[comp.os.os2.misc] IBM OS/2 1.3 pricing

bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (05/09/91)

I'm trying to find out if anyone has confirmation of the lower prices
of OS/2 1.3.  I chatted with an IBM rep at an IBM show here on campus
two weeks ago, and he said that the price of OS/2 1.3SE retail is now
$150.  I notified the campus computer dealer rep of that right then
and there, just in case he missed that.  Well, I've been checking in
every couple of days or so, and our campus computer dealer hasn't
heard of any price changes... they still have it at $198 edu price.
I tried calling IBM Direct, but after being shuffled around, (including
more than one person wondering what OS/2 was and if IBM sold it), the
ball got dropped and I haven't heard anything from them.  If this is
indicative of the enthusiasm and commitment of IBM on OS/2, then things
really are in sorry shape.

*real bummed out*

So... can anyone confirm the price change and force it through
channels so that my dealer can sell it to me at the new price?
Thanks.
--
Bill Chin			internet:bchin@umd5.umd.edu
U-Maryland, College Park        *Standard Disclaimers Apply*

tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) (05/09/91)

Bill Chin writes:

> I'm trying to find out if anyone has confirmation of the lower prices
> of OS/2 1.3.  I chatted with an IBM rep at an IBM show here on campus
> two weeks ago, and he said that the price of OS/2 1.3SE retail is now
> $150.  I notified the campus computer dealer rep of that right then
> and there, just in case he missed that.  Well, I've been checking in
> every couple of days or so, and our campus computer dealer hasn't
> heard of any price changes... they still have it at $198 edu price.

I can't speak authoritatively, but I think the situation goes something
like this.  Commercial computer retailers, like Computerland, can set
their own prices, driven by desired profit margins, volume, and so on.
Thus they are free to adjust prices quickly in response to whatever price
changes IBM may choose to make.  University bookstores, on the other hand,
must sign a contractual agreement with IBM to offer their products at the
educational discounted price.  The bookstores can't unilaterally change
their prices.  Price changes will generally take place when the contract
is renewed, presumably at least once a year, but perhaps more often than
that.  To get a price change sooner than that, somebody (either the
bookstore or IBM) will need to initiate a special round of contract changes
that both parties agree to.  So the price change should eventually happen.
but not as quickly as on the retail market.  Maybe you can inquire as to
when the next price list will be agreed to by your bookstore and IBM.

roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (05/09/91)

In article <8546@umd5.umd.edu> bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) writes:

>I'm trying to find out if anyone has confirmation of the lower prices
>of OS/2 1.3.
>  [etc.]
>every couple of days or so, and our campus computer dealer hasn't
>heard of any price changes... they still have it at $198 edu price.

Gee...IBM must not like Maryland.  Our old 1.3SE price was $153; I
just called a couple days ago, and, after digging around for a few
hours, the campus MicroDude reported the new discounted price at $87.

Unfortunately, neither he nor the person at IBM PC Orders (800 826-6208)
could confirm the "press reports" (?) of a free upgrade to 2.0 when it
comes out.  What's the real story here?  Is this an officially announced
policy or just an undocumented-but-real internal one?  Not that I'm
waiting to find out...at this price I can take my chances.

>So... can anyone confirm the price change and force it through
>channels so that my dealer can sell it to me at the new price?

You could transfer... :-)

Greg

larrys@watson.ibm.com (Larry Salomon, Jr.) (05/09/91)

In <8546@umd5.umd.edu>, bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) writes:
>ball got dropped and I haven't heard anything from them.  If this is
>indicative of the enthusiasm and commitment of IBM on OS/2, then things
>really are in sorry shape.

Things are in sorry shape if it is that bad.  :-/  Sometimes, I feel that
marketing is like a flat tire on a Porsche 928S:  this fantastic car
can't go anywhere because the tire won't roll.  Of course, this is my
personal opinion.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

Mahoney@emdisle.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Mahoney) (05/10/91)

 BC> I'm trying to find out if anyone has confirmation of the lower
 BC> prices of OS/2 1.3.

   I believe I saw an announcement that the Educational price for OS/2 EE 1.3 is $109. The normal list price is $150, and the upgrade price from DOS is $99.

--
Mike Mahoney - via FidoNet node 1:300/14
UUCP: uunet...!noao!coyote!emdisle!Mahoney

gt7801a@prism.gatech.EDU (Jason Wright) (05/10/91)

larrys@watson.ibm.com (Larry Salomon, Jr.) writes:

>Things are in sorry shape if it is that bad.  :-/  Sometimes, I feel that
>marketing is like a flat tire on a Porsche 928S:  this fantastic car
>can't go anywhere because the tire won't roll.  Of course, this is my
>personal opinion.

