[comp.os.os2.misc] Drag-and-Drop

mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) (05/13/91)

Two weeks ago I posted the following question:

> In OS/2 1.2 & 1.3 it is possible to make a program which supports the
> File Manager's 'drag-and-drop'-interface.
>
> (E.g. the Print Manager and the shareware PMZIP.)
>
> I want to support this in my programs.
>
> So you select one or more files in the File Manager, and then drag them to the
> window or icon of your own application.
>
> My question: How can I support this in my own PM-programs ??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthijs van Doorn
>
> Note: I can't find anything about it in the online-Programming Reference

Since then there has been a lot of confusion.

For those of you who don't know what drag-and-drop means:
  Try to ftp PMZIP, a very handy program which is a good demonstration
  of the drag-and-drop interface. (you can also get it from Blekul)

I use OS/2 1.3 with the 1.2 toolkit (IBM)
The drag-and-drop is undocumented in this toolkit.

But PMZIP works on 1.2, so 1.2 can support it.

* MY QUESTION:
* Can someone post a little sample program (with source of course) which
* demonstrates how to program the drag-and-drop ???

It is so usefull, and would make programs a lot fancier.

Think of this: A PM file Browser which support drag-and-drop:
  You select a file in the FileManager, and drag it to the Browser icon...
  That would be GREAT !!! (I always want to view a file when I'm working
  with FileManager, and have to exit it first and reselect the file using
  the PM Browser list-box.... :-) )

Thanks !

Matthijs van Doorn

| " To do is to be   - Nietsche  |                        /|   /|   /   \
|   To be is to do   - Kant      |   mabdoor@cs.vu.nl    / |  / |  /     |
|   Do be do be do   - Sinatra " |   VU Amsterdam       /  | /  | /     |
|________________________________|_____________________/___|/___|/_____/

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (05/13/91)

In article <9918@star.cs.vu.nl>, mabdoor@cs.vu.nl (Doorn van MAB) writes:
> Two weeks ago I posted the following question:
>

>> In OS/2 1.2 & 1.3 it is possible to make a program which supports the
>> File Manager's 'drag-and-drop'-interface.
>>
>> (E.g. the Print Manager and the shareware PMZIP.)
>>
>> I want to support this in my programs.
>>
>> So you select one or more files in the File Manager, and then drag them to the
>> window or icon of your own application.
>>
>> My question: How can I support this in my own PM-programs ??
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matthijs van Doorn
>>
>> Note: I can't find anything about it in the online-Programming Reference
>>

> Since then there has been a lot of confusion.
>

> For those of you who don't know what drag-and-drop means:
>   Try to ftp PMZIP, a very handy program which is a good demonstration
>   of the drag-and-drop interface. (you can also get it from Blekul)
>

> I use OS/2 1.3 with the 1.2 toolkit (IBM)
> The drag-and-drop is undocumented in this toolkit.
>
> But PMZIP works on 1.2, so 1.2 can support it.
>
> * MY QUESTION:
> * Can someone post a little sample program (with source of course) which
> * demonstrates how to program the drag-and-drop ???
>
> It is so usefull, and would make programs a lot fancier.
>
> Think of this: A PM file Browser which support drag-and-drop:
>   You select a file in the FileManager, and drag it to the Browser icon...
>   That would be GREAT !!! (I always want to view a file when I'm working
>   with FileManager, and have to exit it first and reselect the file using
>   the PM Browser list-box.... :-) )
>
> Thanks !
>
> Matthijs van Doorn

> | " To do is to be   - Nietsche  |                        /|   /|   /   \
> |   To be is to do   - Kant      |   mabdoor@cs.vu.nl    / |  / |  /     |
> |   Do be do be do   - Sinatra " |   VU Amsterdam       /  | /  | /     |
> |________________________________|_____________________/___|/___|/_____/

You don't need a new File Browser to be able to do drag and drop.  What you
can do is to make the file browser exe a member of a program group.  Then
you can just drag & drop from the file browser onto the icon in the program
group.  That's what I do with all the programs I use a lot (eg a DOS! uudecode;
PM Unzip, file browser, file finder, etc....)  If you want to get fancy, you
can do like this (my os/2 wordperfect "Parameters box" entry):
	/m=[Enter startup macro] %*
This will take a file that you have dragged & dropped from the file manager,
and also prompt you for a macro that you enter.

	I hope this helps,

				Adrian
--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu