[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 2.0 on an sx and an assortment of other questions

magid@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (05/09/91)

I have a 20mhz sx, and I have seen the claims that OS/2 2.0 runs dos
faster than dos does and windows programs faster than windows does.
Will this be true on my sx also.

Does anyone know of any plans for Turbo Pascal for OS/2 2.0

If one of the windows programs I intend to run under OS/2 crashes will
it bring down all my other windows programs, and leave all dos and os/2
progs unharmed, or is the protection absolute?  ie: if one windows
program crashes it will have absolutely no conceivable effect on anything
else at all.

Will printing from a windows prog require that the windows print manager be
loaded, or will the OS/2 equivalent grab the output.  {any possibility of
it doing the same for dos}

Thank you in advance.

Paul

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.204058.14655@agate.berkeley.edu> magid@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:
>I have a 20mhz sx, and I have seen the claims that OS/2 2.0 runs dos
>faster than dos does and windows programs faster than windows does.
>Will this be true on my sx also.

It may or it may not, but the speed increase is not the big factor.  It's
the memory increase for DOS apps, and the protection of all tasks.  On a
true 386, the speed will be greater, but I'm not sure for an SX.

>Does anyone know of any plans for Turbo Pascal for OS/2 2.0

Ask Borland.

>If one of the windows programs I intend to run under OS/2 crashes will

Every task is separate, whether it be OS/2, DOS, or Windows.  No single
task should effect another.

>Will printing from a windows prog require that the windows print manager be
>loaded, or will the OS/2 equivalent grab the output.  {any possibility of
>it doing the same for dos}

I'm not sure about this one, but I would bet you don't need Windows print
manager.  Even if you do, no big deal, it's just another task.

--
NOTICE: Due to the complexity of nearly all topics, the opinions expressed
above are in continual process of formation and may be changed without notice.

Wayne Hayes     INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca        CompuServe: 72401,3525

tok@slammer.UUCP (Terry Kane) (05/09/91)

> Does anyone know of any plans for Turbo Pascal for OS/2 2.0

Why don't you contact Borland and ask them?  If they start thinking
that the public wants it, they'll develop it!

blake@nthropy.uucp (Blake Freeburg) (05/10/91)

  About Turbo products for OS/2, I had a talk with a real Borlander who
gave a presentation here in Austin about Borland C++ and OOP.  We took
him out to dinner later and I asked "Is OS/2 in the future for Borland?"
He simply said "Yes" and then we changed subjects.  Take it for what it
is worth.

Blake Freeburg
The opinions here are my own.