[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 2.0 is here!

yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) (05/08/91)

I am very surprised that IBM is trying to sell OS/2 based on speed.  WHO
really cares if Excel for OS/2 outbeat Windows by 30 SECONDS????????????

Give me a break.  OS/2 with the 32 bit mode probably runs some applications
faster, given that the applications are re-compiled to 32 bit mode.  It's
the applications that sell the software.  Say, give a 32 bit Excel vs.
Windows 16 bit Excel and we probably know who will win the speed test.

They (or somebody) better stress the REAL pluses of OS/2 which is memory
management and TASK switching.  Machines have grown to the point of trying
to run several applications at once.  This is just baby stuff to try to
outbeat Excel by 30 seconds.  I just can't believe.

To make OS/2 sell:  must be cheaper, upgradable, and stable.  Alot of people
had problems with OS/2 1.x and not enough printer drivers that gave it a
bad reputation.  At least they (IBM) will allow multiple DOS boxes under
OS/2.  I think 1.x you could run only 1 dos application at once, that IS
*NOT* good for multi-tasking.  I am willing to give OS/2 2.0 a chance for
the right budget, and maybe try out a demo first.  Microsoft did something
wonderful with Windows, and maybe IBM is following that path.

What do I use windows for?  Multi-tasking communications, applications,
and doing program development.   I would like better application protection.

--
-- Robert aka Crimson Avenger      (yee@rpi.edu or crimson_avenger@mts.rpi.edu)
   Once a hacker, always a hacker. (usere3jp@rpitsmts.bitnet)

jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) (05/08/91)

In article <j.8ggna@rpi.edu>, yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) writes:
> I am very surprised that IBM is trying to sell OS/2 based on speed.  WHO
> really cares if Excel for OS/2 outbeat Windows by 30 SECONDS????????????
> wonderful with Windows, and maybe IBM is following that path.
>
> What do I use windows for?  Multi-tasking communications, applications,
> and doing program development.   I would like better application protection.
>

> --
> -- Robert aka Crimson Avenger      (yee@rpi.edu or crimson_avenger@mts.rpi.edu)
>    Once a hacker, always a hacker. (usere3jp@rpitsmts.bitnet)

From your use for windows, it sounds like you are describing an older
operating system - UNIX. Its been multi-tasking,multiuser for 20 years.

It also has been available for every cpu from the 808x -> ??

Why reinvent the wheel?

------------------------
James F. Van Valkenburg         a.k.a.  "van"
AT&T 				Attmail: !jfv               jfv@cbnewsk.att.com
Atlanta, GA.			Voice  404-873-7920

   ---- Standard Disclaimers included -- Just another grunt at AT&T ----

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (05/08/91)

From article <1991May8.123348.18697@cbnewsk.att.com>, by jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg):

> From your use for windows, it sounds like you are describing an older
> operating system - UNIX. Its been multi-tasking,multiuser for 20 years.
>
> It also has been available for every cpu from the 808x -> ??
>
> Why reinvent the wheel?

'cause as materials change, so, possibly, does the optimized shape of
the wheel.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (05/09/91)

In article <j.8ggna@rpi.edu> yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) writes:
>To make OS/2 sell:  must be cheaper, upgradable, and stable.  Alot of people
>had problems with OS/2 1.x and not enough printer drivers that gave it a
I had FAR less problems with OS/2 1.3 than I had with Windows 3.0 (I
have purchased both environments and use both of them, OS/2 more often).
Just yesterday I spent 4+ hours on finding a bug with Windows why it
said "Program group main corrupted or invalid - recreate it" and it
turned out to be a wrong setting on bus waitstate in the '386 c&t setup
of my board - the same setup worked before for over a year. It was
really near that I removed Windows from my disk ...
I just can't understand why a system couldn't say that it has problems
accessing the disk with a clear error message rather than fooling a user
that it's files are corrupted. A few weeks ago, the system said that it
could not find a file when I tried to start a DOS session in Windows's
386 enhanced mode - the solution: disable the Super VGA's BIOS shadow
RAM. Can anyone tell me why to call such a system "satisfactory" -
compared to this, OS/2 1.3 is wonderland - it simply ran always.

>bad reputation.  At least they (IBM) will allow multiple DOS boxes under
>OS/2.  I think 1.x you could run only 1 dos application at once, that IS
>*NOT* good for multi-tasking.  I am willing to give OS/2 2.0 a chance for
Most of the time I am using OS/2 1.3 I do not even need *ONE* DOS
application. And when I use the DOS box, it runs most often only the
Norton Commander. I just use OS/2 applications. All I need is there.

>the right budget, and maybe try out a demo first.  Microsoft did something
>wonderful with Windows, and maybe IBM is following that path.
Windows and wonderful, are you serious? (see above :-)

>What do I use windows for?  Multi-tasking communications, applications,
>and doing program development.   I would like better application protection.
Oh yes. ALl Windows apps using only one local descriptor table is not
what I call "protected mode". Also, I have timed the "multitasking" of
Windows and compared this to OS/2's results when running an program
editor and a compiler in the background. Windows performed very poorly
and was rather instable.

(BTW, I am not against Windows. I have bought Windows and the SDK and I
am doing much Windows development in a network environment. It's just my
experiences what makes me very angry about Windows. As soon as OS/2 2.0
comes out, it runs on my machine and can do what it is said to be able
to do, I will throw away the whole Windows stuff forever.)

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams (MS)

yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.193731.15929@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
>have purchased both environments and use both of them, OS/2 more often).
>Just yesterday I spent 4+ hours on finding a bug with Windows why it
>said "Program group main corrupted or invalid - recreate it" and it
>turned out to be a wrong setting on bus waitstate in the '386 c&t setup
>of my board - the same setup worked before for over a year. It was
>really near that I removed Windows from my disk ...
>I just can't understand why a system couldn't say that it has problems
>accessing the disk with a clear error message rather than fooling a user
>that it's files are corrupted. A few weeks ago, the system said that it
>could not find a file when I tried to start a DOS session in Windows's
>386 enhanced mode - the solution: disable the Super VGA's BIOS shadow
>RAM. Can anyone tell me why to call such a system "satisfactory" -
>compared to this, OS/2 1.3 is wonderland - it simply ran always.

Agreed that Windows 3.0 has serious problems as a Operating System.  However
Windows isn't really a OS, it's a application that is interfacing the OS
with other programs.  I hate Windows crashes as much as you do, and the
Cryptic error messages, maybe in future releases they will fix that.  Another
fundamental question about OS/2 upgrades is really going to be whether
it will cost alot to upgrade the current system to a decent system.  I'm
talking about x386, 4-6 meg of RAM, 100 meg hard disk, etc..  If someone ONLY
has a x286 system he is left out in the cold unless he ugrades the CPU and
other hardware.  Cost is a big factor.

>Most of the time I am using OS/2 1.3 I do not even need *ONE* DOS
>application. And when I use the DOS box, it runs most often only the
>Norton Commander. I just use OS/2 applications. All I need is there.

Well, you maybe able to afford all of the OS/2 applications, BUT some of us
aren't as rich or resourceful as you.  Take shareware products, some
shareware are some of the best work of arts, rivaling commerical developers.
If you can't run your shareware in the OS/2, where can you run them in?
Probably mostly likely in the DOS compability box.  Do I expect most shareware
developers to migrate to OS/2?  Of course NOT!.  What kind of shareware?
Games, utilities, application packages.  Another thing is that it takes time
for developers to get products out..  In the meantime, you can only issue a
compatible release (like Lotus 1-2-3 for Widnows), which doesn't take advantage of OS/2.>

>Windows and wonderful, are you serious? (see above :-)

Yes, Microsoft did a GREAT job promoting Windows, something like a $10
million dollars advertising budget and low cost upgrades ($49 with existing
Windows) AND packaging Windows with almost every computer hardware you buy.
At least Windows RAN in the Enhanced mode to take advantage of multiple DOS
boxes.

>Oh yes. ALl Windows apps using only one local descriptor table is not
>what I call "protected mode". Also, I have timed the "multitasking" of
>Windows and compared this to OS/2's results when running an program
>editor and a compiler in the background. Windows performed very poorly
>and was rather instable.
I thought the point of my comment was we shouldn't try to judge OS/2 on
the ability to beat Windows running the same application.  Most end users
probably don't care about speed test, I think it's more of a programmer's
thing about speed.  I am a programmer, and speed really is deceptive.

>(BTW, I am not against Windows. I have bought Windows and the SDK and I
>am doing much Windows development in a network environment. It's just my
>experiences what makes me very angry about Windows. As soon as OS/2 2.0
>comes out, it runs on my machine and can do what it is said to be able
>to do, I will throw away the whole Windows stuff forever.)

Well, it seems that Microsoft said, if you program to the Windows Interface,
you should be just port it over to OS/2 Presentation Manager.  It might be
better to write the application code tigher in OS/2 and not have to worry
about the PM interface.  I see a future in which IBM hopes that every
OS/2 program is going to write and read from the PM...... So everybody's
program better behave themselves.

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (05/09/91)

From article <q18gr0f@rpi.edu>, by yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger):

> Agreed that Windows 3.0 has serious problems as a Operating System.  However
> Windows isn't really a OS, it's a application that is interfacing the OS
> with other programs.

This is precisely why OS/2 is better.

> fundamental question about OS/2 upgrades is really going to be whether
> it will cost alot to upgrade the current system to a decent system.  I'm
> talking about x386, 4-6 meg of RAM, 100 meg hard disk, etc..  If someone ONLY
> has a x286 system he is left out in the cold unless he ugrades the CPU and
> other hardware.  Cost is a big factor.

Realistically, OS/2 and MS-Windows requirements are the same.  Sure, you can
run MS-Windows on a 286, but you won't realistically run more than one
DOS application anyway.

> Well, you maybe able to afford all of the OS/2 applications, BUT some of us
> aren't as rich or resourceful as you.  Take shareware products, some
> shareware are some of the best work of arts, rivaling commerical developers.
> If you can't run your shareware in the OS/2, where can you run them in?

This is a mute point.  I have OS/2 equivalents to most of the shareware
available for MS-DOS.  This includes terminal programs, bulletin board
systems, games, disk utilities, ports of Unix utilities, PC-Anywhere clones,
editors, programmers development tools, archivers, gif viewers, ...

I defy you to name a category of application that cannot be downloaded as
shareware from my BBS at (306) 966-4857 HST-DS modem.

> Yes, Microsoft did a GREAT job promoting Windows, something like a $10
> million dollars advertising budget and low cost upgrades ($49 with existing
> Windows) AND packaging Windows with almost every computer hardware you buy.
> At least Windows RAN in the Enhanced mode to take advantage of multiple DOS
> boxes.

Based on experienced they learned from their OS/2 development most likely.

As for the low cost upgrades ... I purchased OS/2 1.0 for about $250, and I
haven't paid a cent since.  I'm currently running OS/2 1.3, and the upgrade
to 2.0 is free as well.  The new price structure makes OS/2 cheaper to buy
than MS-DOS and Windows.

> I thought the point of my comment was we shouldn't try to judge OS/2 on
> the ability to beat Windows running the same application.  Most end users
> probably don't care about speed test, I think it's more of a programmer's
> thing about speed.  I am a programmer, and speed really is deceptive.

But the question is WHY is there a speed increase?  The answer is a more
efficient multi-tasking kernal on an operating system built from the ground
up to support multitasking, instead of a system bolted onto the side of a
single tasking system.

> Well, it seems that Microsoft said, if you program to the Windows Interface,
> you should be just port it over to OS/2 Presentation Manager.  It might be
> better to write the application code tigher in OS/2 and not have to worry
> about the PM interface.  I see a future in which IBM hopes that every
> OS/2 program is going to write and read from the PM...... So everybody's
> program better behave themselves.

Yes, but you won't get the best out of the software.  It's still limited to
the DOSisms of MS-Windows.  A true OS/2 port would run better because it
wouldn't have an extra "compatibility" layer to navigate through.

- Kevin Lowey

tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) (05/09/91)

In article <q18gr0f@rpi.edu>, yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) writes:

> Well, you maybe able to afford all of the OS/2 applications, BUT some of us
> aren't as rich or resourceful as you.  Take shareware products, some
> shareware are some of the best work of arts, rivaling commerical developers.
> If you can't run your shareware in the OS/2, where can you run them in?
> Probably mostly likely in the DOS compability box.  Do I expect most shareware
> developers to migrate to OS/2?  Of course NOT!.  What kind of shareware?
> Games, utilities, application packages.

You might want to scan the contents of the various OS/2 archives that exist.
There is probably more shareware for OS/2 than you think.  Editors, paint
programs, communications programs, games, UNIX utilities that have been
ported to OS/2...  And if you count the DOS shareware that runs in the
compatibility box...

cmdbyk@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu (Karl Boyken) (05/09/91)

I think we can see the fate of OS/2 if we look at its hardware analog,
the MCA machine.  When IBM introduced the PS/2, it touted its bus as
superior to the ISA bus, and it was.  And the PS/2 line has been moderately
successful--at least, it's still here, unlike the PC Jr and the PC
Convertible.  But what share of the PC market did the PS/2 line obtain when
competing against the ISA bus?  And with the EISA bus becoming more available,
what share will the PS/2 have in the future?  IBM has argued that the MCA is
technically superior to the EISA bus.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  But
technical superiority, real or imagined, is not giving IBM an overwhelming
edge in the market.

I think we can read the fate of OS/2 and Windows in the fate of the MCA
and ISA/EISA buses.  OS/2 probably won't dry up and blow away.  But I
doubt it will supplant DOS/Windows; in fact, I'd guess DOS/Windows will be
more popular, for similar reasons:  price (do you really think Microsoft
won't compete in price against IBM?), relative ease of upgrading (you don't
have to install an OS and reinstall all your apps to install Windows), the
availability and price of add-ins (OS/2 apps are the software equivalent of
MCA cards:  scarce and overpriced), and the perceived return on investment
by developers (if you wanted to make bigger bucks faster, which would you
develop, a Windows app or an OS/2 app?).

    ** _My_ views, no one else's--except those I plagiarize. **
Karl Boyken, Project Analyst          | "It's so easy to slip, it's
State Health Registry of Iowa         |  so easy to fall and let your
Iowa City, IA                         |  memory drift into nothing
Internet: cmdbyk@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu |  at all." -- Lowell George

tok@slammer.UUCP (Terry Kane) (05/09/91)

> Well, you maybe able to afford all of the OS/2 applications, BUT some of us
> aren't as rich or resourceful as you.  Take shareware products, some
> shareware are some of the best work of arts, rivaling commerical developers.
> If you can't run your shareware in the OS/2, where can you run them in?
> Probably mostly likely in the DOS compability box.  Do I expect most shareware
> developers to migrate to OS/2?  Of course NOT!.  What kind of shareware?
> Games, utilities, application packages.

Well, you might think that the affordability of shareware is a good reason
to stick to dos, BUT some of us aren't ignorant of the growing wealth of
shareware products for OS/2.  Granted, there aren't fifty bulletin boards
in every major city carrying the good stuff, and there probably aren't
fifty bbses nationwide that do; but there are several excellent bboards
(e.g. OS/2 Shareware? fuzzy on the name but: +1-703-385-4325,0931) that
carry much free|share-ware that meets or exceeds dos equivalents.

Meeting or exceeding dos functionality and performance is the easy part.
Why? OS/2 is a superior base for applications - that's why!  I use perl,
TeX and related apps, byacc, flex, many unix workalikes on my home OS/2
machine - all FREEware!  There are really great shareware products out
there, and I think that local OS/2 bbses will start popping up as the word
gets out that OS/2 is a *good* thing.

IMHO you won't be needing many classes of dos shareware if you make the change
because base OS/2 makes many of those tools redundant.

Terry

larrys@watson.ibm.com (Larry Salomon, Jr.) (05/09/91)

In <j.8ggna@rpi.edu>, yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) writes:

>I am very surprised that IBM is trying to sell OS/2 based on speed.  WHO
>really cares if Excel for OS/2 outbeat Windows by 30 SECONDS????????????

This is the typical hacker attitude.  Remember, that there are more of
the "other people" that use OS/2 than hackers, and these "other people"
want good performance from their machine.  30 seconds to a business
executive is a lifetime to him/her and if it came down to choosing
between one system that saved him/her 30 seconds EVERY TIME THEY USED
THEIR APPLICATIONS and another system, they will GUARANTEED choose the
former.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) (05/10/91)

In article <940@slammer.UUCP> tok@slammer.UUCP (Terry Kane) writes:
>I use perl, TeX and related apps, byacc, flex, many unix workalikes
>on my home OS/2 machine - all FREEware!

These are all available for MSDOS as well from simtel... What someone
needs to do is write a killer app for OS/2 that can't be easily done
on MSDOS or MSDOS/Windows. Hmmm... How about GNU EMACS for OS/2?

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

fdq@athena.mit.edu (Fred D Quintana) (05/10/91)

In article <q18gr0f@rpi.edu> yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) writes:

> Well, you maybe able to afford all of the OS/2 applications, BUT some of us
> aren't as rich or resourceful as you.  Take shareware products, some
> shareware are some of the best work of arts, rivaling commerical developers.
> If you can't run your shareware in the OS/2, where can you run them in?
> Probably mostly likely in the DOS compability box.  Do I expect most shareware
> developers to migrate to OS/2?  Of course NOT!.  What kind of shareware?
> Games, utilities, application packages.  Another thing is that it takes time
> for developers to get products out..  In the meantime, you can only issue a
> compatible release (like Lotus 1-2-3 for Widnows), which doesn't take advantage of OS/2.>

Well, first of all, with the BCL (binary compatible layer) OS/2 should be able
to run most well-behaved Win 3 applications.  True, these won't take advantage
of the true OS/2 stuff but it is an option.

Second, try taking a look at the large quantity of win3 software available at
cica.cica.indiana.edu.  There are ~150 programs listed in the utilities
directory (not including all the other directories).  Win 3 has only been out
for ~13 months.  Considering the advantages OS/2 has over win 3 (such as the
fact that OS/2 actually runs for extended periods of time without crashing) I
have no doubt that os/2 will have its share of shareware applications.

Fred

| Fred D. Quintana @ (617)225-7116) \                          		      |
| Internet: <fdq@athena.mit.edu>     \     Never put off till tomorrow what   |
| UUCP:   mit-eddie!mit-athena!fdq    \       you can avoid all together.     |
| USnail:  362 Memorial Drive          \				      |
|          Cambridge, MA 02139          \                                     |

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (05/10/91)

In article <q18gr0f@rpi.edu> yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) writes:
>Cryptic error messages, maybe in future releases they will fix that.  Another
>fundamental question about OS/2 upgrades is really going to be whether
>it will cost alot to upgrade the current system to a decent system.  I'm
>talking about x386, 4-6 meg of RAM, 100 meg hard disk, etc..  If someone ONLY
>has a x286 system he is left out in the cold unless he ugrades the CPU and
>other hardware.  Cost is a big factor.
It was noted more than once here that the system requirements of Windows
3.0 and OS/2 1.3 and OS/2 2.0 are almost the same for the same
throughput. This is also my experience. When you don't need the
throughput of a machine that you mention, you probably are satisfied
with Windows 3.0 on a 286. But note that using 386enhanced features like
DOS programs in Windows and multi"tasked" requires a 386.
Also, I found that development for Windows and OS/2 or even serious work
with this environments is much nicer (if you have Adobe Type Manager
like in OS/2 1.3, for example) with a machine even bigger than the
configuration you mentioned. And such a machine is not that expensive if
you don't by from Big Blue.

>Well, you maybe able to afford all of the OS/2 applications, BUT some of us
>aren't as rich or resourceful as you.  Take shareware products, some
>shareware are some of the best work of arts, rivaling commerical developers.
>If you can't run your shareware in the OS/2, where can you run them in?
>Probably mostly likely in the DOS compability box.  Do I expect most shareware
>developers to migrate to OS/2?  Of course NOT!.  What kind of shareware?
>Games, utilities, application packages.  Another thing is that it takes time
>for developers to get products out..  In the meantime, you can only issue a
>compatible release (like Lotus 1-2-3 for Widnows), which doesn't take advantage of OS/2.>
I am not as rich as you may think - I'm still a student. But there are
educational discounts (I got Word 5.0 with this) and sometimes one can
get software from private persons who don't need it any more (I got
Excel that way very cheap compared to the list price in Germany) and so
on. Also, I use lot's of shareware/freeware, a lot of GNU code which I
compiled for OS/2 etc. And I think that many shareware authors will
switch to OS/2. For the reputation that OS/2 currently has, there is
surprisingly much shareware available.

>Yes, Microsoft did a GREAT job promoting Windows, something like a $10
>million dollars advertising budget and low cost upgrades ($49 with existing
>Windows) AND packaging Windows with almost every computer hardware you buy.
I wish their developers would be as good as their people who did the
advertising :-)

>>Oh yes. ALl Windows apps using only one local descriptor table is not
>>what I call "protected mode". Also, I have timed the "multitasking" of
>>Windows and compared this to OS/2's results when running an program
>>editor and a compiler in the background. Windows performed very poorly
>>and was rather instable.
>I thought the point of my comment was we shouldn't try to judge OS/2 on
>the ability to beat Windows running the same application.  Most end users
>probably don't care about speed test, I think it's more of a programmer's
>thing about speed.  I am a programmer, and speed really is deceptive.
You are right, but *stability* is a much more important point. A system
on top of DOS cannot be stable. And the bad performance is a symptom for
the number of kludges they had to program to reduce the instability (it
still cannot be called stable).

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (05/10/91)

Crimson Avenger <yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu> writes:
> Agreed that Windows 3.0 has serious problems as a Operating System.  However
> Windows isn't really a OS, it's a application that is interfacing the OS
> with other programs.  I hate Windows crashes as much as you do, and the
> Cryptic error messages, maybe in future releases they will fix that.

Can anyone tell me whether OS/2 2.0 still has those horrible OS/360-style
error messages in character mode?  Do we have to wait for OS/2 NT to get
non-obnoxious error messages?

I guess a nice character-mode shell wasn't in IBM's plans, at least...  :(

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

sc151111@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.160718.9381@watson.ibm.com> larrys@yktvmv writes:
>In <j.8ggna@rpi.edu>, yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) writes:
>>
>>I am very surprised that IBM is trying to sell OS/2 based on speed.  WHO
>>really cares if Excel for OS/2 outbeat Windows by 30 SECONDS????????????
>
>This is the typical hacker attitude.  Remember, that there are more of
>the "other people" that use OS/2 than hackers, and these "other people"
>want good performance from their machine.  30 seconds to a business

*** FLAME ON ***

Excuse me?!?!?!?  Typical hacker attitude?  I beg to differ!  As a
hacker myself, I can assure you that we are probably more concerned with
performance than everyone else!  After all, who else is better qualified
to write optimized OS/2 programs?  (How many people have books on OS/2
assembly language, huh?)

*** FLAME OFF ***

Anyway, someone else mentioned that the number of seconds saved is not
as important as the percent difference.  I agree.  If 30 seconds is
the savings from something that took a minute, then that means that
OS/2 is twice as fast an Windows (in this one instance).

I wonder if Windows apps running under OS/2's BCL will be any faster than
under Windows itself.  IBM claims that OS/2 2.0 will be a "better Windows
than Windows".

I also wonder if IBM will make OS/2 extensions to the Windows SDK.  "Huh?"
you ask?  How about special Windows functions that work under OS/2 only.
Or is this the same thing as the SMK (Software Migration Kit)?  Imagine
you have a Windows program, and you want to port it over to OS/2.  You
don't have the time or resources to rewrite it, but all you want is to
include a few bells and whistles that make it run a lot smoother.
Introducing: Windows 3/2 SDK.  Includes a few SDK function calls that
parallel the advanced stuff in OS/2, but are still Windows call.  The
only catch is they will only work under the BCL.

----------------------------------------------------------- The Time Traveler
Sadder still to watch it die                                a.k.a. Timur Tabi
Then never to have known it                   Internet: sc151111@seas.gwu.edu
For you - the blind who once could see -        Bitnet:          HE891C@GWUVM
The bell tolls for thee                  -- Rush

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (05/11/91)

From article <1991May10.114309.28926@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, by tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen):

> Can anyone tell me whether OS/2 2.0 still has those horrible OS/360-style
> error messages in character mode?  Do we have to wait for OS/2 NT to get
> non-obnoxious error messages?

Yes and no.  The messages are still there by default, but you can add the line:

AUTOFAIL YES

which is supposed to disable the messages, and return the error code to the
program for it to handle.

- Kevin Lowey (LOWEY@Sask.USask.CA)

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (05/11/91)

From article <1991May10.205710.18162@herald.usask.ca>, by lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey):

> Yes and no.  The messages are still there by default, but you can add
> the line:
>
> AUTOFAIL YES

Oops, forgot to say that is added to the CONFIG.SYS file, and works with
OS/2 1.3 and higher.

- Kevin Lowey (LOWEY@SASK.USask.CA)

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May10.114309.28926@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>Can anyone tell me whether OS/2 2.0 still has those horrible OS/360-style
>error messages in character mode?  Do we have to wait for OS/2 NT to get
>non-obnoxious error messages?

The error messages in 2.0 are pretty descriptive; sometimes they're a bit
*too* verbose for my taste, but for the end-user they should be pretty
comprehensible.

>I guess a nice character-mode shell wasn't in IBM's plans, at least...  :(

AH!  Another thing I forgot to mention: the OS/2 2.0 command shell is
*much* nicer than in 1.2.  They finally put a decent command line editor
and history buffer into it; and even some talk of... well, I probably
shouldn't say too much more; I wouldn't want to get in trouble for
divulging IBM's Sooper-Dooper Secret Plans To Make OS/2 The Best OS Since
Sliced Time.  ;-)

--
NOTICE: Due to the complexity of nearly all topics, the opinions expressed
above are in continual process of formation and may be changed without notice.

Wayne Hayes     INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca        CompuServe: 72401,3525

jwohl@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) (05/13/91)

In article <j.8ggna@rpi.edu> yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) writes:
>I am very surprised that IBM is trying to sell OS/2 based on speed.  WHO
>really cares if Excel for OS/2 outbeat Windows by 30 SECONDS????????????
>
>Give me a break.  OS/2 with the 32 bit mode probably runs some applications
>faster, given that the applications are re-compiled to 32 bit mode.  It's
>the applications that sell the software.  Say, give a 32 bit Excel vs.
>Windows 16 bit Excel and we probably know who will win the speed test.

If the OS is coded with a 32-bit instruction set, speed of task switching,
memory management, file system, etc. will increase, regardless of the
code requesting these services.  In OS/2 2.0, this will apply to DOS,
Windows, and 16- and 32-bit apps.  This is the point IBM was trying to
make.  You will gain a significant increase in speed simply because
the OS finally takes advantage of, until then, latent hardware.  With
32-bit apps, the increase is very significant.
--
Jeremy Wohl / wohl@max.physics.sunysb.edu / jwohl@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.114309.28926@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>Can anyone tell me whether OS/2 2.0 still has those horrible OS/360-style
>error messages in character mode?  Do we have to wait for OS/2 NT to get
>non-obnoxious error messages?

Oh, I would like to get exactly those error messages in Windows too.
When customers get "Unrecoverable application errors" they almost never
remember what they have done last. If they could write down the register
dump one gets with OS/2 on segmentation faults, I would have a chance to
track the bug down to the module/procedure where it occured.

Do you really want such useless error message like in Windows under OS/2?

resnicks@netcom.COM (Steve Resnick) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May10.211140.18905@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:
>From article <1991May10.205710.18162@herald.usask.ca>, by lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey):
>
>> Yes and no.  The messages are still there by default, but you can add
>> the line:
>>
>> AUTOFAIL YES
>
>Oops, forgot to say that is added to the CONFIG.SYS file, and works with
>OS/2 1.3 and higher.

OS/2 1.2 supports this too ...

Steve

        resnicks@netcom.com, steve@camphq, IFNA:        1:143/105.0,
                 co moderator for comp.binaries.os2
 Real life: Steve Resnick. Chief Software Architect, Process Scientific, Inc
 Flames, grammar and spelling errors >/dev/null
 The Asylum OS/2 BBS - (408)263-8017 12/2400,8,1 - Running Maximus CBCS 1.2

wilf@niksula.hut.fi (Johan W. Wikman) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May13.084919.12527@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
   In article <1991May10.114309.28926@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
   >Can anyone tell me whether OS/2 2.0 still has those horrible OS/360-style
   >error messages in character mode?  Do we have to wait for OS/2 NT to get
   >non-obnoxious error messages?

   Oh, I would like to get exactly those error messages in Windows too.
   When customers get "Unrecoverable application errors" they almost never
   remember what they have done last. If they could write down the register
   dump one gets with OS/2 on segmentation faults, I would have a chance to
   track the bug down to the module/procedure where it occured.

   Do you really want such useless error message like in Windows under OS/2?

   Kai Uwe Rommel

   /* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

   DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
   handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams

I would like a core dump and adb.

Johan Wikman
wilf@niksula.hut.fi