[comp.os.os2.misc] SE vs EE, whats the difference?

pasquale@sgl (Pasquale Leone) (05/16/91)

Everybody keeps talking about OS2 Standard Edition and Extended Edition.
In addition to this there is various talk about the PM (presentation
manager). The PM is I assume the GUI for OS2.

This is my question;

What comes with which "edition" and where does the PM come in?

pasquale@sgl.ists.ca

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (05/17/91)

In article <22959@ists.ists.ca>, pasquale@sgl (Pasquale Leone) writes:
> Everybody keeps talking about OS2 Standard Edition and Extended Edition.
> In addition to this there is various talk about the PM (presentation
> manager). The PM is I assume the GUI for OS2.
>
> This is my question;
>
> What comes with which "edition" and where does the PM come in?
>

> pasquale@sgl.ists.ca

PM is the GUI for OS/2 and is automatically installed when you install OS/2.

OS/2 Standard Edition is just the OS/2 operating system.  OS/2 Extended Edition
is the OS/2 operating system plus Communications Manager, LAN Requester, and
Database Manager.

With OS/2 2.0, Standard Edition and Extended Edition will be no more.  The
Communications Manager and DataBase Manager will be sold separate from the main
package and the LAN Requester will be bundled with IBM's LAN Server product.

tim
LAN ADmin
International IS&DP
3M, Inc.