[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 2.0beta availability -- IBM flame

mg@cs.Princeton.EDU (Michael Golan) (04/26/91)

Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) writes:

>u8902741@cs.uow.edu.au (Kiddie) writes:
>|>
>|> Whats the reason for this policy ? It doesnt make too much sense to

>The Beta code is available on
>a special system (not on a toll free number) so that only those seriously
								 ^^^^^^^^^
>interested will get a copy.
 ^^^^^^^^^^
Oh great. If this is any clue as to how IBM think OS/2 should look like,
we can expect to have some important, yet obscure feature given only at
page 1539 of the manual	, because IBM figured that "only those seriously
interested will read the manual carefully".

>You are not allowed to redistribute the code
>after you get it - this is because when you download it, you read a set
>of conditions and agree to the statements, and if the code is passed on,
>there is no guarantee that these conditions are known. Also if you get it
>from the BBS, IBM will have a log of who has it.

Obviously, downloading it with a 2400 modem will take 20 hours, which
is ridicules. I guess IBM thinks that only people who can afford a 9600
modem are "serious" (Thanks god, it doesnt have to have an IBM tag on it,
does it? Getting a true blue 9600 must really make you a serious person.
Or maybe serious really means a sucker?)

Again, if this kind of attitude is what's coming with OS/2, god help us.
But maybe, just maybe, IBM got it right. Mistakes do happen, you know ...

Lighten up, IBM (ha!) One way to make sure everyone log into the BBS,
accept the agreement, etc, is to put 99% of the software on an ftp site,
and just the missing 1% in a direct BBS dialup! Or, you could put the complete
software encoded with a password, and give the password only to users who
log in, telling them not to redistribute the password. And these ideas only
took 2 minutes to come up with. I am sure even IBM can come up with something
like this (or maybe not?)

This is not a personal flame against anyone who posted to this group. The
information you have all provided is quite useful.

  Michael Golan
  mg@princeton.edu
"how we gonna do it? we gonna PS on it! The solution (the final one) is IBM!"

dinda@cat55.cs.wisc.edu (Peter Dinda) (04/27/91)

I am getting a bit annoyed at the IBM Flames.  You should really be
thankful that a company is willing to share Beta Code AT ALL.  Then to
whine about it not being on an ftp site is ridiculous.  After all, IBM wants
to (and has a right to, I might remind you) make MONEY on this product.
Thus the limitation on Beta distribution.  Finally, do you REALLY want beta
code?  I personally think I'll wait until I get that little upgrade notice
in the mail...

Peter A. Dinda

#include <stddisclaimer.h>

Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr26.092659.2639@newross.Princeton.EDU>,
mg@cs.Princeton.EDU (Michael Golan) writes:
|> Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) writes:
|> >The Beta code is available on
|> >a special system (not on a toll free number) so that only those
|> seriously
|> 			  					    ^^^^^^^^^
|> >interested will get a copy.
|>  ^^^^^^^^^^
|> Oh great. If this is any clue as to how IBM think OS/2 should look
|> like,
|> we can expect to have some important, yet obscure feature given only
|> at
|> page 1539 of the manual, because IBM figured that "only those
|> seriously
|> interested will read the manual carefully".

Calm down. IBM do not want to give EVERYBODY a copy of the beta code.
They don't intend to give everyone a free OS. Making it require an effort
to get it should restrict the tyre-kickers.

|> Obviously, downloading it with a 2400 modem will take 20 hours, which
|> is ridicules. I guess IBM thinks that only people who can afford a 9600
|> modem are "serious" (Thanks god, it doesnt have to have an IBM tag on it,
|> does it? Getting a true blue 9600 must really make you a serious person.
|> Or maybe serious really means a sucker?)

The Beta code BBS had 8 lines running HST Dual standard modems. Just shut
up and check your facts before you post.
The NSC system itself has about 40 lines running a mixture of HST Dual
standards, Hayes V32 V42s, IBM 2400's and some other type.

|> Again, if this kind of attitude is what's coming with OS/2, god help us.
|> But maybe, just maybe, IBM got it right. Mistakes do happen, you know ...

What are you on about? Distributing betas at all seems like a pretty good
attitude to me.

|> Lighten up, IBM (ha!) One way to make sure everyone log into the BBS,
|> accept the agreement, etc, is to put 99% of the software on an ftp site,
|> and just the missing 1% in a direct BBS dialup! Or, you could put the
|> complete
|> software encoded with a password, and give the password only to users
|> who
|> log in, telling them not to redistribute the password. And these
|> ideas only
|> took 2 minutes to come up with. I am sure even IBM can come up with
|> something
|> like this (or maybe not?)

The Internet is NOT the be-all and end-all of distribution methods. IBM is
not really a TCP/IP shop, if you hadn't noticed.
The sysops said on the system that they DON'T want 100,000 CS students
ftping the stuff. As it was they were flooded with people trying to get it.
It now looks like they will be restricting the beta to those who were
users of the NSC system before the beta was made available - those who
have been supporting OS/2 - reporting problems, and so on.
They should probably restrict it to those who own OS/2 1.X.

There is an easier way for those in the US to get the beta. Go to your local
IBM branch and ask if you can join the 'Early Experience' program for OS/2
2.0.

Just lighten up.

--
Conrad Bullock                     | Domain:   conrad@comp.vuw.ac.nz