[comp.os.os2.misc] Charge for upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0?

jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) (05/19/91)

OK.  You guys got me interested when you crossposted the reviews of
OS/2 2.0 beta version.  So I called up Elek-Tek and their price for
version 1.3 SE is $109.  I asked about an upgrade to 2.0 and they said
it WOULDN'T BE FREE.  In fact, it would cost another $109.  Strangely,
they couldn't give me the price they planned to charge for 2.0.  They
expected 2.0 to be released sometime this fall, and they characterized
the date as firm.

So, does anyone know the expected retail price of OS/2 2.0?  Can anyone
verify that they will indeed charge for an upgrade?  Aside from the
32 bit vs. 16 bit stuff, what's 2.0 got that 1.3 doesn't?  And factoring
the pricing and all, would it be worthwhile to get 1.3 and go the upgrade
route, or should I just wait until fall?

Thanks, and can someone point me to some good (as in thorough, not
necessarily favorable) reviews of OS/2?
--
John H. Kim                 | (This space to be filled when I
jokim@jarthur.claremont.edu | think of something very clever

ballard@ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (05/19/91)

In article <12152@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) writes:
>So I called up Elek-Tek and their price for
>version 1.3 SE is $109.  I asked about an upgrade to 2.0 and they said
>it WOULDN'T BE FREE.  In fact, it would cost another $109.  Strangely,
>they couldn't give me the price they planned to charge for 2.0.  They
>expected 2.0 to be released sometime this fall, and they characterized
>the date as firm.

Your dealer doesn't know what they're talking about.  There has been no
announcement of 2.0, so there is NO firm release date.  But IBM have said
they expect it to be released towards the end of this year.

At the IBM publicity shows that have taken place around North America
over the past few weeks, they have said puplicly again and again that
the upgrade to 2.0 will be free (for a limited time).  And I have it
on videotape too. They've also said that the retail price if you aren't
upgrading will be under $200US.

Considering how many people IBM have said this to at publicity shows,
the press releases they've sent out about it, the FTN video tape of the
New York demonstrations, etc., I wonder why there is so much incorrect
informations being passed around by so many dealers!

--
Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG

d88-pfo@dront.nada.kth.se (Peter Forsberg) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May18.194101.18131@unixg.ubc.ca> ballard@ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:

   [Almost whole append deleted...]

   New York demonstrations, etc., I wonder why there is so much incorrect
   informations being passed around by so many dealers!

Perhaps they're applying some wishful thinking! (I don't think they get
zip for passing on free upgrades from IBM to their customers, but as soon
as money goes back the other way they probably get their share...). Just my
personal idea...

   --
   Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
   University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
   University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-822-3074
   Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1Z2  |      Fax: 604-822-5116

/ Peter
--
Peter A. Forsberg
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.