[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 2.0 Beta and Windows binaries

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (05/02/91)

Does the current OS/2 2.0 beta version include the BCL (Binary Compatability
Layer) for running Windows binaries directly, or do Windows apps have to be
run inside a DOS box (and thus in real mode)?  Or is there any official word
from IBM on whether the first 2.0 commercial release will have this, or
whether it'll be in something like 2.1?

For me, this may be the deciding factor for getting OS/2 onto my home machine;
I can't afford to upgrade to OS/2 versions of my software...

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

d88-pfo@dront.nada.kth.se (Peter Forsberg) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.222608.8493@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

   Does the current OS/2 2.0 beta version include the BCL (Binary Compatability
   Layer) for running Windows binaries directly, or do Windows apps have to be
   run inside a DOS box (and thus in real mode)?  Or is there any official word
   from IBM on whether the first 2.0 commercial release will have this, or
   whether it'll be in something like 2.1?

The BCL is not in the current beta, but will be in the release version, and in
later betas.

--
-- Peter A Forsberg
   Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.

towfiq@FTP.COM (Mark Towfiq) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.222608.8493@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

Tom> Does the current OS/2 2.0 beta version include the BCL (Binary
Tom> Compatability Layer) for running Windows binaries directly, or do
Tom> Windows apps have to be run inside a DOS box (and thus in real
Tom> mode)?  Or is there any official word from IBM on whether the
Tom> first 2.0 commercial release will have this, or whether it'll be
Tom> in something like 2.1?

Peter> The BCL is not in the current beta, but will be in the release
Peter> version, and in later betas.

Just as an interesting exercise, I tried to figure out the Binary
Compatability Layer on our copy of the beta 2.0 here at FTP.  I took a
usual Windows executable (I think it was CLOCK.EXE, either the release
or the one in the windev samples directory), and tried to run it from
a full screen session.  Itstead of getting an error message, I got the
usual PM "snap" from full-screen to PM, and then back to full screen,
with the message "The system cannot find the file .".  I began to
wonder, ran EXEHDR on the executable, and found out it was looking for
THREE DLLs!  The three were called kernel, gdi, and user.  I found
executables by this name in the \windows\system directory on my DOS
machine, so I copied them over and looked at those with exehdr, and
they were exporting the very functions which the clock program was
trying to import.

So then I tried renaming the gdi, user, and kernel executables to
DLLs, but of course that didn't work.  Nevertheless, the point I
wanted to make is that it seems as though they are just going to
furnish DLLs in OS/2 which map the native windows stuff to PM --
pretty snazzy huh?

--
Mark Towfiq, FTP Software, Inc.                                  towfiq@FTP.COM
Work No.: +1 617 246 0900			      Home No.: +1 617 488 2818

  "The Earth is but One Country, and Mankind its Citizens" -- Baha'u'llah

d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.222608.8493@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>Does the current OS/2 2.0 beta version include the BCL (Binary Compatability
>Layer) for running Windows binaries directly, or do Windows apps have to be
>run inside a DOS box (and thus in real mode)?  Or is there any official word
>from IBM on whether the first 2.0 commercial release will have this, or
>whether it'll be in something like 2.1?

The OS/2 2.0 beta previous available at the Atlanta IBM BBS was the .123
release that Microsoft released earlier.

IBM demonstrated some different OS/2 2.0 versions some weeks ago, which each
of them contained some important features, like the BCL (but wasn't called
BCL), ability to boot different DOS versions in the DOS-boxes, new graphics
look.  They didn't have an OS/2 2.0 version that had ALL of these features,
but rather three versions that each of them had ONE of these.  This is
because IBM have different developement teams that each of them are
responsible for different features, and that should be merged into one
single version before release.

None of these versions have been available outside IBM.

My conclusion is that the first release of OS/2 2.0 from IBM, WILL include
BCL, DOS boot capability, new graphics look and so on.

Mikael Wahlgren      d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se

d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) (05/05/91)

>Just as an interesting exercise, I tried to figure out the Binary
>Compatability Layer on our copy of the beta 2.0 here at FTP.  I took a
>usual Windows executable (I think it was CLOCK.EXE, either the release
>or the one in the windev samples directory), and tried to run it from
>a full screen session.  Itstead of getting an error message, I got the
>usual PM "snap" from full-screen to PM, and then back to full screen,
>with the message "The system cannot find the file .".  I began to

I think that OS/2 2.0 detect that you try to run a DOS-application, even if
you try to start it from the OS/2 session, and switch to a DOS-session instead.
Probably this is true with Windows programs too.

Mikael Wahlgren      d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se