[comp.os.os2.misc] Re^2: Adaptec SCSI and OS/2

gangwani@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Sunil Gangwani) (05/11/91)

jeffmcd@microsoft.UUCP (Jeff MCDOUGALL) writes:

>feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
>
>> I recommend SCSI (Adaptec) highly to UNIX users. I repeat: if you're
>> interested in OS/2, forget SCSI for at least a year. IDE drives are
>> automatically supported by each new release of OS/2. Sadly, such is
>> not the case with SCSI.
>> --

>Not yet, anyway.  But it's definitely closer than one year.

I am one of the frustrated OS/2 device developers struggling with the
incomplete documentation, buggy debug kernel supplied by Microsoft.
They have the lousiest support for developers & all I can say is that
OS/2, Microsoft, their DDK (device driver development kit) sucks.
Microsoft are you listening? Better go for Unix than their proprietary
 OS/2. If you look around you will find a Unix that supports multiple DOS
sessions, multi-threaded, X-window support, public domain utilities, etc

Even their non-standard Presentation Manager sucks.

If anyone cares to reply, do so to gangwani@andromeda.rutgers.edu

Gangwani. D

larrys@watson.ibm.com (05/15/91)

In <May.11.03.37.58.1991.2094@galaxy.rutgers.edu>, gangwani@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Sunil Gangwani) writes:
>I am one of the frustrated OS/2 device developers struggling with the
>incomplete documentation, buggy debug kernel supplied by Microsoft.
>They have the lousiest support for developers & all I can say is that
>OS/2, Microsoft, their DDK (device driver development kit) sucks.
>Microsoft are you listening? Better go for Unix than their proprietary
> OS/2. If you look around you will find a Unix that supports multiple DOS
>sessions, multi-threaded, X-window support, public domain utilities, etc
>
>Even their non-standard Presentation Manager sucks.

Oh boy...Having writing over 40,000 lines of PM code (in C), I can relate
to what you are saying (I have run into some nasty snags in my career).
However, don't let your emotions get the best of you.

Remember, the newsgroup can be your best friend.  Ask questions.  Ask
LOTS of questions.  If we don't know the answer, it can be found.

Of course, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.  Your post sounds
like you're another "Unix puke", and if I had half a mind (and my morning
cup of coffee), I'd nuke you, like I did the last guy who tried to
invade.  But I'm feeling "kang kai" (Chinese for "generous") this
morning...  ;)

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

dougc@squid.WV.TEK.COM (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.130945.29984@watson.ibm.com> larrys@ibmman writes:
>In <May.11.03.37.58.1991.2094@galaxy.rutgers.edu>, gangwani@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Sunil Gangwani) writes:
>>I am one of the frustrated OS/2 device developers struggling with the
>>incomplete documentation, buggy debug kernel supplied by Microsoft.

   [ other typical OS/2 problems deleted to save space ]

>Of course, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.  Your post sounds
>like you're another "Unix puke", and if I had half a mind (and my morning
>cup of coffee), I'd nuke you, like I did the last guy who tried to
>invade.  But I'm feeling "kang kai" (Chinese for "generous") this
>morning...  ;)
>
>Cheers,
>Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
>OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
>IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
>Yorktown Heights, NY
>
>Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
>own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
>reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
>seriously.

Regardless of your disclaimer, you *are* speaking in behalf of IBM. Given
the efforts that IBM is making to regain it's technical credibility, I don't
think they would appreciate you pushing them back into the mainframe
mentality days.

This kind of response does not belong here, try venting your OS/2 frustrations
in alt.flame instead.

Regards, Doug.

| Doug Carter           dougc@orca.wv.tek.com            (503) 685-2780	 |
|     Working at, but not for, Tektronix, Network Displays Division.     |

larrys@watson.ibm.com (05/17/91)

In <10837@orca.wv.tek.com>, dougc@squid.WV.TEK.COM writes:
>Regardless of your disclaimer, you *are* speaking in behalf of IBM. Given
>the efforts that IBM is making to regain it's technical credibility, I don't
>think they would appreciate you pushing them back into the mainframe
>mentality days.
>
>This kind of response does not belong here, try venting your OS/2 frustrations
>in alt.flame instead.
>
>Regards, Doug.

:flame.
Okay, Doug.  Just for you, I will state FOR THE RECORD that I do not,
never intended to, and will not speak for IBM.  I never claimed to, and I
don't expect you or anyone else to misconstrue my postings as such.
Indeed, if I were speaking for IBM, or even if any IBM management (and
this newsgroup is shadowed internally) THOUGHT I was speaking for IBM, I
would have had my Internet access revoked (or worse, fired) a long time
ago.

If you intend to ignore such blatant disclaimers, then I suggest you
complain to someone who is intimidated by such prate.  ;)

Additionally, I have ALSO put in my disclaimer that I am very obnoxious.
Let me make that clear...

###     ### ####### #######   ### ###
 ###   ###  ###     ###  ###   #####
  ### ###   ######  #######     ###
   #####    ###     ###  ###    ###
    ###     ####### ###   ###   ###    OBNOXIOUS!  (Get the picture? ;)

Please look up the word obnoxious and read it aloud 5 times.  My
obnoxiousness, as well as my emotional responses to various postings, is
that of a calculated nature.  Sometimes, people need a slap in the face
to wake up to reality.

:reality.
OS/2 is *NOT* a system that will write your programs for you!  To make
matters worse, GUI programming adds to the complexity of the problem.
So, if you want to write a PM application, expect to do some work.
However, by utilitizing the comp.os.os2.programmer newsgroup to your
advantage, you will find that there are a lot of other people who have
encountered the same or similar problems and have a solution or
workaround to suit your needs.
:ereality.

My feelings are not OS/2 frustrations, but instead frustrations dealing
with Unix programmers who insist that Galileo was wrong and the universe
revolves around them.  If someone is going to give up simply because
(s)he cannot get their application to work like they want it to then they
shouldn't be programming.  Period.
:eflame.

ObOS/2:  Printing is a hassle, and printing images (e.g. bitmaps) is even
worse.  Upcoming in either my next seminar or the one following is the
end of the printing blues for application programmers.