[comp.os.os2.misc] Info-ZIP's free UNZIP v4.1 now available from SIMTEL20

roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (05/16/91)

The announcement appended below was posted to c.b.i.p.d; I'm reposting
it here because it may be of interest to folks.  Although the message
doesn't mention it, unzip 4.1 does, in fact, compile under OS/2.  Use
the "msc_os2" Makefile target and the .def file in the included OS/2
archive.  I suspect an already-compiled version will be uploaded shortly.

[It's possible that the internal archives--for OS/2, VMS, Mac, etc.--
were mistakenly left in .zip format for all the versions listed below,
not just unzip41.zip.  So y'all might wait a couple days before snarfing
this, while I check in with our Fearless Leader.  Anyone running a DOS
box who does NOT have an unzipper yet can just grab the DOS executable
at the same time.]

Greg

_____________________

I have uploaded version 4.1 of the Info-ZIP project's generic unzip
utility to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<misc.unix>
UNZIP41.ARC     Generic unzip v4.1 for free public distribution
UNZIP41.TAR-Z   Same as above, but compressed tar format

pd1:<misc.vaxvms>
UNZIP41.ARC     Generic unzip v4.1 for free public distribution

pd1:<msdos.zip>
UNZIP41.EXE     Info-ZIP's free UNZIP v4.1 for MS-DOS
UNZIP41.ZIP     C source code for free Unix/VMS/MS-DOS UNZIP

UNZIP41.EXE is a self-extracting archive created via LHA.  It contains
an MSDOS executable of Info-ZIP's generic unzip utility (compiled via
Borland's Turbo C v2.0), plus unzip.man and short text file.

This version of unzip has been ported to a wide array of Unix and
other mainframes, minis, and micros (to include MSDOS, Atari ST (kinda),
and Macintosh).  Although highly compatible with Phil Katz's PKZIP
and PKUNZIP utilities of MSDOS fame, our objective has been one of
portability and other-than-MSDOS functionality.

Please note that UNZIP41.ARC, UNZIP41.TAR-Z, and UNZIP41.ZIP all
contain the same files.  They were uploaded in three different formats
for your convenience.

David Kirschbaum
Info-ZIP Coordinator
kirsch%maxemail@uunet.uu.net
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil
kirsch@wuarchive.wustl.edu

roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (05/17/91)

I just checked:  all the archive formats are consistent--that is, you
won't need unzip to unpack unzip. :-)

Greg

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (05/17/91)

I just thought that I would mention that the new version of UNZIP for Os/2
does in fact work well with HPFS.  If you have long file names on unix, and
zip them up, you can unzip them properly on an HPFS Drive.  (No 8.3 limitation)

As yet there is not (At least that I've managed to get working) a zipper that
will deal with special names in HPFS, but at least the unzipper works.

Wim.
--

kari@nic.funet.fi (Kari Likovuori) (05/17/91)

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes:

>As yet there is not (At least that I've managed to get working) a zipper that
>will deal with special names in HPFS, but at least the unzipper works.

As a matter of fact there are. CLHARC version 1.03 handels nicely long
HPFS filenames and directory trees.

CLHAR103.LZH is available from funic.funet.fi and also from other OS/2
ftp sites.

- Kari Likovuori                 Fax: +358-0-7084441           -
- University of Helsinki       Phone: +358-0-7084364           -
- Computing Centre            DECnet: HYLK::LIKOVUORI          -
- Teollisuuskatu 23         Internet: likovuori@cc.helsinki.fi -
- SF-00510 Helsinki                   kari@nic.funet.fi        -
- FINLAND                EARN/Bitnet: likovuori@FINUH          -

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.204141.25929@serval.net.wsu.edu> wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes:
>I just thought that I would mention that the new version of UNZIP for Os/2
>does in fact work well with HPFS.  If you have long file names on unix, and
>zip them up, you can unzip them properly on an HPFS Drive.  (No 8.3 limitation)
 ^^^
Is the Unix zip already released? I would like to get it. It should be
easy to get it running under OS/2.

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams

In article <1991May17.100607.9702@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
>>zip them up, you can unzip them properly on an HPFS Drive.  (No 8.3 limitation)
> ^^^
>Is the Unix zip already released? I would like to get it. It should be
>easy to get it running under OS/2.

Sorry, no, the portable Zip for Unix has not yet been released.  If you want
to help, It is the same Info-Zip newsgroup as for the Unzipper.

I have not managed to figure out how to modify the zipper to compile correctly
on my OS/2 machine yet, and the file handling is not suitable for OS/2 at all
right now..  (Uses DosFindFirst and DosFindNext in Dos, and I'm not positive
what it does in Unix)

Wim.