[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 2.0 and Windows Support

Pete_Norloff@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Pete Norloff) (05/19/91)

 PW>  I haven't been paying attention to the OS/2 news for about 6 monthes
now,
 PW>and was wondering if things had changed.  According to some of the
messages
 PW>seen recently, OS/2 2.0 will include Windows Support?  Is this true?  Is
 PW>this the so-called "binary compatibility layer" I've heard about?  (Didn'
 PW>think that was going to be available in 2.0).

Things have changed a lot.  Yes, 2.0 will include Windows support and a
whole lot more.  You might want to have a look at the file OS2FORUM.ZIP
available here and elsewhere for a description of what IBM is up to these
days.

I think it's probably time to sell that Microsoft stock.

 PW>  Also, anyone have an updated release date of OS/2 2.0.  Last I heard
it
 PW>would be summer, but seems that's been pushed back a bit.

The official IBM line is last quarter.  I believe the current target is
September or October.  I would prefer that it ship when it's ready to ship
and not before.  Hopefully, that time will coincide with the actual ship
date.

--- msged 2.06c OS/2
 * Origin: OS/2 Shareware in Fairfax, VA: 703-385-4325  (1:109/347@fidonet)