[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 1.3 fonts

mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) (04/09/91)

I use OS/2 EE 1.3.

Because 1.3 has a build-in Adobe Type Manager I thought it should be
possible to use the Windows 3.0 Adobe Type Manager fonts with OS/2 1.3

I downloaded several ATM fonts from garbo.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.37)
(directory pc/win3/fonts)

But I could only use one font (sntfra.zip). (I used ControlPanel to
install the font)

Why can't I use Windows 3.0 Adobe fonts with OS/2 1.3 ??
I thought Adobe was a standard....

You can contact me by e-mail:  mabdoor@cs.vu.nl

Regards,

Matthijs van Doorn

| " To do is to be   - Nietsche  |                        /|   /|   /   \
|   To be is to do   - Kant      |   mabdoor@cs.vu.nl    / |  / |  /     |
|   Do be do be do   - Sinatra " |   VU Amsterdam       /  | /  | /     |
|________________________________|_____________________/___|/___|/_____/

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (04/10/91)

In article <9603@star.cs.vu.nl> mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) writes:
>Because 1.3 has a build-in Adobe Type Manager I thought it should be
>possible to use the Windows 3.0 Adobe Type Manager fonts with OS/2 1.3
>I downloaded several ATM fonts from garbo.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.37)
>(directory pc/win3/fonts)
>But I could only use one font (sntfra.zip). (I used ControlPanel to
>install the font)
>Why can't I use Windows 3.0 Adobe fonts with OS/2 1.3 ??
>I thought Adobe was a standard....

Windows ATM uses only the .PFB and .PFM files of the Type 1 fonts but
OS/2 ATM needs the .PFB and .ATM files. Because most of the Type 1 fonts
floating around are from Windows ATM users, they don't include the .ATM
file :-( :-(

I have dozens of Type 1 fonts laying around, all but 6 without the .AFM
file :-(

I have already asked in comp.lang.postscript for a .PFM to .AFM
conversion but with no luck so far.

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams (MS)