[comp.os.os2.misc] Adaptec SCSI and OS/2

bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (04/24/91)

I just got an Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller, and installed it
last night.  To my dismay, the drivers were for OS/2 1.1, dated
1989!!!  Figuring that the packaging was old, and there would
be newer drivers on their BBS, I called their BBS long distance.
The drivers I have turn out to be the latest they have.  Due
to some delays as Microsoft, they haven't been able to release
them and are talking about a June release date, according
to the sysop in some messages that I scrolled through.  So those
of you that had hoped to have HPFS running on an Adaptec right
now will be dissappointed.  I got the Adaptec partially
because of the driver support :-( not thinking that I would
have to question what version of OS/2 it supported.

My question is thus:  is this an Adaptec problem, or is it
an IBM/MS OS/2 driver support problem?  The sysop hinted
that they were waiting for MS to release a standard SCSI
interface (shades of Advanced SCSI Programming Interface (ASPI))
??  Are there other SCSI boards out there that support OS/2 1.3?

Is June a realistic date?? Should I return the Adaptec and go
to Future Domain, WD, etc. for better support?

I have no problems with the hardware... it seems to coexist
just fine with my MFM HD/FD controller, and it functions
under DOS/Windows w/o problems.  I also liked the amount
of technical info they gave in their manuals, including
a quick install guide.
--
Bill Chin			internet:bchin@umd5.umd.edu
PC/IP, Computer Science Center	NeXTmail:bchin@is-next.umd.edu

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/25/91)

I strongly recommend forgetting SCSI if you want to run OS/2.
Think IDE drives instead.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com

jan1073@isc.rit.edu (J.A. Nedelka ) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.033305.10133@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
>I strongly recommend forgetting SCSI if you want to run OS/2.
>Think IDE drives instead.
>--
    That's funny, I thought that SCSI was probably the best route to go
for mutitasking systems.  My rapidly aging memory doesn't help me much
here, but I seem to recall that the engineering behind SCSI made it more
appropriate for Unix or OS/2.  I'll have to see if I can find where I
read that...

--
Jan A. Nedelka            /   "So much for true love!"
The Fourth Doctor         /         ---Ursula, the Sea Witch

bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.033305.10133@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
>I strongly recommend forgetting SCSI if you want to run OS/2.
>Think IDE drives instead.

Wait a minute here...  There are very strong reasons to go to SCSI...
IBM itself has gone from ESDI to SCSI (their new 80s, 90s, & 95s),
as well as a large part of the computing world (Sun, Dec, Apple, NeXT).
Beyond the technical and user advantages of using SCSI over IDE,
such as daisy chaining 7 devices, high speed, flexibility of
using the bus for more than just hard drives, and more,
SCSI is a major standard.  For OS/2 to ignore it is to shoot
itself in its foot.  SCSI has *major* advantages in multi-platform
environments, or where a number of devices need to be hooked up
to a machine.

Anyways, it seems that the reason Adaptec hasn't updated its
drivers is because its waiting for Microsoft to finalize some
things.  I believe that they didn't just write a driver for the
Adaptec line, but implemented the ASPI (Advanced SCSI Programming
Interface), thus causing the delays.  So for now, I'm using
1.1 drivers w/ FAT partitions.  And I had just gotten used
to HPFS too.  :-)

--
Bill Chin			internet:bchin@umd5.umd.edu
PC/IP, Computer Science Center	NeXTmail:bchin@is-next.umd.edu
U-Maryland, College Park        *Standard Disclaimers Apply*

larrys@watson.ibm.com (Larry Salomon, Jr.) (04/26/91)

In <1991Apr25.033305.10133@netcom.COM>, feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

>I strongly recommend forgetting SCSI if you want to run OS/2.
>Think IDE drives instead.

Any particular reason?  We have a model 90 with SCSI drive running 1.3
and used as a LAN server and we have gotten excellent performance from
it (the hard disk is rather small, but I will be receiving 2 Seagate
Wren VII 1G SCSI drives, so I'll be reporting on those when we've had a
chance to play with them for a bit).

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.121820.2635@watson.ibm.com> larrys@yktvmv writes:
>it (the hard disk is rather small, but I will be receiving 2 Seagate
>Wren VII 1G SCSI drives, so I'll be reporting on those when we've had a
>chance to play with them for a bit).

Wow.  Must be nice to have space....

I've been wondering if anyone has a SCSI system hooked up on a machine that
does what I'd really like when I get some money:

One SCSI Host adapter, (Meanining it only takes up one SLOT)
One SCSI Tape Backup,
One SCSI CDrom Drive, (Or more)
One SCSI Hard drive, (OR more)
(Are there any SCSI scanners available out there?)