Yes, marketing has alot to do with an operating system's success.
1.3 and Windows 3 were announced at about the same time.  (Hey aren't
we coming up on the 1 year mark?)  Man, that was some big press
conference when Win3 was announced...alot of marketing, and it is
selling well.

However, if the operating system is like OS/2 2.0 ( if all goes well )
and the same aggresive marketing strategies are used, we should see
OS/2 2.0 selling better than Windows 3.0 did.  The fact that PS/2 's
will eventually come packaged with OS/2 should help.  Also, with a
large installed base of Windows applications out there, users will not
have to worry about sacrificing their investment in Win apps.

Larry:  I enjoyed "THE RACE HAS JUST BEGUN" in PC WEEK, 4/29
--
Jason Wright                             gt7801a@prism.gatech.edu
OV/2 Performance Department              Computer Science Undergrad

yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) (05/11/91)

I'm sorry, this is not a flame.  This is just some experience of trying to
get IBM OS/2 from several dealers.  I know that in my past messages, I been
critical of OS/2 based upon my opinions of using 1.x (except 1.3).  Anyway,
this morning I visited 4-5 dealers and I couldn't buy it off the shelve.  They
didn't have in stock and would take 4-6 weeks.  Well:

Computerland - First store I went to went out of business, the second
store, OS/2 1.3 WASN'T listed in there computerized inventory.  After 1.5
hours, they had to call corporate to get a pricing.  They had 1.3 listed
in their catalog, with the reference number, but the local store didn't
have a copy.  Corporate said that it was BACKORDERED and that IBM won't
resolve it for a couple of weeks (3 or 4).  They said that IBM wasn't fulfilling
the orders for 1.3 and etc...   I put my name on the waiting list.

Computer Factory- Didn't have it.. not on inventory list, don't carry it,
although they are an IBM Business Partner.. (they made some excuse about
being just authorized), but CF been a partner for years.  I asked if I could
be on a waiting list, got TURN DOWN, said they couldn't tell me when they
will even have it.

Egghead- 6 weeks and have to put 25% of the price up front.  If they can't
get it in 6 weeks and if I cancel the order, I lose the 25% deposit.  No
returns etc..

Computer Programmer- They didn't carry OS/2 and I asked them where can I
find it.  They said I CAN'T buy it.. It comes with the hardware and I would
have to buy a computer system from them to get a copy.

IBM Stores- Never even checked, they charge retail prices ($150).

Okay, I don't mean to flame, BUT if IBM wants OS/2 to be a success, THEY
BETTER make it so people can BUY it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am SO MAD, that
it will take WEEKS for getting the order.  THIS is STUPID!!!!!!  Did I try
to get OS/2 that was reasonable?  I think that most end-users would have
been frustated by now, since they can't buy OS/2 in a reasonable time.  I
might have tried mail-order but it would have been longer.

Microsoft made Windows 3.0 easily available with upgrades at Eggheads or
at computer stores.  ON May 17, while they were introducing Windows 3.0 in
New York, California, I walked into Eggheads and brought a copy.  I paid $99
and had a copy in my hand.

I should be able to pay $100+ and have a copy in my hand at the SAME time.

It is frustrated, when the Computerland order comes in, I might just say
NO, thanks...  I am MAD!!!  I hope whoever from IBM is reading this understands
the frustation of TRYING to buy the product.  (oh, I'm not a student, so
forget about local universities)..

Matter of FACT, I want an EXPLAINATION from someone at IBM...

-- On the other hand, Unix isn't available off the shelve either, right?
Well, yes and NO, SCO and Interactives gave me the names of dealers in the
area and they had the product on-hand, so I could buy it and be in my
hands at the same time.  It isn't true for OS/2

--
-- Robert aka Crimson Avenger      (yee@rpi.edu or crimson_avenger@mts.rpi.edu)
   Once a hacker, always a hacker. (usere3jp@rpitsmts.bitnet)

bradleyt@spot.Colorado.EDU (Todd Bradley) (05/11/91)

In article <xr0gyj-@rpi.edu> yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) writes:
>I'm sorry, this is not a flame.  This is just some experience of trying to
>get IBM OS/2 from several dealers.  I know that in my past messages, I been
>critical of OS/2 based upon my opinions of using 1.x (except 1.3).  Anyway,
>this morning I visited 4-5 dealers and I couldn't buy it off the shelve.  They
>didn't have in stock and would take 4-6 weeks.  Well:

Woeful story deleted...

