[comp.os.os2.misc] MFM + SCSI controllers

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (04/09/91)

I had posted a message requesting information about the feasability
of using a scsi controller with an existing mfm controller, to which I
got the following replies. My thanks to those who did reply.

The message I posted was:

>I have an MFM AT controller with two ST-251-1s running off it. I need
>to add more disk space, and I don't want to get rid of my old disks.
>(We've come a long way together...) So, my question is: can I add SCSI
>to my machine? i.e., can I add a SCSI controller which doesn't have a
>built-in floppy controller and a SCSI hard disk? My existing MFM
>controller has dual floppy control.

>If so, how will such a device work (i.e. how will dos and Windows know
>about the SCSI disk)a? Will I have to add a device driver (which will
>run off my existing drive c), which will then allow dos to access the
>SCSI disk? And, will this run under windows? I seem to recall hearing
>that there are problems between windows and SCSI disks.  What SCSI
>disk + controller combinations are recommended? I am looking for ~80
>meg at ~ 20 ms access time. I have a free 1/2 height drive slot, and
>this is running on a 20 Mhz 386 motherboard.

>Is there any other way of adding disk space to my machine?

kartik

The replies I got were:

From: gp310ad@prism.gatech.edu (ROBERT DUCKWORTH)

I have had no trouble running the SCSI host adapter and a MFM typ e
controller in the same machine.
I don't use windows.
I suggest a seagate ST01B (make sure it's the B by looking for the
notched corner) and the st296N as an inexpensive <$450 set.

Bob
---
Bob Duckworth                            -everything you know is wrong-
Earth & Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, 30332
uucp: ...!{allegra,amdmhplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gp310ad
Internet: gp310ad@prism.gatech.edu   404-894-3890(o) 874-5051(h) 313-0095(m)

From: gp310ad@prism.gatech.edu (ROBERT DUCKWORTH)

kartik
The top rear corner of the card has a small notch.

      _____________________

______|

It is an 8 bit but I get a nice 800 k bytes /sec out of it.

The 296N is 28ms and looks just like your 251

There is a 3.5" 1096N.
About the same price and it is supposed to be faster.

I've had very good luck with the 2 296N that I've had for years.
Bob

From: frank@emx.utexas.edu (Frank Abernathy)
To: akm@geriatrix.cs.uoregon.edu
Subject: Re: MFM + SCSI

I have a Seagate ST-296N and ST-02 SCSI adapter, cost about $350.00 for
a SCSI 80mb drive and controller WITH floppy disk control.

You can not disable the floppy portion of the ST-02.

I could disable the floppy section of my WD-1003 controller and did do that.

I use the floppy controller on the ST02.

Windows 3.0 sees the MFM 40mb drive as drive C: and the SCSI 80mb as D:

In my CMOS setup you must NOT define ANY drive type for the SCSI drive.

I've had NO problems running DOS 4.01, Windows 3.0 and the above combination
in a '386 clone(Packard-Bell).

Hope some of this helps.

later
frank

From: frank%ccmaint.UUCP@emx.utexas.edu

No, it is an 8-bit controller.

It also appears to have no drivers for CD ROM drives or SCSI
Tape Backup and so I'm looking for a 16-bit board that
HAS THOSE DRIVERS....

later
frank

From gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu

I have 2 MFM drives, and a SCSI, plugged into an IBM PC with an
Intel Inboard 386 accellerator card.  Works well.
Some hints:

1) Don't buy the seagate ST-02 scsi controller that costs about $50.
I doesn't come with drivers to let you use both MFM and SCSI
disks.  It simply makes the SCSI look like a MFM disk controller.

2) I have the future domain SCSI disk controller for the XT.  It
is an 8 bit card, which I needed.  Future Domain drivers will let you
use SCSI and MFM disks.  Get the full kit, as it has the driver you
need.  Now, future domain chose to install the scsi disk as a "block
device", not an "Int 13 device", which means that smartdrv and
hyperdisk won't cache the scsi drives (they won't complain either).
Luckily PC Quik Cache will cache block devices, so get that if you
get a future domain controller.  I wouldn't bother mentioning
future domain at all, execpt I hear they have a really fast SCSI-2
controller out (I have no details or hard facts).

3) don't forget about the virtualHardDiskIRQ=false (WARNING: the previous
spelling is probably wrong and won't work at all.  consult sysini.txt files).

Your best bet is to get an Adaptec controller, since that seems to be
widely used & supported.

--
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu

From: Steven Batsford <batsford_s@apollo.com>
To: akm@geriatrix.cs.uoregon.edu

kartik,

I have an Adaptec 1522 SCSI controller and two SCSI disks.
I have had no problems with Windows3.0.

Adaptec makes a model 1520 SCSI controller that doesn't
have a floppy controller. They also have a driver that
would let DOS use the SCSI disk as the third disk. I know it
works with three SCSI disks because I tried it.

The price I paid for the 1522 board was about $150 around a
year ago.

I hope this helps.

Steve Batsford
batsford_s@apollo.hp.com

From: RCG903@MAINE.BITNET (martti toivakka)

If you receive any answers could you please send me a
copy, or post a summary on net. I've been trying to
find the same info. Seagate said that yes, I can have
both my MFM-drive and SCSI-drive on my AT, but I that
I would need to let SCSI-adapter to control floppy
discs. I would like to know more about WIN3-problems
and if any device drivers are needed.

Thank you.     Martti Toivakka
RCG903@MAINE.MAINE.EDU

From: schansen@amc.com (Scott Hansen)

A couple of other ways are:  Plus Hard (40, 80 and 105MB) - Very simple to
install, just plug-n-play and fast the lastest drives are rated around
9 ms.  The 80MB unit currently retails at $495.00.

Another solution is to use compression software/hardware (ie: Stacker).  The
Stacker software (device driver) retails at about $90.00 and their hardware
solution (card) for about $200.00.  This effectively doubles the capacity
of your current drives.  I understand, from a couple of my friends, that
the card actually speeds up your existing drives...

Both methods are fully Windows compatible and cheaper than a SCSI drive and
controller.

-Scott
Scott Hansen (schansen@amc.com)           Sysop...:  The Crystal Chip
Applied Microsystems Corporation          BBS.....:  (206) 226-6550
Redmond, Washington  98073                Voice...:  (206) 882-5322

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)