[comp.os.os2.misc] Make availability

micah@leland.Stanford.EDU (Micah Doyle) (05/04/91)

I'm looking for a replacement for Microsoft's make, which can't handle
the depth of my dependencies (Microsoft make has a 10-deep dependecy
limit).  Are there better makes available under OS/2?  Has anyone
ported gmake?

						micah doyle
						micah@leland.Stanford.EDU

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.171547.25470@leland.Stanford.EDU>
 micah@leland.Stanford.EDU (Micah Doyle) writes:
>I'm looking for a replacement for Microsoft's make, which can't handle
>the depth of my dependencies (Microsoft make has a 10-deep dependecy
>limit).  Are there better makes available under OS/2?

The folks who wrote ndmake (a widely available shareware make for DOS) have
written a package called OPUS make for both DOS and OS/2.  I particularly
like the makefile generator that comes with the software.  It's reasonably
priced (~$100 +-25, I think.)  I used Opus when I set up the build procedure
for EASEL/Win and now you can do an entire build complete with dependency
updates with a single command.  I've only recently gotten involved with our
OS/2 development efforts, but plan to lobby for its use there as well.

Opus Software is in San Francisco.  I know the Programmer's Shop carries their
products as well.
--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com
Principal Software Engineer, Easel Corporation