[comp.os.os2.misc] Installing OS/2 1.3 on mono system

terence@ttidca.TTI.COM (Terence Davis) (04/13/91)

A student in a class I'm teaching is attempting to install OS/2 1.3 on
a machine that has only a monochrome monitor.  She understands that
there won't be any graphics nor will the PM operate, but that's the machine
she has (some kind of network setup).  I was wondering if anyone has
done this before and could send me a config.sys file to do this or let
me know what the necessary changes are.  I got into OS/2 at the 1.2 stage
so I don't have a 1.0 system to look at.

My address is:  terence@ttidca.tti.com

Thanks,

Terry

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (04/16/91)

In article <25462@ttidca.TTI.COM> terence@ttidca.TTI.COM (Terence Davis) writes:
>A student in a class I'm teaching is attempting to install OS/2 1.3 on
>a machine that has only a monochrome monitor.  She understands that
>there won't be any graphics nor will the PM operate, but that's the machine
>she has (some kind of network setup).  I was wondering if anyone has
>done this before and could send me a config.sys file to do this or let
>me know what the necessary changes are.  I got into OS/2 at the 1.2 stage
>so I don't have a 1.0 system to look at.

I don't think it is really possible.  The only time I have seen OS/2 set up to
run on a mono-only system, it was using the command shell from OS/2 1.0 in a
later version of OS/2.  (The only time I've seen this was with 1.1 OS/2)

What you would need is a program what could be the master shell(Task switcher),
and then make the changes in the config.sys to tell os/2 what shell to use.k

--

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.192557.1719@serval.net.wsu.edu> wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes:
>In article <25462@ttidca.TTI.COM> terence@ttidca.TTI.COM (Terence Davis) writes:
>>A student in a class I'm teaching is attempting to install OS/2 1.3 on
>>a machine that has only a [character-based adapter and] monochrome monitor.
>I don't think it is really possible.  The only time I have seen OS/2 set up to
>run on a mono-only system, it was using the command shell from OS/2 1.0 [...]

O.k., enlighten me on the ins and outs of the OS/2 1.3 install diskette.  It
appears to me that it is character based, supports HPFS, can run OS/2 programs,
...what else do we want here?

If this is the case, all we need is some way to set up a fixed disk to boot
like the install disk.  Hopefully we could work around the install program
that normally pops up on startup.

In fact, she could go ahead and boot with the install disk and go from there.
Seems like a pain, but if what she wants is worth it...

Also, can we start using "character-only" or something more descriptive than
"monochrome"?  I'm using my monochrome (gray scale) laptop now, and I have no
problems with PM.

I'm interested in this - Unix derivatives are being used in microcontrollers.
What about putting OS/2 in a VCR?  Tell me what you come up with.

Good luck!

--kyler

In article <10471@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:
>In article <1991Apr15.192557.1719@serval.net.wsu.edu> wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes:
>>In article <25462@ttidca.TTI.COM> terence@ttidca.TTI.COM (Terence Davis) writes:
>>>A student in a class I'm teaching is attempting to install OS/2 1.3 on
>>>a machine that has only a [character-based adapter and] monochrome monitor.
>>I don't think it is really possible.  The only time I have seen OS/2 set up to
>>run on a mono-only system, it was using the command shell from OS/2 1.0 [...]
>
>O.k., enlighten me on the ins and outs of the OS/2 1.3 install diskette.  It
>appears to me that it is character based, supports HPFS, can run OS/2 programs,
>...what else do we want here?
>
>If this is the case, all we need is some way to set up a fixed disk to boot
>like the install disk.  Hopefully we could work around the install program
>that normally pops up on startup.

Well, one thing you can do is simply take the protshell= line in the
config.sys, and make it equal to the CMD.EXE command processor.

Normally when it is set up to use PM, it says something like:
PROTSHELL=c:\os2\pmshell.exe c:\os2\os2.ini c:\os2\ps2sys.ini c:\os2\cmd.exe

Change it so all that it says is:
PROTSHELL=c:\os2\cmd.exe

and the system will boot and come up with a command prompt, but I don't know
how you would switch processes.

Wim.
--

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.013032.3021@serval.net.wsu.edu>, wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes:
> In article <10471@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:
>>>I don't think it is really possible.  The only time I have seen OS/2 set up to
>>>run on a mono-only system, it was using the command shell from OS/2 1.0 [...]
>>
>>O.k., enlighten me on the ins and outs of the OS/2 1.3 install diskette.  It
>>appears to me that it is character based, supports HPFS, can run OS/2 programs,
>>...what else do we want here?
>>
>>If this is the case, all we need is some way to set up a fixed disk to boot
>>like the install disk.  Hopefully we could work around the install program
>>that normally pops up on startup.
>
> Well, one thing you can do is simply take the protshell= line in the
> config.sys, and make it equal to the CMD.EXE command processor.
>
> Normally when it is set up to use PM, it says something like:
> PROTSHELL=c:\os2\pmshell.exe c:\os2\os2.ini c:\os2\ps2sys.ini c:\os2\cmd.exe
>
> Change it so all that it says is:
> PROTSHELL=c:\os2\cmd.exe
>
> and the system will boot and come up with a command prompt, but I don't know
> how you would switch processes.
I have seen adverts for & reviews of multiuser systems built on top of os/2,
where you hook terminals up to a pc running os/2 a la mainframe environment.
You don't get graphics, just character mode apps (eg wp).  I don't know
how they do it, but presumably it's by replacing protshell with some
appropriate program.  That would do the trick, I would think.

		Adrian
> Wim.
> --
> |  wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu  | The Loft BBS
> | 27313853@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu | (509)335-4339
> |  72561.3135@CompuServe.com  | USR HST Dual Standard HST/V.32
--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX

gah@hood.hood.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) (04/23/91)

I used to run 1.0.  THe program is called DMPC, or something similar.
It may still exist on the install disk.  I used to have a strange problem
getting it to run of a hard disk in 1.0, though.  I had to load cmd.exe
first, and have that load DMPC.  Otherwise it got into an infinite
DMPC load loop.

The easiest to try is to start with PROTSHELL=CMD.EXE
then you can run other programs from there.  This, in itself, only
gets you one session.  See if DMPC will run.  It has binary configuration
files like PM, but less well documented.

I tried this once, but gave up and bought a VGA board.
(After I ran PM on a CGA, that is.)

-- glen