[comp.os.os2.misc] A decent book

dinda@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Peter A. Dinda - MIC@MACC - 608/263/7744) (05/22/91)

In article <9105220801.AA92387@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org>, Andrew_Mcmillan@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Andrew Mcmillan) writes...

>Is there any astoundingly good book he can get, which will help?
>I think he might also want something to help with the API functions
>and so on as well, so I guess that's two books (never mind, his
>firm will pay!).

For an Excellent introduction to programming for straight OS/2 (ie,
non PM stuff including processes, threads, semaphores, pipes, etc.) I
would suggest looking at _Peter Norton's Inside OS/2_ by Robert Lafore
and Peter Norton.  Using this book I got up to speed an wrote a
multithreaded Data Acquistion Terminal Transaction Router within a month.

+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------+
: Peter A. Dinda              : Microcomputer Information Center at   :
: dinda@VMS.macc.wisc.edu <*> : The Madison Academic Computing Center :
: dinda@garfield.cs.wisc.edu  : 1210 W Dayton St., 1150A              :
: "Survivor of Beamerland '90": Madison, WI 53706                     :
: "Apple: Business by Lawsuit": 608 263 7744                          :
: "OOPs!"                     : #include <stddisclaimer.h>            :
+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------+

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.235411.9192@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
>The Bible is, just as for Wind*ws, the infamous "Petzold Book".  I don't
>have the ISBN number, but it's by Charles Petzold, and it's called
>either "Programming OS/2", or "Programming Presentation Manager", or
>something similar.  ...

The book is "PROGRAMMING THE OS/2 PRESENTATION MANAGER", isbn 1-55615-170-5
--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com
Principal Software Engineer, Easel Corporation