[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 verses DOS environments.

etryon@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU (Earl Tryon ) (04/10/91)

Does anyone have advice on the imortance of OS/2 verses DOS
operating systems??  Can OS/2 be ported to a DOS machine to run
software designed for the OS/2 operating system??  If I buy a
less expensive DOS 386 machine, will I be unable to run future
OS/2 programs??  Is it important to buy computer that will run
OS/2 software??

Earl Tryon
--
Earl Tryon       Agridata Resources Inc.
330 E. Kilbourn Ave. Milwaukee, WI 53202

larrys@watson.ibm.com (Larry Salomon, Jr.) (04/12/91)

In <1991Apr10.155238.8773@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU>, etryon@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU (Earl Tryon ) writes:

>Does anyone have advice on the imortance of OS/2 verses DOS
>operating systems??  Can OS/2 be ported to a DOS machine to run
>software designed for the OS/2 operating system??  If I buy a
>less expensive DOS 386 machine, will I be unable to run future
>OS/2 programs??  Is it important to buy computer that will run
>OS/2 software??

OS/2 programs, if originally designed for OS/2 alone, generally cannot be
ported to DOS.

If OS/2 2.0 decides to support clones, then I suppose the answer is yes.
However, I don't know if IBM has committed 2.0 to that goal.

The computer you should buy depends on your needs:  if you want to run
Vanilla DOS, the buy a vanilla machine.  However, if you wish to run
Windows or (preferably) OS/2, then you should get a machine that can run
Windows or OS/2 *well*, that is a 386.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')
OS/2 Applications and Tools