[comp.os.os2.misc] os/2 2.0 Beta -- does any one have it?

kushner@ux5.lbl.gov (Gary Kushner) (05/02/91)

I was just wondering if anyone actually got a complete copy of the Beta?

-Gary

hundt@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Hundt) (05/04/91)

kushner@ux5.lbl.gov (Gary Kushner) writes:

>I was just wondering if anyone actually got a complete copy of the Beta?
>-Gary

If it was anything like the beta copy we had around here (before
the downloading business started), I wouldn't want it (yet): ours
was pretty easy to crash.  (Like, loading Word caused problems.)

I'm going to wait for 2.1 :-) :-)

-Tom Hundt

d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) (05/05/91)

In article <hundt.673302961@samadams> hundt@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Hundt) writes:
>kushner@ux5.lbl.gov (Gary Kushner) writes:
>
>>I was just wondering if anyone actually got a complete copy of the Beta?
>>-Gary

I know two persons that actually managed to download the whole package.  I
have also heard that only about 5 persons did manage to successfully download
a copy without CRC-errors, before the file was on hold.

Mikael Wahlgren      d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se

AVP100@psuvm.psu.edu (05/06/91)

Hi:
   For those who did not get the complete OS/2 beta, IBM is mailing the complet
e beta to them.  This only applies to those people who d/l'ed it before the res
trictions.  Latest postings from the IBM BBS indicate that only people who were
 members before 4/30 will be allowed to d/l the OS/2 program when it is restore
d to the BBS.  BTW, d/l takes about an entire day to d/l at 2400.

                                                        A.P.

ford@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Dan Ford) (05/08/91)

hundt@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Hundt) writes:
> kushner@ux5.lbl.gov (Gary Kushner) writes:
>
> >I was just wondering if anyone actually got a complete copy of the Beta?
> >-Gary
>
> If it was anything like the beta copy we had around here (before
> the downloading business started), I wouldn't want it (yet): ours
> was pretty easy to crash.  (Like, loading Word caused problems.)
>
> I'm going to wait for 2.1 :-) :-)

Well, I've been using a pre-release of OS/2 2.0 for over a year now, and I
haven't hung the machine in a long time (and BTW I load Word all the time).
I have found it a fairly solid platform.  Clearly there are still rough edges,
but even with those, after using it for some time now I wouldn't switch to
anything else.  The truth is that OS/2 is NOW a better DOS than DOS and it
will soon be a better Windows than Windows.  How much do you enjoy watching
that hourglass in Windows, I rarely see it for any noticeable time in OS/2 2.0.

Dan Ford