[comp.os.os2.misc] Borland

Mark_Lehrer@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Mark Lehrer) (05/18/91)

   I read on IBM's bulletin board that IBM and Borland have made agreements
for 32-bit OS/2 programming tools.   The only other thing on the BBS was
that they will ship early next year.  No mention which languages will apply,
but I imagine C++ will take top priority.

This is a pretty scary thought - Borland with OS/2 languages!!  However, it
will be awhile...

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02-OS/2-R4
 * Origin: The Akron Anomaly - 320 meg - V32bis/HST - 2 lines (1:157/535)

Steve_Lesner@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Steve Lesner) (05/19/91)

 EB> By the time you read this, you will probably already know that BORLAND
 EB> will be developing C++ (OS/2 2.0) for IBM.

Were did you hear this?  And could you elaborate on what you mean by
developing C++ for IBM?  Are you talking 32 bit compiler?  Are you talking
about Borland writing a compiler for IBM to sell?  I'm confused but I think
what you mean is they simply are writing their compiler to run under OS/2.
I'd be real interested in further material here.  I was just about ready to
write Borland off myself and never followed up with moving from C 2.0 to C++
for windows for obvious reasons.

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02.OS/2.B0
 * Origin: Uh Huh, OS/2, I've got the right one Baby, Uh Huh (1:141/261)

green@vis.toronto.edu (Anthony Thomas Green) (05/23/91)

Steve_Lesner@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Steve Lesner) writes:

> EB> By the time you read this, you will probably already know that BORLAND
> EB> will be developing C++ (OS/2 2.0) for IBM.

>Were did you hear this?  And could you elaborate on what you mean by
>developing C++ for IBM?  Are you talking 32 bit compiler?  Are you talking
>about Borland writing a compiler for IBM to sell?  I'm confused but I think
>what you mean is they simply are writing their compiler to run under OS/2.

Maybe somebody could clear this up for me. I remember reading that
Borland licenced most of their C compiler technology from Watcom.
However, when I glanced at this months Computer Language magazine, which
has benchmarks comparing the two companies' compilers, there was a large
discrepancy between their ratings.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Anthony Green
green@vis.toronto.edu

sidney@borland.com (Sidney Markowitz) (05/23/91)

green@vis.toronto.edu (Anthony Thomas Green) writes:
>Steve_Lesner@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Steve Lesner) writes:
>> EB> By the time you read this, you will probably already know that BORLAND
>> EB> will be developing C++ (OS/2 2.0) for IBM.
>
>>Were did you hear this?  And could you elaborate on what you mean by
>>developing C++ for IBM?  Are you talking 32 bit compiler?  Are you talking
>>about Borland writing a compiler for IBM to sell?  I'm confused but I think
>>what you mean is they simply are writing their compiler to run under OS/2.
>
>Maybe somebody could clear this up for me. I remember reading that
>Borland licenced most of their C compiler technology from Watcom.

The joint Borland/IBM press release announced that IBM and Borland
have entered into an agreement whereby Borland will be developing
specific object-oriented languages and programming tools for OS/2 2.0,
that the first one will be Borland C++ and that it should be available
early next year.

I have to be careful to only say what was in the copy of the press
release that I have, since that is all that I can be sure has been
publicly announced, but Philippe Kahn is quoted as saying that
"Borland C++ for OS/2 will allow developers to take full advantage of
computers with 32 bit architectures."

Borland's compiler technology is all in-house. The only connection
with Watcom that I am aware of is an arrangement that allows Watcom to
use Borland's debugging information format so that Borland's debugger
can work with their compiler.

 -- Sidney Markowitz <sidney@borland.com>
    Borland International (Languages - R&D)
    [Disclaimer: I am a hacker, not an official spokesperson]