[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 1.3

sen@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Soumitra Sengupta) (12/18/90)

Has anyone got any feedback on how well the 1.3 Standard Edition work?

FDBAQ13@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (01/08/91)

We, at the University of Leuven, Belgium, received our first 2
IBM OS/2 Standard Edition 1.3 upgrades on Thursday December 20, 1990.
We were told to have one of the first official copies distributed
in Belgium.  Can't believe however that u.s. distribution is going
slower than international distribution.  In normal circumstances we
always take a two month delay into account...

karel Van der Haegen
Faculty of Economic and Applied Economic Sciences
K.U.Leuven
Belgium

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (01/08/91)

In article <8902@dog.ee.lbl.gov>, kushner@ux5.lbl.gov (Gary Kushner) writes:
> Has anyone received their 1.3 upgrade from IBM yet?

	I haven't, and I submitted my form to IBM as soon as they said I
could.....

		Adrian

Chuck_Renshaw@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Chuck Renshaw) (05/18/91)

 AB> I was told that 1.3 does not support Dos in any manner
 AB> whatsoever. Is this true?

 ML> Not true at all!  Due to the fact that it was designed
 ML> for the 286, yo have one dos session with over 500K
 ML> free.  No EMS or XMS support, thou

 JT>  I find my os/2 1.3  support DOS is good
 JT> but I have no succes in runing COMM programs ffrom DOS
 JT> any suggestions. Thanks.

Look up the setcom40 command.

--- Sirius 1.0x

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: Raven's Crescent, Hbg., PA (1:270/114)

Mark_Lehrer@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Mark Lehrer) (05/18/91)

 JT>  AB> I was told that 1.3 does not support Dos in any manner whatsoever.
 JT>  AB> Is this true?
 JT>
 JT> ML> Not true at all!  Due to the fact that it was designed for the 286,
yo
 JT> ML> have one dos session with over 500K free.  No EMS or XMS support,
thou

 JT>  I find my os/2 1.3  support DOS is good
 JT> but I have no succes in runing COMM programs ffrom DOS
 JT> any suggestions. Thanks.

I have only used COMM programs in DOS once or twice, but you CANNOT put them
in the background!

You need to get an OS/2 comm program - TE/2 is similar to Telix, there is
also a nice PM program called PMCOMM.  Both are available on a majority of
the OS/2 systems.

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02-OS/2-R4
 * Origin: The Akron Anomaly - 320 meg - V32bis/HST - 2 lines (1:157/535)

Steve_Lesner@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Steve Lesner) (05/19/91)

 JT> ML> have one dos session with over 500K free.  No EMS or XMS support,
thou

 JT>  I find my os/2 1.3  support DOS is good
 JT> but I have no succes in runing COMM programs ffrom DOS

Try procomm (PCPLUS) and Telix.  They run fine in the Box.  But keep in mind
that they will take all the CPU time away servicing Dos Com ports interupts
even under the current 2.0 Beta OS/2.  I do not advise anyone to use a Dos
box comm program when anything else is running (either in another OS/2 box,
or, in the case of 2.0, in another Dos or OS/2 box)!  Solution - None that I'
m aware of other than switching over to OS/2 com programs.  Once you do, you'
ll be glad you did.  Te/2 is a real nice drop in and replace procomm or
telix with Zmodem support.  Maxi is a great OS/2 BBS.  Swing over to OS2BBS
for more details.

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02.OS/2.B0
 * Origin: Uh Huh, OS/2, I've got the right one Baby, Uh Huh (1:141/261)

acrosby@uafhp.uark.edu (Albert Crosby) (05/23/91)

Anyone know of an anon ftp site where I can get a no-PM comm prog
other than m2zmodem?  m2zmodem is ok, but doesn't recognize ANY
alt-key combinations on my system.

BTW, I am usig an IBM Model 80, and every oce in a while, when it boots, you
have to toggle the NUM-lock key a few times before CTRL-ESC is recognized by thesystem.

And another strange bug... We're using it as a server for a small (25 8088 users
with avg load of 4-5) 3+open network.  During the load of the network server
software, the system will sometimes read drive A and hang eternally.  However,
if I swap into the DOS box before it gets to this point, the system doesn't
hang.  Any thoughts?