[comp.os.os2.misc] DOS dual boot & shutdown

mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) (04/15/91)

I use IBM OS/2 EE 1.3 and DOS 4.01 with the Dual Boot facility.

The OS/2 User's Guide volume 1: Base Operating System says:
[page 4-6]
"SHUTTING DOWN PROGRAMS
 WARNING: If you installed the HPFS during system installation (or if
 the LAZY statement in your CONFIG.SYS file is set ON), then use this
 method of ending programs before turning off the work-station or else
 you may lose data."

Normally I select 'Shutdown' from the Desktop Manager before turning off
my system.
But when I want to boot DOS, I select 'Close All' from the Desktop Manager
and type BOOT /DOS in an OS/2 window (or click the Boot DOS icon in the
Utility group).
You can't use Shutdown before booting DOS, because shutdown will terminate
everything, including the Desktop Manager...

My question:

Is it dangerous to boot DOS this way ?
And if so, how can I boot DOS safely ?

Regards,

Matthijs van Doorn

| " To do is to be   - Nietsche  |   mabdoor@cs.vu.nl     /|   /|   /   \
|   To be is to do   - Kant      |   VU Amsterdam        / |  / |  /     |
|   Do be do be do   - Sinatra " |   Holland            /  | /  | /     |
|________________________________|_____________________/___|/___|/_____/

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (04/16/91)

In article <9656@star.cs.vu.nl> mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) writes:
>I use IBM OS/2 EE 1.3 and DOS 4.01 with the Dual Boot facility.
>
>The OS/2 User's Guide volume 1: Base Operating System says:
>[page 4-6]
>"SHUTTING DOWN PROGRAMS
> WARNING: If you installed the HPFS during system installation (or if
> the LAZY statement in your CONFIG.SYS file is set ON), then use this
> method of ending programs before turning off the work-station or else
> you may lose data."
>
>Normally I select 'Shutdown' from the Desktop Manager before turning off
>my system.
>But when I want to boot DOS, I select 'Close All' from the Desktop Manager
>and type BOOT /DOS in an OS/2 window (or click the Boot DOS icon in the
>Utility group).
>You can't use Shutdown before booting DOS, because shutdown will terminate
>everything, including the Desktop Manager...
>
>My question:
>
>Is it dangerous to boot DOS this way ?
>And if so, how can I boot DOS safely ?

I believe that doing a boot down issues the shutdown command as a system call.
By doing that, It will actually send the close message to all running Apps,
and then when it has gotten control again, actually cause the reboot.

I know that for some reason on my system, boot /dos doesn't manage to reset my
system.  It sets it up so that the next time I fire up, it boots dos, but I have
to do a shutdown and reboot the system myself.

--

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (04/16/91)

In article <9656@star.cs.vu.nl>, mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) writes:
> I use IBM OS/2 EE 1.3 and DOS 4.01 with the Dual Boot facility.
>
> The OS/2 User's Guide volume 1: Base Operating System says:
> [page 4-6]
> "SHUTTING DOWN PROGRAMS
>  WARNING: If you installed the HPFS during system installation (or if
>  the LAZY statement in your CONFIG.SYS file is set ON), then use this
>  method of ending programs before turning off the work-station or else
>  you may lose data."
>
> Normally I select 'Shutdown' from the Desktop Manager before turning off
> my system.
> But when I want to boot DOS, I select 'Close All' from the Desktop Manager
> and type BOOT /DOS in an OS/2 window (or click the Boot DOS icon in the
> Utility group).
> You can't use Shutdown before booting DOS, because shutdown will terminate
> everything, including the Desktop Manager...
>
> My question:
>
> Is it dangerous to boot DOS this way ?
> And if so, how can I boot DOS safely ?
>

> Regards,
>
> Matthijs van Doorn

I don't think so.  When you choose Shutdown, it closes all (or trys to) the
applications and windows it can find and then saves the cache to disk and
then displays a nifty little dialog that says you can now turn off your
machine safely.  When you choose to use duel boot and go to DOS, it prepares
the disk but doesn't bother closing anything.  At least that is the way
I understand it.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

To boot to DOS, I use a utility called MBOOT that was in the last issue of
PC Magazine.  When you start up your machine, it gives you a choice to boot
up under DOS or OS/2.

tim

d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) (04/16/91)

>I believe that doing a boot down issues the shutdown command as a system call.
>By doing that, It will actually send the close message to all running Apps,
>and then when it has gotten control again, actually cause the reboot.
>
>I know that for some reason on my system, boot /dos doesn't manage to reset my
>system.  It sets it up so that the next time I fire up, it boots dos, but I have
>to do a shutdown and reboot the system myself.

If the DUAL BOOT option fails to reboot your machine in OS/2, this is
typically because you haven't the DOS.SYS driver loaded.  By adding the
line "DEVICE=C:\OS2\DOS.SYS" in your CONFIG.SYS this should be avoided.
I think this is because the BOOT-program can't reboot by itself, but
has to send a special call to the DOS.SYS driver to tell it to reboot.

Mikael Wahlgren      d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se

horker@milton.u.washington.edu (Rand al'Thor) (04/19/91)

In article <9656@star.cs.vu.nl> mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) writes:
>I use IBM OS/2 EE 1.3 and DOS 4.01 with the Dual Boot facility.
>
>The OS/2 User's Guide volume 1: Base Operating System says:
>[page 4-6]
>"SHUTTING DOWN PROGRAMS
> WARNING: If you installed the HPFS during system installation (or if
> the LAZY statement in your CONFIG.SYS file is set ON), then use this
> method of ending programs before turning off the work-station or else
> you may lose data."
>
>Normally I select 'Shutdown' from the Desktop Manager before turning off
>my system.
>But when I want to boot DOS, I select 'Close All' from the Desktop Manager
>and type BOOT /DOS in an OS/2 window (or click the Boot DOS icon in the
>Utility group).
>You can't use Shutdown before booting DOS, because shutdown will terminate
>everything, including the Desktop Manager...
>
>My question:
>
>Is it dangerous to boot DOS this way ?
>And if so, how can I boot DOS safely ?

Don't worry about it.  What you are doing is fine:  closing down all your apps
and then running boot /dos.  This will not cause problems with your hpfs.

Incidentally, while you are in PM, you do not need to select "shutdown"
everytime you want to quit OS/2.  Simply doing a ctrl-alt-del is enough.  OS/2
traps the ctrl-alt-del and does a shutdown automatically.  Just a little time
saver you might be interested in.  If you want to check this for yourself,
do the 3 finger salute while you have apps open and watch your hard drive
light.  It will flash a brief flurry of activity AFTER the ctrl-alt-del.

d88-pfo@dront.nada.kth.se (Peter Forsberg) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr19.043337.25190@milton.u.washington.edu> horker@milton.u.washington.edu (Rand al'Thor) writes:
   Don't worry about it.  What you are doing is fine:  closing down all your apps
   and then running boot /dos.  This will not cause problems with your hpfs.

   Incidentally, while you are in PM, you do not need to select "shutdown"
   everytime you want to quit OS/2.  Simply doing a ctrl-alt-del is enough.  OS/2
   traps the ctrl-alt-del and does a shutdown automatically.  Just a little time
   saver you might be interested in.  If you want to check this for yourself,
   do the 3 finger salute while you have apps open and watch your hard drive
   light.  It will flash a brief flurry of activity AFTER the ctrl-alt-del.

This is actually just "half true". When you press CAD OS/2 makes all file
systems shut down (by issuing a DosShutdown() equvalent), but does NOT make
applications terminate, as the Desktop Manager Shutdown does, so you should
always make sure that you don't have any app's running with unsaved data
if you take this shortcut.

Peter Forsberg
  Royal Inst. of Tech.  &  IBM Sweden
Peter Forsberg 		      Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.
Internet: d88-pfo@nada.kth.se