[comp.os.os2.misc] emacs-like for OS/2?

colin@nbc1.ge.com (Colin Rafferty) (04/12/91)

Hello-

I have just found myself using a PS/2 running OS/2.  I have no choice
about what operating system to use.  I have in my entire programming
life (about eight years) only really enjoyed using emacs.  Anyway, I
need to get an editor that I can use productively that will run under
OS/2.

If someone has managed to port gnu emacs to OS/2, I would really like
to hear about that.  Otherwise, I would like to know if anyone has any
suggestions about editors that are emacs-like that run under OS/2.
Money is no object.

In fact, I could swear that I saw an article somewhere a few months
ago about all the emacs-like editors around.

If enough people ask, I will summarize my findings to the net.  If not
enough, I will send out individual summaries to those who ask.

Thank you very much.  You have no idea what this means to me.

--
Colin Owen Rafferty              |      I believe in compulsory cannibalism.
colin@nbc1.ge.com                |      If people were forced to eat

tok@slammer.UUCP (Terry Kane) (04/12/91)

You're in luck.  If money is no object, then I suggest you buy Lugaru
Epsilon for OS/2.  It is my editor of choice for bittyboxes.  Its drawbacks
are few:  it doesn't know mice (but if you're the emacs diehard that you say
you are, you don't need no stinking mouse :->) and it doesn't use a lisp
extension language - its EEL is C based.  Well, _I_ consider the latter
a disability, but, me, _I_ don't need no stinking rodent!

Command lines forever!!!

keinert@IASTATE.EDU (Keinert Fritz) (04/13/91)

In article <COLIN.91Apr11144529@nbc1.ge.com>, colin@nbc1.ge.com (Colin
Rafferty) writes:

> ... I would like to know if anyone has any
> suggestions about editors that are emacs-like that run under OS/2.
> Money is no object.

When I was still living in the PC world, I used an editor called
Epsilon, by Lugaru Software. It is totally PC based, but it comes
in three flavors, for MS/DOS, OS/2 and Unix. It has its own C-like
extension language called EEL (Epsilon Extension Language), and
comes with many features and an excellent manual.

It cost about $ 200 two years ago, and I was extremely happy with it.

I don't have an address for Lugaru handy, but they are in Pittsburgh,
and their phone number used to be (412) 421-5911.

Fritz Keinert                      keinert@vincent.iastate.edu
Dept. of Mathematics               keinert@pollux.math.iastate.edu
Iowa State University              s1fxk@ccvax.iastate.edu
Ames, IA 50011			   s1.fxk@isumvs.bitnet
Tel: (515) 294-5128

hundt@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Hundt) (04/14/91)

>> ... I would like to know if anyone has any
>> suggestions about editors that are emacs-like that run under OS/2.
>> Money is no object.

>When I was still living in the PC world, I used an editor called
>Epsilon, by Lugaru Software. It is totally PC based, but it comes

I'm running MicroEMACS, which one wonderfully kind soul has
ported to OS/2.  I got it from one of the FTP sites posted on
these os2 newsgroups.  My init file makes it use as many of the
GNU bindings as possible.  MicroEMACS is not nearly as powerful
as GNU, but it works well and takes up little room.  I run
versions under DOS, Unix and now OS/2.

-Tom Hundt

hnridder@cs.ruu.nl (Ernst de Ridder) (04/15/91)

In <COLIN.91Apr11144529@nbc1.ge.com> colin@nbc1.ge.com (Colin Rafferty) writes:

>If someone has managed to port gnu emacs to OS/2, I would really like
I believe some people are busy doing so (I forgot their names), but they're
not ready yet.

>suggestions about editors that are emacs-like that run under OS/2.
>Money is no object.

Try Epsilon by Lugaru.  A superb editor, available for PC-based DOS,
OS/2, UNIX/XENIX.  List price is $195.  Extension language is C-like
instead of LISP-like, otherwise very emacs-compatible.
Lugaru's address is:

Lugaru Software Ltd.
5843 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
TEL (412) 421-5911
FAX (412) 421-6371

>Thank you very much.  You have no idea what this means to me.
Well, I can guess; your problem sounds very familiar.

	Ernst
--
	Qualitas qualitatem inducit. Semper ego qualitatem.

popa
iret

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (04/15/91)

Several ports of MicroEMACS 3.10 are available for OS/2. I mean, they
all are nearly equal but were done by different people. One was posted in
comp.binaries.os2.

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams (MS)