[comp.os.os2.misc] Multiuser OS/2

Michael_Shiels@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Michael Shiels) (05/17/91)

Disk quotas are not available in LM/LS.  I AM HOPING THEY WILL ADD IT but
they sure don't do it yet.

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02-OS/2-R4
 * Origin: RT Lab (1:250/628)

Steve_Lesner@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Steve Lesner) (05/18/91)

 KL> There is no equivalent to this in OS/2.  The closest you can come is OS/
2
 KL> on a LAN, in which files CAN have this setup.  I suppose someone could

In fact, VERY CLOSE.

 KL> There are many other examples of how Unix has the multiuser support
built
 KL> in, whereas OS/2 doesn't and needs to rely on non-standard third party
 KL> utilities. For example, Unix gives FULL access to the operating system
 KL> to multiple users.  A BBS program only gives users a menu-driven front
 KL> end.  If you pop out of the BBS to the command prompt, you get full run
 KL> of every file on the computer.

Or you could write an app that gave them the same capabilites Unix does.
But naturally, Unix does do this better because most all of the core apps
come with built in support for RS-232 connects regardless of if its a modem
or direct connect attached.  With direct screen writing programs, unless you
use something like OS2YOU (a Carbon copy type program), an OS/2 user
connecting via a modem is #hit out of luck!  But what it really boils down
to are the methods we programmers for DOS and OS/2 use to program our
applications.  For the longest time, we keep thinking 1 user, 1 machine.
Its time for all software developers to think about their applications and
optimize them to run in various scenarios (such as a modem connection in a
multi-user mode).

 KL> Unix has support for accounting.  Who did what and when, and how much
CPU
 KL> time did they use, how much DISK space, how many printed pages, etc.

Lans do the same.

 KL> Unix has support for quotas on individuals.  You can say Joe User can
 KL> only have at most 1M of disk space, and cannot run jobs at a priority
 KL> higher than X.   Joe can only access these files on the system, and not

Lans do the same.

I don't disagree with you, but there are many ways in which one could build
a fairly nice mutli-user environment on top of OS/2 with some thought and a
bit of time.

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02.OS/2.B0
 * Origin: Uh Huh, OS/2, I've got the right one Baby, Uh Huh (1:141/261)

Joe_Salemi@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Joe Salemi) (05/19/91)

In a message to Kevin Lowey <16 May 91 09:26> Eric Hall wrote:

 EH> Also, UNIX was designed for supporting dumb terminals, while
 EH> OS/2's first priority was supporting intelligent CPUs.  The guy
 EH> who owns Citrix was the "father" of OS/2 at IBM, and he swears up
 EH> and down that it was designed to support multiple users...

Under Citrix it is, anyway.  I'll be taking a look at it very soon...

--- XRS! 4.14+
 * Origin: Max's Doghouse Remote Kennel /703-548-7849/ (RAX 1:109/136.1)

jjr@sgtech.UUCP (John Radigan) (05/23/91)

From article <9105231120.AA92755@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org>, by Steve_Lesner@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Steve Lesner):

> I don't disagree with you, but there are many ways in which one could build
> a fairly nice mutli-user environment on top of OS/2 with some thought and a
> bit of time.

Check out Citrix MULTIUSER sometime; OS/2 licensed from Microsoft with multi-
user extensions. They're in Coral Springs, FL at (305) 755-0559.
--
John Radigan, Star Gate Technologies, Inc., Solon, Ohio
Email: jjr@sgtech.uucp		Telephone: (216) 349-1860 x666

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (05/23/91)

In article <9105231120.AA92755@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org>, Steve_Lesner@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Steve Lesner) writes:
>  KL> There is no equivalent to this in OS/2.  The closest you can come is OS/
> 2
>  KL> on a LAN, in which files CAN have this setup.  I suppose someone could
>
> In fact, VERY CLOSE.
>
>  KL> There are many other examples of how Unix has the multiuser support
> built
>  KL> in, whereas OS/2 doesn't and needs to rely on non-standard third party
>  KL> utilities. For example, Unix gives FULL access to the operating system
>  KL> to multiple users.  A BBS program only gives users a menu-driven front
>  KL> end.  If you pop out of the BBS to the command prompt, you get full run
>  KL> of every file on the computer.
>
> Or you could write an app that gave them the same capabilites Unix does.
> But naturally, Unix does do this better because most all of the core apps
> come with built in support for RS-232 connects regardless of if its a modem
> or direct connect attached.  With direct screen writing programs, unless you
> use something like OS2YOU (a Carbon copy type program), an OS/2 user
> connecting via a modem is #hit out of luck!  But what it really boils down
> to are the methods we programmers for DOS and OS/2 use to program our
> applications.  For the longest time, we keep thinking 1 user, 1 machine.
> Its time for all software developers to think about their applications and
> optimize them to run in various scenarios (such as a modem connection in a
> multi-user mode).

There are at least two programs (I forget the names) that are supposed to
turn os/2 into a true multiuser operating system.  Of course, you can only
do character mode apps, because you don't have the bandwidth across a serial
line interface to do PM, but it is multiuser.  I remember seeing reviews of
them in PC magazine and Byte.

// stuff deleted...

> --- Maximus-CBCS v1.02.OS/2.B0
>  * Origin: Uh Huh, OS/2, I've got the right one Baby, Uh Huh (1:141/261)
--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX