[comp.os.os2.misc] PMWord + OS/2 2.0

janeri@Lise.Unit.NO (Jan Eri) (05/10/91)

Has anybody experience with Word for PM and OS/2 2.0 ?
Is it any way to make it work properly?

Jan
janeri@lise.unit.no

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.122342.23053@ugle.unit.no>, janeri@Lise.Unit.NO (Jan Eri) writes:

> Has anybody experience with Word for PM and OS/2 2.0 ?
> Is it any way to make it work properly?
>
> Jan
> janeri@lise.unit.no

PM Word works fine under OS/2 2.0 beta 6.123 (feb).  Even the latest beta of
Exl 3.0 works...

tim
LAN Admin
International IS&DP
3M, Inc.

ford@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Dan Ford) (05/14/91)

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:
> In article <1991May10.122342.23053@ugle.unit.no>, janeri@Lise.Unit.NO (Jan Eri) writes:
> >
> > Has anybody experience with Word for PM and OS/2 2.0 ?
> > Is it any way to make it work properly?
> >
> > Jan
> > janeri@lise.unit.no
>
> PM Word works fine under OS/2 2.0 beta 6.123 (feb).  Even the latest beta of
> Exl 3.0 works...
>
> tim
> LAN Admin
> International IS&DP
> 3M, Inc.

No, there are certain configurations for which PM Word does not work with the
OS/2 2.0 beta.  We were not able to get PM Word to work with the most recent
release of the OS/2 2.0 beta (however Excel does work fine).  We submitted a
service request to MS Online and they sent us a special version of the
PMWORDU.DLL which they use internally for PM Word, but which has not been
released to the public.  If you have an online account you should be able to
ask them for it. PM Word is not externally supported under OS/2 2.0 as of now.

Once I got the DLL everything worked fine.

Dan Ford
Hewlett-Packard

joeb@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Joe Barnhart) (05/14/91)

In comp.os.os2.misc, tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:

  | PM Word works fine under OS/2 2.0 beta 6.123 (feb).  Even the latest beta of
  | Exl 3.0 works...

I don't know what's different about my system, but PM Word fails horribly
under OS/2 2.0 beta 6.123.  Not only does it fail to work, it also
corrupts the system, forcing my to power off and restart to get OS/2 to
work reliably again.

The Microsoft rep I cornered on Compuserve just said, "we support PM Word
on released version of OS/2 only."  He hinted that there were problems in
IBMs code.  Since PM Word is the only one of my apps which fails in such
a bizarre manner, I took this with a large grain of salt.

-- Joe B.

#include <standard.disclaimer>