[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 Reading DOS disks

MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) (04/26/91)

Hi all..  I have a little question..  I would like to run OS/2 1.3
and DOS 5 on seperate partitions so I can use the HPFS and especially
the longer filenames.. :)   Anyways, I have managed to FTP about
30megs of various OS/2 programs from sites and download them..
Here on campus, we have various IBM/PC labs with DOS 4.01 installed.
I could FTP the OS/2 programs down to floppy disks on these machines,
and that would be MUCH faster than over my 2400 baud modem.  My
question is will the HPFS be able to read the OS/2 programs from
DOS disks?  Has anyone had any experience in this sort of thing?
Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated..  Thanks..

--Matt Richmond
#include <standisc.h>                        MSR113@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
                                             richmond@endor.cs.psu.edu
"That which does not kill us,                mattsr@vivaldi.psu.edu
 makes us strong."  --from Conan the Barbarian

spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu (D. Robert Spexet II) (04/26/91)

In article <91115.140200MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu> MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) writes:
>I could FTP the OS/2 programs down to floppy disks on these machines,
>and that would be MUCH faster than over my 2400 baud modem.  My
>question is will the HPFS be able to read the OS/2 programs from
>DOS disks?  Has anyone had any experience in this sort of thing?

Yes, OS/2 will be able to read the DOS disks.

Because OS/2 can have multiple installed file systems going at the same time,
one can have both FAT volumes (such as FAT-formatted hard disks, and *all*
floppy disks [all floppy disks use the FAT file system, they are never for-
matted under HPFS]) and HPFS volumes accessible at the same time.

Hope this helps,

-D. Robert Spexet II, Post Office Box 14909, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55414-0909
 Internet:  spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu
 BITNET:    spexet@umnacux.BITNET
 UUCP:	    rutgers!umn-cs!ux.acs.umn.edu!spexet

yev_g@athena.mit.edu (Yevgeny Gurevich) (04/26/91)

OS/2 CAN read DOS floppies.  Once you transfer the data to floppies and then
use the normal copy command to move the files to (I assume) your HPFS
volume, you will have no trouble executing the files.  In fact, the ability
of OS/2 to read from DOS floppies has nothing to do with HPFS.
HPFS was written strickly for hard drives.  OS/2 takes care of getting data
from an HPFS volume and moving it to an FAT.

[============================================================================]
[ Yevgeny Gurevich	  | yev_g@athena.mit.edu	\.\...]...........// ]
[ 500 Memorial Drive	  |				 \.\..]..........//  ]
[ Cambridge, Mass. 02139  |				  \.\.].........//   ]
[ ========================|				   \.\]__......//    ]
[ "Tech is Hell!"					    |.]__\..../|     ]
[===========================================================|.]...\../.|=====]
							    |_]____\/__|

nick@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (Nicola Fumai) (04/26/91)

In article <91115.140200MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu>
  MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) writes:

>Hi all..  I have a little question..  I would like to run OS/2 1.3
>and DOS 5 on seperate partitions...

Wow! This is news to me. Is DOS 5 out? Where? Could we have more details
please? Inquiring minds want to know!

nick
--
Nicola Fumai                  | We're so sorry, Uncle Albert. But the kettle's
nick@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu  | on the boil, and we're so easly called away...