[comp.os.os2.misc] Misc. questions on OS/2 1.3 and OEMs

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (05/01/91)

In article <20873.281c58ee@oregon.uoregon.edu>, michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:
> Is OS/2 1.3 compatible with ISA clones?
At least some of them: it's compatible with 2 AMI bios machines I have.
> Does it offer the possibility of
> displaying the gorgeous wallpapers that Windows 3.0 can display?
No
> Does
> Microsoft offer OS/2 1.3 at all, or MUST I go through an OEM to get it?
No, they don't; yes you must.
> OEM only have version 1.21 so far.  If I have an OEM's version of OS/2,
> will I be able to upgrade to IBM's 2.0?
I doubt it very much.  If you get IBM's 1.3, you will be able to upgrade.

--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX

Spiro the Spiny Goldfish <MXD118@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/02/91)

In article <412.281ebbb2@mbcl.rutgers.edu>, goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu says:

>In article <20873.281c58ee@oregon.uoregon.edu>, michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu
>writes:
>> Does it offer the possibility of
>> displaying the gorgeous wallpapers that Windows 3.0 can display?
>No

Well,  the OS doesn't do it itself - but I've seen approximately a billion
(give or take a million) shareware programs that'll do it for you.
Michael E. Dahmus              MXD118@PSUVM / dahmus@endor.cs.psu.edu

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (05/03/91)

In article <412.281ebbb2@mbcl.rutgers.edu> goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>In article <20873.281c58ee@oregon.uoregon.edu>, michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:
>> Is OS/2 1.3 compatible with ISA clones?
>At least some of them: it's compatible with 2 AMI bios machines I have.
I have two of them too, that run 1.3 with no problems (well, nearly ..).

>> Does it offer the possibility of
>> displaying the gorgeous wallpapers that Windows 3.0 can display?
>No
There is a nice utility called DESKPIC which not only allows to display
bitmaps on the desktop, but also can stretch them to the actual screen
size and can show animation on the desktop background (such as fishes
swimming on it) and includes a screen saver (it is much like Screen
Peace for Windows except for the added features).

>> Does
>> Microsoft offer OS/2 1.3 at all, or MUST I go through an OEM to get it?
>No, they don't; yes you must.
For clones, you probably can use IBM's version as most clones are MORE
IBM-compatible than Compaq's or other machines are.

>> OEM only have version 1.21 so far.  If I have an OEM's version of OS/2,
>> will I be able to upgrade to IBM's 2.0?
>I doubt it very much.  If you get IBM's 1.3, you will be able to upgrade.
Only your OEM will update, if they have newer version.

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams (MS)

roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (05/04/91)

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
>goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>>michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:
>>> Does
>>> Microsoft offer OS/2 1.3 at all, or MUST I go through an OEM to get it?
>>No, they don't; yes you must.
>For clones, you probably can use IBM's version as most clones are MORE
>IBM-compatible than Compaq's or other machines are.

Please note that this isn't ALWAYS the case...older Toshibas will fail to
boot the installation floppy.  In older releases of 1.2 this was extremely
fatal; in later releases (and, presumably, in 1.3) it was possible to fix
it by replacing the floppy's boot record.

I understand that newer Toshibas don't have this problem.  The BIOS in
question is Award v2.00.  Toshiba does, of course, sell their own version
of OS/2, but the lag time is approximately a year (1.2 came out just as
IBM's 1.3 did).  Look for version 2.0 sometime in early '93...  (1/2 :-) )

Oh, and note also that this problem has nothing to do with the weird
pseudo-AT&T plasma display mode.  Standard OS/2 EGA drivers work fine
with an external display.

Greg

jeffmcd@microsoft.UUCP (Jeff MCDOUGALL) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May2.190002.8474@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE>, rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:

> >> Does
> >> Microsoft offer OS/2 1.3 at all, or MUST I go through an OEM to get it?
> >No, they don't; yes you must.
> For clones, you probably can use IBM's version as most clones are MORE
> IBM-compatible than Compaq's or other machines are.

You meant to say LESS compatible than Compaq's, right?  Otherwise this is
bogus.  Compaq is very near the top of the list, if not AT the top, of
OEMs with well-behaved hardware.

jeff mcdougall