>I should be able to pay $100+ and have a copy in my hand at the SAME time.

I agree.  But you shouldn't feel so bad.  You aren't the only one
having problems ordering OS/2.  I have had as much trouble as you
getting OS/2 also and I've got my own ridiculous story as well.
I can't believe it is so hard to convince somebody to take my
money in exchange for a product they should be desperately wanting
to sell.

>It is frustrated, when the Computerland order comes in, I might just say
>NO, thanks...  I am MAD!!!  I hope whoever from IBM is reading this understands
>the frustation of TRYING to buy the product.  (oh, I'm not a student, so
>forget about local universities)..

Don't think that being a student makes it any easier.  My own
on-campus IBM authorized dealer is filled with salespeople who
either have no clue as to what OS/2 is or want me to pay too
much for it.  Even with the educational discount, their price
for the SE 1.3 comes to $153.  I told them I can get it for that
price at Computerland without any discount whatsoever.  They
just said "Well, do it."

>Matter of FACT, I want an EXPLAINATION from someone at IBM...

I understand how you feel and agree completely.  On the other
hand, from what I've heard of people trying to deal with IBM
directly, they aren't any more helpful than the uninformed
retailers.  I hope somebody at IBM is listening, too (though
it's probably too much to ask for them to care).

>--
>-- Robert aka Crimson Avenger      (yee@rpi.edu or crimson_avenger@mts.rpi.edu)
>   Once a hacker, always a hacker. (usere3jp@rpitsmts.bitnet)

Todd.

| bradleyt@spot.Colorado.EDU    | (303) 443-6317 home		|
| BRADLEY_T@CUBLDR.COLORADO.EDU | (303) 492-5826 office	|

gt7801a@prism.gatech.EDU (Jason Wright) (05/11/91)

bradleyt@spot.Colorado.EDU (Todd Bradley) writes:

>I understand how you feel and agree completely.  On the other
>hand, from what I've heard of people trying to deal with IBM
>directly, they aren't any more helpful than the uninformed
>retailers.  I hope somebody at IBM is listening, too (though
>it's probably too much to ask for them to care).
>| bradleyt@spot.Colorado.EDU    | (303) 443-6317 home		|
>| BRADLEY_T@CUBLDR.COLORADO.EDU | (303) 492-5826 office	|
Whenever I deal directly with IBM, I do so via mail, and I have
had no problems.  There is a chance, though, that on the phone
you will not awaken the brightest guy/girl.  As a result you will
either have to wait for the smart one or get no help at all.

I cannot speak for IBM, but it appears to me that most of the
problem lies in the dealers.  When I bought my OS/2 1.3, I did
so through MR. MICRO...none were in stock, but they did order
1.3 SE for me.
A couple of weeks later, I was there (having already paid) and
was about to walk out with a nice package: OS/2 1.3 Extended
Edition (for the price of the Standard Edition!)  I could not
do it.  I handed it back to them and waited another couple of
weeks for my SE to show up.
It is difficult to determine whether the fault was in MR. MICRO,
the authorized IBM dealer, or with the IBM guys that received
the order and shipped the dealer the wrong package.

What was nice, however, was MR. MICRO's letting me borrow their
store sample copy of OS/2 1.2 while I was waiting for 1.3 to
arrive.  What a noble gesture <:-}

It is true, though, that a list of IBM authorized dealers from
a couple of months ago is outdated.  (At least in my area)
They pop up and shut down [too] frequently.

[opinions are my own]
--

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (05/13/91)

In article <427.282A38E3@emdisle.FIDONET.ORG>, Mahoney@emdisle.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Mahoney) writes:

>  BC> I'm trying to find out if anyone has confirmation of the lower
>  BC> prices of OS/2 1.3.
>
>    I believe I saw an announcement that the Educational price for OS/2 EE
1.3 is $109. The normal list price is $150, and the upgrade price from DOS
is $99.

> --
> Mike Mahoney - via FidoNet node 1:300/14
> UUCP: uunet...!noao!coyote!emdisle!Mahoney
> INTERNET: Mahoney@emdisle.FIDONET.ORG

I think you mean SE (Standard Edition) not EE (Extended Edition)...

tim
LAN Admin
International IS&DP
3M, Inc.

Mahoney@emdisle.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Mahoney) (05/15/91)

In an article of <13 May 91 00:01:02 GMT>, tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:

>    I believe I saw an announcement that the Educational price for
>OS/2 EE 1.3 is $109. The normal list price is $150, and the upgrade >price from DOS is $99.

>I think you mean SE (Standard Edition) not EE (Extended Edition)...

Quite right. EE is about $650. Thanks for the correction.