[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 Drivers Wanted

sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) (05/25/91)

I would love to make the switch to OS/2, but I'd like some information on
whether my equipment is supported or not.  My equipment consists of the
following:

(1) IBM PC/AT Clone; C&T chipset; Phoenix BIOS 3.06
(2) Logitech C7 serial mouse
(3) twin 16450 UART serial ports; twin parallel ports
(4) Hercules monochrome graphics adapter
(5) 640K plus 2176K extended RAM
(6) HP LaserJet IIP
(7) IBM 101 Key Enhanced Keyboard
(8) Seagate ST-02 SCSI controller with 40MB ST-251N
(9) 1.2 MB 5.25 inch floppy drive
(10) external modem

Very plain vanilla equipment (I think).  Any potential compatibility problems?
If so, are there drivers available?  What changes would make this system
OS/2 ready for the least possible cost?

Also, are there OS/2 version upgrades for the following software: Word for
Windows, Pagemaker 3.01, Ashton-Tate Framework III?  Good telecommunications
packages?  Cost?

T.F.S.					sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu
Timothy F. Sipples			sip1@quads.uchicago.edu

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May25.031144.24699@midway.uchicago.edu> sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) writes:
>I would love to make the switch to OS/2, but I'd like some information on
>whether my equipment is supported or not.  My equipment consists of the

Well, you don't mention how much ram you have, and I would reccommend at least 4
megabytes of memory, though techicaly only 2 is required.   Also, OS/2 does not
run on a Hercules Mono Card as it's only graphics adapter.  You would ned to
at least go out and buy some other graphics card.  I usually reccommend an
inexpensive VGA card and a GreyScale VGA monitor to the cost consious.  This
combination can be had for well under $300.

>Also, are there OS/2 version upgrades for the following software: Word for
>Windows, Pagemaker 3.01, Ashton-Tate Framework III?  Good telecommunications
>packages?  Cost?

Pagemaker, and Word For PM are available..  I don't know if upgrades are
available, or what the costs would be.

Wim
--

bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Barry King) (05/26/91)

sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) writes:

> I would love to make the switch to OS/2, but I'd like some information on
> whether my equipment is supported or not.  My equipment consists of the
> following:
>
> (1) IBM PC/AT Clone; C&T chipset; Phoenix BIOS 3.06
> (2) Logitech C7 serial mouse
> (3) twin 16450 UART serial ports; twin parallel ports
> (4) Hercules monochrome graphics adapter
> (5) 640K plus 2176K extended RAM
> (6) HP LaserJet IIP
> (7) IBM 101 Key Enhanced Keyboard
> (8) Seagate ST-02 SCSI controller with 40MB ST-251N
> (9) 1.2 MB 5.25 inch floppy drive
> (10) external modem
>
> Very plain vanilla equipment (I think).  Any potential compatibility problems
> If so, are there drivers available?  What changes would make this system
> OS/2 ready for the least possible cost?
>
> Also, are there OS/2 version upgrades for the following software: Word for
> Windows, Pagemaker 3.01, Ashton-Tate Framework III?  Good telecommunications
> packages?  Cost?

The only problem that i can see with your hardware and OS/2 1.x is the
Seagate SCSI HBA - OS/2 does not currently support non-IBM SCSI drives.
You must rely on the HBA vendor/manufacturer for SCSI support.

I have a DPT SmartConnex which is a SCSI HBA with a dual personality.  It
emulates the WD-1003x controller and therefore makes OS/2 think it's
talking to a vanilla drive.  OS/2 may seem somewhat sluggish on your 286
and 4 Mb total would boost performance over the 3 or so you have.  I have
successfully installed OS/2 1.3 EE on a 2 Mb Compaq 386/20 laptop.  It
runs but swaps constantly.  Performance is about the same as Windows 3
Enhanced mode on the same machine, as long as you don't run DOS apps, of
course.

/exit

Barry King              bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982