And most importantly, if this would be accessable under OS/2.

Wim.
--
|  wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu  | The Loft BBS
| 27313853@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu | (509)335-4339
|  72561.3135@CompuServe.com  | USR HST Dual Standard HST/V.32

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/27/91)

I recommend SCSI (Adaptec) highly to UNIX users. I repeat: if you're
interested in OS/2, forget SCSI for at least a year. IDE drives are
automatically supported by each new release of OS/2. Sadly, such is
not the case with SCSI.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com

longman@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Colin Longman) (04/27/91)

I must question your statement that SCSI drives are not supported by OS/2.  The university here is an IBM dealer and we have purchased a couple of Model 90 and Model 95 machines.  These machines are SHIPPED with SCSI drives and OS/2 1.3 works just fine on them.  While we don't have our beta of 2.0 yet, we have every reason to believe that is will have absolutely no problems supporting SCSI drives as well.

Since IBM took control over for 1.3 (and subsequently 2.0), I think that they would have designed it to work with their own machines.

jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi (JP Koivisto) (04/29/91)

Funny, but I have a 25MHz 386 with Adaptec 1542A controller.
There's also a 300MB SCSI-disk & 150MB streamer.  We also had
a Sun386i which was unused - I tried the 300MB disk from Sun386i
and put in it as a second drive AND IT WORKED (without even formatting),
too bad I couldn't keep it!
(In fact we also tried the SIMMs from the Sun386i AND THEY WORKED, too!
I wonder if the 80387 from the Sun386i....)

I've had it ever since October 1989 and I got DOS 4.01 & OS/2 1.1
with it when I got it!  Both worked fine etc...

End of last year I got an upgrade of OS/2 to 1.21 and it still works.

I work at "Nokia Data" in Finland.  That used to be "Nokia Data Systems"
but end of last year the production & marketing/selling where split
and "Nokia Data Systems" is the one making the machines/systems.
(I hope I've got it at least basicly right).

The point is, this european company (based in Stockholm, Sweden) is
fairly big and they make their own machines.

The DOS AND OS/2 versions are also 'Nokia' versions, ie. they have
been fitted for these machines.

The version of OS/2 I'm using says something like this on bootup
(I took the strings from 'OS2LDR' & 'DISKN1.SYS' with 'strings'
 command as they usually flash by too quick to really memorize
 them.  I'm 99% sure these are just what I see when booting...):

	Microsoft Operating System/2 Version 1.21
	(C) Copyright Microsoft Corp. 1981-1990. All rights reserved.

	Nokia Data Systems OS/2 Revision 1.21B
	(C) Copyright Nokia Data Systems AB  1990

	SCSI Manager 1.2 / 1990-10-12 by Nokia Data Systems AB installed

I'm not sure what is the truth, but I seem to recall that the
1542-driver has been 'made' HERE, either from scratch (which I doubt)
or at least by licensing some source from Adaptec!
THIS PURELY MY GUESS, based on some rumours...

The DISKN1.SYS also contains the string 'SCSIMGR$' which I saw also in a
version of 'ASPI4OS2.SYS' which was supposed to be loaded when running
SYTOS.  However, the 'ASPI4OS2' ain't needed with Nokia's OS/2!
(Hmm, I think version 1.1 of Nokia OS/2 DID need some special driver
 when using the streamer)

SO, AN OS/2 DRIVER FOR Adaptec 1542A IS NOT A MYTH.
IT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED FOR A YEAR NOW!

By the way, the same OS/2 can be used on a 'old' AT (MAD Technologies
10Mhz 286, with ordinary 70MB Micropolis disk).  You don't need the
DISKN1.SYS then, it uses DISK01.SYS in that case!

jpk	- JP Koivisto, Nokia Data OY, Helsinki, Finland
---
EMail:	jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi
Discl.:	My opinions, my experiences, might not be facts!

bking@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Barry King) (04/29/91)

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

> I recommend SCSI (Adaptec) highly to UNIX users. I repeat: if you're
> interested in OS/2, forget SCSI for at least a year. IDE drives are
> automatically supported by each new release of OS/2. Sadly, such is
> not the case with SCSI.
> --

There are other ways to go.  If you don't need more than 2 SCSI devices
you can use a DPT SmartConnex HBA (comes in ISA/EIASA and cahceing
versions of each) which emulates a WD-1003x controller.  Excellent
performer.  Word has it that DPT is soon to release OS/2 SCSI drivers
also.  We're using Adaptec HBA's in MCA Lan Server machines running OS/2
v1.2 (non-HPFS) and things work fine.  No HPFS though...

Anyway, if people need/want to get into SCSI now, there are alternatives.
 The DPT boards are top notch and are great performers.

Barry King             ersys!bking@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/30/91)

What you mean is OS/2 will have absolutely no problem supporting IBM
SCSI running on PS/2 machines. That's not what I call adequate OS/2
support for SCSI.
--

seg@ingres.com (scott e garfinkle) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr26.214258.5463@serval.net.wsu.edu> wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes:
>I've been wondering if anyone has a SCSI system hooked up on a machine that
>does what I'd really like when I get some money:
>
>One SCSI Host adapter, (Meanining it only takes up one SLOT)
>One SCSI Tape Backup,
>One SCSI CDrom Drive, (Or more)
>One SCSI Hard drive, (OR more)

I have the Adaptec 1542b, an Archive 2150S tape drive, and a Microplolis 330mb
hard disk running OS/2 1.21 (using the Adaptec 1.1 drivers).  No CD Rom yet,
though that should not be a problem, as the Adaptec board seems pretty much
to be the standard for such things.  As many people have pointed out,
it remains to be seen whether I will be able to use OS/2 2.0 on this machine.
Oh, the rest of the machine is an Everex Viewpoint VGA (nice 800x600 or
1024x768 interlaced PM drivers) and a Multisync 3D on a 386/20 with 8mb mem.
	-scott garfinkle

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (05/01/91)

In <1991Apr27.031316.20745@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

:I recommend SCSI (Adaptec) highly to UNIX users. I repeat: if you're
:interested in OS/2, forget SCSI for at least a year. IDE drives are
:automatically supported by each new release of OS/2. Sadly, such is
:not the case with SCSI.
:--
:David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
:EMAIL: netcom.com

I still haven't figured out why anyone would want an operating
system divided by 2 (OS/2).  Ignorance seems the only excuse.
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

jeffmcd@microsoft.UUCP (Jeff MCDOUGALL) (05/04/91)

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

> I recommend SCSI (Adaptec) highly to UNIX users. I repeat: if you're
> interested in OS/2, forget SCSI for at least a year. IDE drives are
> automatically supported by each new release of OS/2. Sadly, such is
> not the case with SCSI.
> --

Not yet, anyway.  But it's definitely closer than one year.

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (05/09/91)

I'll believe that any given (current) version of OS/2 supports SCSI
when I can use it on my (nonIBM) ISA 386 with my adaptec 1542a
controller. Everybody lies when they promise SCSI support for OS/2
"real soon now". OBTW: How about the OS/2 CDROM support that Microsoft
promised for a year ago last January?

--

acress@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Andy Cress) (05/10/91)

In article <1991Apr26.214258.5463@serval.net.wsu.edu> wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes:
>I've been wondering if anyone has a SCSI system hooked up on a machine that
>does what I'd really like when I get some money:
>
>One SCSI Host adapter, (Meanining it only takes up one SLOT)
>One SCSI Tape Backup,
>One SCSI CDrom Drive, (Or more)
>One SCSI Hard drive, (OR more)
>(Are there any SCSI scanners available out there?)
>
>And most importantly, if this would be accessable under OS/2.
>
>Wim.
>--
>|  wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu  | The Loft BBS
>| 27313853@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu | (509)335-4339
>|  72561.3135@CompuServe.com  | USR HST Dual Standard HST/V.32

Other vendors may have solutions also, but you should definitely
check out NCR SCSI (we wrote the book on SCSI).  For example
an normal server for our new COOPERATION product line will look
like this:

NCR 486/33 MHz (comes with a SCSI adapter)
NCR OS/2, NCR LANMAN 2.0, ....
SCSI devices:
  NCR 6091 CDROM Drive
  NCR 2.2 Gb Tape unit (tapes cost $7 from WalMart)
  Hard disk storage from 1 to 10 Gb (using disk arrays)

We have one set up here, it's fast.  This may not be an impartial
plug, but judge for yourself, ask to see a demo.

Call 1-800-CALL-NCR for more information.

----
Andy Cress           acress@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM
[Insert standard disclaimer here]

jeffmcd@microsoft.UUCP (Jeff MCDOUGALL) (05/15/91)

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
> I'll believe that any given (current) version of OS/2 supports SCSI
> when I can use it on my (nonIBM) ISA 386 with my adaptec 1542a
> controller. Everybody lies when they promise SCSI support for OS/2
> "real soon now". OBTW: How about the OS/2 CDROM support that Microsoft
> promised for a year ago last January?

"Everybody lies" is a bit strong, don't you think?   How and when exactly
were you lied to?  How long have you been waiting for SCSI support in OS/2?

jeff mcdougall
microsoft

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (05/17/91)

Where is the OS/2 CDROM driver promised by microsoft for Nov 89?
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu