[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 benefits.

duggan@ecs.umass.edu (05/06/91)

Hello,

I have a question. Being a relatively new user into the world of OS/2 by
virtue of the fact that these are the systems I am performing some research
on. I was wondering about the expected longevity of the OS/2 operating
system and if it is possible to place it on a IBM-CLONE. Would a Compaq work
well under OS/2? Or is this operating system mainly PS/2 based?

I am considering purchasing a machine, but must first consider the operating
system. Also, is there any other system that can take advantage of the
32-bit processors? Does IBM PS/2 fully take advantage of them?

How compatible/expensive are the peripherals for the PS/2? I attempted to
buy a mouse for a system owned by a friend and was told that only the high
priced mouses were available.

Any information that I can acquire regarding this matter will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

	John F. Duggan

internet: DUGGAN@ECS.UMASS.EDU
bitnet:   DUGGAN@UMAECS

d88-pfo@dront.nada.kth.se (Peter Forsberg) (05/08/91)

In article <13565.28258a0e@ecs.umass.edu> duggan@ecs.umass.edu writes:

   Hello,

   I have a question. Being a relatively new user into the world of OS/2 by
   virtue of the fact that these are the systems I am performing some research
   on. I was wondering about the expected longevity of the OS/2 operating
   system and if it is possible to place it on a IBM-CLONE. Would a Compaq work
   well under OS/2? Or is this operating system mainly PS/2 based?

I believe that Compaq sells their own version of OS/2 licensed from MS. IBM
OS/2 is also known to run on several clones, although it is (I think) only
officially supported for the IBM platforms (PS/2 and the old AT).

   I am considering purchasing a machine, but must first consider the operating
   system. Also, is there any other system that can take advantage of the
   32-bit processors? Does IBM PS/2 fully take advantage of them?

I don't quite get what you're after here. The 386-based PS/2's exploit the
32 bit processor because the system bus (Microchannel) supports 32 bit
adapters. This is also true for the various (ugh) EISA-based system units.
As for 32-bit *operating systems* I know of OS/2 2.0 (of course!), various
**IX-implementations and maybe some others (DOS-extenders ?).

--
Peter A. Forsberg
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.

tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) (05/08/91)

duggan@ecs.umass.edu writes:

> Would a Compaq work
> well under OS/2? Or is this operating system mainly PS/2 based?

I believe Compaq sells a version of OS/2 optimized for their hardware,
presumably based on Microsoft's version 1.21.

> Also, is there any other system that can take advantage of the
> 32-bit processors? Does IBM PS/2 fully take advantage of them?

32-bit UNIX is available for 386 and 486 machines.   Those PS/2s with 386 and
486 processors do have 32-bit data paths, so they do take advantage of the
32-bit processors.  The question is a little vague, however.

> How compatible/expensive are the peripherals for the PS/2? I attempted to
> buy a mouse for a system owned by a friend and was told that only the high
> priced mouses were available.

What do you consider "high priced"?  You can get a Microsoft Mouse for $85
mail order that plugs right into the PS/2 mouse port.  The IBM mouse, with
educational discount, runs about $60, as I recall.

ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au (05/08/91)

In article <13565.28258a0e@ecs.umass.edu>, duggan@ecs.umass.edu writes:
> ...I was wondering about the expected longevity of the OS/2 operating
> system

I expect OS/2 2.x will last 2-3 years after release then OS/2 3.x will
be the new kid on the block.  Apparently version 3 will be compatible,
so that shoudln't be too traumatic a change.

I think you might be looking at the end of the century before it
is totally transmogrified into something else.

> and if it is possible to place it on a IBM-CLONE. Would a Compaq work
> well under OS/2? Or is this operating system mainly PS/2 based?

Compaq uses the OEM version, which means it is about 6 months or more
behind IBM's latest version.  Microsoft has only just started shipping
OEM OS/2 1.3.  In any event many clones run IBM's OS/2.  This is possible
because IBM have to support the zillion IBM ATs out there, which almost
all 80286/80386 clones attempt to be compatible with.

> I am considering purchasing a machine, but must first consider the operating
> system. Also, is there any other system that can take advantage of the
> 32-bit processors? Does IBM PS/2 fully take advantage of them?

Unix is the other major 80386 player (the other group is probably the
"multi-DOS" crowd).  There are many Unix implementations.  Two that
specifically support the IBM PS/2 range are SCO OpenDesktop and IBM's
own AIX.  At education prices they are still expensive...

> How compatible/expensive are the peripherals for the PS/2? I attempted to
> buy a mouse for a system owned by a friend and was told that only the high
> priced mouses were available.

At education pricing (which I presume you can get) IBM's stuff isn't
too bad, and competes well with the well-known brands.  IBM still can't,
nor perhaps should they, compete with the lower-end clones.  Peripherals
such as disk drives can get expensive, but many 3rd party peripherals are
just as good or better than IBM's.  The Microsoft Mouse is a good example.

Mark Kosten