[comp.os.os2.misc] Virtual 8086 under OS/2 2.0: What's the skinny?

resnicks@netcom.COM (Steve Resnick) (06/06/91)

Here's a question which has been on my mind a little ...

In OS/2 2.0 there is support for multiple virtual DOS machines. How
far does this virtualization go? Would I be able to, for example,
load some other 8086 operating system, like CP/M (not that I want to)
or MINIX (Yeah, I want to =]) in a VDM?

I guess the important things would be that the IVT gets handled correctly
(eg 8086 interrupts are handled in their normal fasion) and that
I/O port emulation, or mapping be provided.

Anyone know these answers? IBM? Microsoft?

Thanks, in advance,
Steve

        resnicks@netcom.com, steve@camphq, IFNA:        1:143/105.0,
                 co moderator for comp.binaries.os2
 Real life: Steve Resnick. Chief Software Architect, Process Scientific, Inc
 Flames, grammar and spelling errors >/dev/null
 The Asylum OS/2 BBS - (408)263-8017 12/2400,8,1 - Running Maximus CBCS 1.2

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/06/91)

In <1991Jun5.222119.18672@netcom.COM>, resnicks@netcom.COM (Steve Resnick) writes:

>Here's a question which has been on my mind a little ...
>
>In OS/2 2.0 there is support for multiple virtual DOS machines. How
>far does this virtualization go? Would I be able to, for example,
>load some other 8086 operating system, like CP/M (not that I want to)
>or MINIX (Yeah, I want to =]) in a VDM?
>
>I guess the important things would be that the IVT gets handled correctly
>(eg 8086 interrupts are handled in their normal fasion) and that
>I/O port emulation, or mapping be provided.
>
>Anyone know these answers? IBM? Microsoft?

(Sigh) Microsoft's NT is supposed to do this, but I seriously doubt that
2.0 will let you boot any other OS simultaneously.  I guess you'll have
to wait until NT is released.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

kushner@ux1.lbl.gov (Gary Kushner) (06/07/91)

Actually I read in InfoWorld that Dr. Dos 5.0 is being booted in
a VM.  I think I also read that other real mode operating systems
should work.  The source is not that good, but...

-Gary