[comp.os.os2.misc] Keyboard Problems with HP vectra RS 20

martin@jennifer.verfahrenstechnik.rus.uni-stuttgart.de (Martin Hepperle (PACP)) (05/09/91)

Hi, Windowians,

I am using a HP Vectra RS/20 with an old style Keyboard layout
(function keys on top and on the left side, 10 F-keys).
I am using Windows in enhanced and in standard mode. If I start
up in standard mode the keyboard works OK in DOS and Windows apps.
When I start Windows in enhanced mode (preferable for me to have
DOS in a window), I am getting trouble with my keyboard in DOS
programs. The keyboard seems to get sticky after a while, but
only concerning the Ctrl, Alt, Shift and Escape keys. This results
e.g. in ^C when I typed a 'C' without Ctrl. If I press and release
the Ctrl key it sometimes works like a toggle, a 'C' afterwards gives
me the 'C'. The same happens with Alt and Shift (especially funny
when I am in a DOS editor and try to delete a character by pressing
'Delete' and the keyboard thinks I am pressing 'Ctrl'-'Alt'-'Delete').
The problem shows up not immediately after starting Windows, but
after playing a while, switching between DOS and Windows.
I have EMMexcluded A000 to EFFF, removed my DOS 4.01 keyboard drivers
switched off HP-IL and EXBIOS, but nothing helped.
Hmm. I was so happy to run 386enh mode after I had purchased my copy
of HP-DOS 4.01, but now I am not so happy anymore. Maybe I should buy
a better buy a taiwan clone next time ? (no flames please).

Someone out there in space who had the same trouble, HP listening ?

Thanks, Martin.

jfarley@pollux.svale.hp.com (Jens Farley) (05/13/91)

(Martin Hepperle (PACP)) writes:

> I am using a HP Vectra RS/20 with an old style Keyboard layout

> When I start Windows in enhanced mode (preferable for me to have
> DOS in a window), I am getting trouble with my keyboard in DOS
> programs. The keyboard seems to get sticky after a while, but

> Maybe I should buy
> a better buy a taiwan clone next time ? (no flames please).

> Someone out there in space who had the same trouble, HP listening ?

Maybe if you were running OS/2 I'd be able to help you out. . .      :-)

Jens Farley
Hewlett-Packard
Flame Throwing Division

joeb@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Joe Barnhart) (05/16/91)

I might suggest that you contact HP.  HP has local sales and support
worldwide, including Germany.  (I doubt your proposed Taiwan clone
offers the same degree of support.)

-- Joe B.

#include <standard.disclaimer>