 	  this case is an unresponsive, brain dead adaptec corp.
>
> Adaptec, I hope you're reading this cause if this is the way you do business,
> I've bought/recommended for purchase my last adaptec product.
>
> P.S. If an email response if forthcoming, email to:
>
> 		fiasco@infoserv.com    or
> 		{...uunet}!infoserv!fiasco
>
> Thanks
>
> G. R. Gircys

I have an Adaptec 1540B sitting on a shelf collecting dust for exactly
that reason.  Too bad - it's a decent board.  I opted to go with a DPT
PM2001/95.  It emulates a WD-1003x controller and therefore works with
any o/s.  The gotcha is that it only supports two SCSI drives in
emulation mode BUT DPT is working on or has drivers - at least they
support their products! (TAKE  NOTE Adaptec!!!  You've lost customers...)

The DPT is very fast, faster than the 1540B.  It's got a full 16 bit data
path and uses a 10 MHz 68000 as it's processor.  SCSI overhead is 1 ms
faster than the 1540B according to Core tests under DOS. (Seek times
dropped using the DPT - I assume this is due to reduced overhead...)
Also, throughput increased a few percent with the DPT.  Anyway, it's one
hell of a board.  DPT sells cacheing and EISA versions of the
'SmartConnex', as they call it.

If you do not need support for more than two SCSI drives (and don't have
a SCSI tape unit) I highly recommend the DPT SmartConnex as an interim
solution for OS/2 use.

If you find out that DPT has OS/2 drivers available for the SmartConnex,
I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Good luck sorting this out.  (Buy the SmartConnex :-)  )

P.S.  I am in no way associated with DPT other than as a very satisfied
customer.

Barry King             ersys!bking@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982