[comp.os.os2.misc] Peer to peer network for OS/2?

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (04/26/91)

Are there any low cost peer to peer networks for OS/2?
Right now I'm running DOS and Lantastic, and from what I have been hearing
about OS/2 2.0, I'll want to switch both 386s here the minute it comes
out, but I don't want to loose the connection between the two of them.
I figure one might be able to run Lantastic in a DOS window to
transfer files, but I doubt that would allow OS/2 to see the drives,
besides, there'll be HPFS that I will want to take full advantage of.

Thanks,
Charles

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.221546.26610@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
>Are there any low cost peer to peer networks for OS/2?
>Right now I'm running DOS and Lantastic, and from what I have been hearing
>about OS/2 2.0, I'll want to switch both 386s here the minute it comes
>out, but I don't want to loose the connection between the two of them.
>I figure one might be able to run Lantastic in a DOS window to
>transfer files, but I doubt that would allow OS/2 to see the drives,
>besides, there'll be HPFS that I will want to take full advantage of.

I don't know about Low cost, but I do know that networking is relatively easy
under OS/2 because you don't have to work in the multi-tasking, as it is part
of the operating system.

I don't really know the costs, but I know that LanMan operates for me as
a server on my 286 with 4.5 megs of memory..  I am running a peer server
and can access the drives from my XT.

I picked up LanMan while I was working at MS, so my cost was extremely low.

I assume any network that will work under OS/2 will give you the ability to
do what you want..  The biggest problem will likely be if you get support
for your current network cards...

Wim.