[comp.os.os2.misc] 800x600 driver for ATI card

ignacij@orion (Ignacy Misztal) (05/28/91)

I am looking for a 800x600 or even 1024x768 dispay driver for ATI VGA card
that was in my Gateway-2000 computer. The 800x600 driver for 1.2 was
included but it does not display the top bars in 1.3.

Ignacy Misztal             Internet:ignacij@orion.animal.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois     Bitnet: ignacy@uiucvmd
1207 W Gregory Dr.         Phone: (217) 244-3164
Urbana IL 61801

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (05/29/91)

In article <ignacij.675448019@orion>, ignacij@orion (Ignacy Misztal) writes:

> I am looking for a 800x600 or even 1024x768 dispay driver for ATI VGA card
> that was in my Gateway-2000 computer. The 800x600 driver for 1.2 was
> included but it does not display the top bars in 1.3.

I believe you got the drivers for PM 1.1 -- they work, more or less, for 1.2.
ATI promised OS/2 1.2 drivers last fall, but then didn't deliver.  In Jan.
they said the project was "up in the air", and that they might wait
until OS/2 2.0 to do anything.  Now, they say they are working on a 1.3
driver, but refuse to give a date [this latest piece of info. based
on a response from ATI's tech. support line late last week].  I wouldn't
hold my breath.

Douglas Baer,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX

andrew@ramona.Cary.NC.US (Andrew Ernest) (05/30/91)

Hmmm, this discussion leads me to wonder about the 8514/Ultra card from
ATI.  Their ad on page 106 of the May issue of _PC Magazine_ says the
8514/Ultra is register-compatible with IBM's 8514/A card and "software
compatible" (what does that mean?) with XGA cards.  If the bit about the
8514/A compatibility is true, does this mean I can pop one of these in
an OS/2 system and count on IBM's 8514/A device driver working just fine
with it?  Anyone had any experience with it (under OS/2 or any other OS,
for that matter)?

Thanks,
--
Andrew Ernest <andrew@ramona.Cary.NC.US>

joeb@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Joe Barnhart) (06/04/91)

In comp.os.os2.misc, andrew@ramona.Cary.NC.US (Andrew Ernest) writes:

  | Hmmm, this discussion leads me to wonder about the 8514/Ultra card from
  | ATI.  Their ad on page 106 of the May issue of _PC Magazine_ says the
  | 8514/Ultra is register-compatible with IBM's 8514/A card and "software
  | compatible" (what does that mean?) with XGA cards.  If the bit about the
  | 8514/A compatibility is true, does this mean I can pop one of these in
  | an OS/2 system and count on IBM's 8514/A device driver working just fine
  | with it?  Anyone had any experience with it (under OS/2 or any other OS,
  | for that matter)?

Yes.  I just bought the 8514/Ultra and an NEC 4D monitor.  The standard
OS/2 1.3 driver works fine.  (I've even tried the OS/2 v2 beta, and it
works as well.)  ATI supplies a special "fast" Windows 3.0 driver, and
another Windows driver which supports their anti-aliased fonts.  Their
fast driver is, indeed, faster than the standard Windows 8514 driver.
(In fact, it's faster than the OS/2 driver, as well.)

-- Joe B.

#include <standard.disclaimer>

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May30.001531.104315@ramona.Cary.NC.US> andrew@ramona.Cary.NC.US (Andrew Ernest) writes:
>compatible" (what does that mean?) with XGA cards.  If the bit about the
>8514/A compatibility is true, does this mean I can pop one of these in
>an OS/2 system and count on IBM's 8514/A device driver working just fine
>with it?  Anyone had any experience with it (under OS/2 or any other OS,
>for that matter)?

I have a Paradise 8514/A+ (*not* an ATI card) and it just works fine
with the IBM 8514/A driver for OS/2 and the ATI card should do this too.
A friend has such an ATI 8514 but did not yet test it with OS/2, only
with Windows so far but it works well there.

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams