[comp.os.os2.misc] Your .sig

alistair@microsoft.UUCP (Alistair BANKS) (05/25/91)

>Kai Uwe Rommel
>
>/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */
>
>DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
>handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams

This is meant in good humour, but it's true.

I'd been checking up on Russel Williams - we've not been able to find
one who is an employee of Microsoft, nor have I been able to find
one who was.

The fact is, that to better support 32-bit Windows, a DOS device driver
model is being introduced which is both re-entrant and 32-bit protect
mode. (For those who'd ask me, a 32-bit Windows development kit is
to be released later this year, product, next year). 32-bit Windows
apps will be able to follow a 32-bit code path from execution
to hardware with no mode switching.

So, yes, dos was a real-mode, non-rentrant interrupt handler and
file system, but no one in our industry would make 'always' predictions
about the future - its all software, anything could happen. Russel Williams,
whoever he is, will be wrong.

Alistair Banks.
Systems Division, Microsoft.

dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) (05/26/91)

In article <72547@microsoft.UUCP> microsoft!alistair@uunet.uu.net (Alistair BANKS) writes:

>>Kai Uwe Rommel
>>
>>/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */
>>
>>DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
>>handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams
>
>This is meant in good humour, but it's true.
>
>I'd been checking up on Russel Williams - we've not been able to find
>one who is an employee of Microsoft, nor have I been able to find
>one who was.

Why do you care if he works for Msoft?

>The fact is, that to better support 32-bit Windows, a DOS device driver
>model is being introduced which is both re-entrant and 32-bit protect
>mode. (For those who'd ask me, a 32-bit Windows development kit is
>to be released later this year, product, next year). 32-bit Windows
>apps will be able to follow a 32-bit code path from execution
>to hardware with no mode switching.
>Alistair Banks.
>Systems Division, Microsoft.

Simply amazing!  The guys at Microsoft have managed in only 11 years of
DOS development to implement OS tech. that is only 20+ years old.  These
guys are practically saints!  We'll actually see software that can utilitize
hardware that's only been out since 1986 from them.

Will wonders never cease!

All that work for "power users" running Windows, what a joke!

;-) David Boles

David Boles                                       Applied Research Laboratories
dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
apas611@chpc.utexas.edu                      This space for rent, apply within.