[comp.os.os2.misc] problems with OS/2

Steve_Lesner@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Steve Lesner) (05/18/91)

Freq's ACCSETUP.ZIP from my system.  Its a start.  Also, try and get linked
into the OS2BBS echo.  Netmail me if you need more info on linking into
OS2BBS.

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02.OS/2.B0
 * Origin: Uh Huh, OS/2, I've got the right one Baby, Uh Huh (1:141/261)

Mark_Lehrer@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Mark Lehrer) (05/18/91)

 JK> I am using comm port 2, and have a 16550AFN UART in that port.  I'm
also JK> loading COM01.SYS.  My modem is an ATI 2400ETC/e.  I've spent quite
 JK> bit of time trying to set it up right, but I still might be wrong.
 JK>
 JK> The whole thing is beginning to drive me nuts... how can I set up an
 JK> OS/2 BBS if I can't even set up an OS/2 comm program?

Many of us have been bitten by this one - it is a bug in COM01.SYS that has
been present since version 1.2.  You can use the version from OS/2 1.1,
which is stable (no 16550 support), or you can get a copy of the free
shareware drivers COM16550.SYS and COM16450.SYS (no 8250 version yet!).

Both are available here, as either COM01-11.ZIP or COM16550.ZIP (which
includes the '450 and '550 drivers).

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02-OS/2-R4
 * Origin: The Akron Anomaly - 320 meg - V32bis/HST - 2 lines (1:157/535)

Kyle_Petersen@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Kyle Petersen) (05/20/91)

  >In the last week I haven't been able to make a single program
  >work with my computer... the program will inevitably hang, and
  >take my serial port with it.  The only option I have is to resize
  >the application to an icon and forget about using my serial port,
  >or to reboot and try again, which I've done literally a hundred times.

FWIW, when you have the program minimized as an icon click on the icon to
bring
up the system menu and select close to terminate the program. This will keep
you from having to keep rebooting. Sorry I can't help with the hangs.

Kyle

--- msged 2.06 OS/2
 * Origin: Another OS/2 Point  (1:105/319.14@fidonet)

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (05/23/91)

In article <9105231121.AA92781@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org>, Kyle_Petersen@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Kyle Petersen) writes:
>   >In the last week I haven't been able to make a single program
>   >work with my computer... the program will inevitably hang, and
>   >take my serial port with it.  The only option I have is to resize
>   >the application to an icon and forget about using my serial port,
>   >or to reboot and try again, which I've done literally a hundred times.
>
> FWIW, when you have the program minimized as an icon click on the icon to
> bring
> up the system menu and select close to terminate the program. This will keep
> you from having to keep rebooting. Sorry I can't help with the hangs.

Alternatively, bring up the task list (clik on the right mouse button
in some blank area of the screen, go down to the offending program, highlight
it and select "End Task".

--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX