[comp.os.os2.misc] grep for OS/2

jeanette@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Jeanette Skelton) (05/10/91)

I'm looking for a cheap, robust grep for OS/2. We've tried the
MKS tools grep on DOS, but it chokes on the number of files we
have. If you know of anything, please post it here or send me
email.

Jeanette Skelton
jeanette@hpmcaa.hp.com

d88-pfo@alv.nada.kth.se (Peter Forsberg) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May09.183913.6421@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com> jeanette@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Jeanette Skelton) writes:

   I'm looking for a cheap, robust grep for OS/2. We've tried the
   MKS tools grep on DOS, but it chokes on the number of files we
   have. If you know of anything, please post it here or send me
   email.

   Jeanette Skelton
   jeanette@hpmcaa.hp.com

I have seen GNU grep/egrep/fgrep ported to OS/2 around on several FTP-sites,
e.g. nic.funic.fi (which is of course in Europe, so please don't use it from
the US if you don't have to), mims-iris.waterloo.edu etc.

--
Peter A. Forsberg
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.

GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May09.183913.6421@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com>,
jeanette@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Jeanette Skelton) writes:
>I'm looking for a cheap, robust grep for OS/2. We've tried the
>MKS tools grep on DOS, but it chokes on the number of files we
>have. If you know of anything, please post it here or send me
>email.
>
>Jeanette Skelton
>jeanette@hpmcaa.hp.com

Jeanette,

Uwe Rommel has ported what I believe is the GNU GREP, and quite a
few other Unix utilities, to OS/2.  I obtained my copy from
LISTSERV@BLEKUL11.BITNET, which I've found to be an excellent source
for OS/2 utilities.  I believe it's also available from
comp.binaries.os2, though I've not looked.

Sandy Rockowitz
gd.sar@forsythe.stanford.edu