[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2, LAN Man, Internal COM: Warning

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (04/20/91)

Recently I've been trying to get LAN Manager 2.0 to work with an APC 600 UPS.
I finally got support to tell me that my Northgate's internal COM: ports are
screwy and I need to buy a serial port card.

He also mentioned Dell computers have this problem.  I suggest that you call
MS before trying to use a UPS with an internal (motherboard) COM: port.

While I'm buying a COM: port, I'd like to get a couple that would work under
OS/2.  Now I have none left after the mouse and UPS.  Any suggestions?

--kyler

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (04/20/91)

In article <10875@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:
>While I'm buying a COM: port, I'd like to get a couple that would work under
>OS/2.  Now I have none left after the mouse and UPS.  Any suggestions?

I read that hayes has a high-performance serial board that has two ports on it,
and 4k worth of buffers.  I know I've seen a review saying that it has Windows
drivers that will use the buffers, and I believe that it also has OS/2 drivers.

I don't have any real information on it, and I seem to remember that it was
more expensive than a simple uart based serial port, but the fact that it
has large buffers and a controller on-board makes it ideal for high speed
transfers uder a multi-tasking OS.

I'd suggest calling hayes and finding out about it (and the drivers) if you
are interested.

Wim