[comp.os.os2.misc] 8514a

mg15@prism.gatech.EDU (Glynn,Mike) (06/05/91)

Hello all...

	I am using os/2 1.3 EE on a ps/2 model 80. Just installed it as a matterof fact. I have an 8514a card with 1 Meg on it. The problem is I only get what
seems to be 640x480x???. I can get 1024x768x256 with the same card using windowsso I'm sure I can get the same using os/2. What am I overlooking?
config.sys contains:
     set video_devices=vio_ibm8514a
      set vio_ibm8514a=device(bvhvga,bvh8514a)
etc

Thanks
Mike Glynn

--
Mike Glynn...........Internet: mg15@prism.gatech.edu|

stchan@torovm1.vnet.ibm.com ("Steven W.K. Chan") (06/05/91)

Your posting seemed to have lost some sections during transmission,
so you may have noted that you have already done some of the following.
Check to make sure you have:

1) installed all the memory on the 8514/A
2) moved the jumper on the card to indicate the memory is installed
3) installed the adapter in slot 6 (the only one with extra connectors)
4) plugged the 8514 monitor into this adapter
5) run diagnostics to ensure that everything installed correctly
6) copied the following three DLLs from Diskette 5
      UNPACK A:IBMBGA.DL@ C:\OS2\DLL
      UNPACK A:BVHVGA.DL@ C:\OS2\DLL
      UNPACK A:BVH8514A.DL@  C:\OS2\DLL
7) Modified your CONFIG.SYS to include the following lines:
      SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_IBM8514A
      SET VIO_IBM8514A=DEVICE(BVHVGA, BVH8514A)
8) booted dos to copy IBMBGA.DLL to DISPLAY.DLL
      COPY IBMBGA.DLL DISPLAY.DLL

Steven Chan                      IBM Canada Ltd.
                                 Finance Industry Support & Development
stchan@torovm1.vnet.ibm.com      Toronto, Ontario     :  (416) 941-6016

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/05/91)

In <30599@hydra.gatech.EDU>, mg15@prism.gatech.EDU (Glynn,Mike) writes:

>Hello all...
>
>        I am using os/2 1.3 EE on a ps/2 model 80. Just installed it as a matterof fact
>. I have an 8514a card with 1 Meg on it. The problem is I only get what
>seems to be 640x480x???. I can get 1024x768x256 with the same card using windows
>so I'm sure I can get the same using os/2. What am I overlooking?
>config.sys contains:
>     set video_devices=vio_ibm8514a
>      set vio_ibm8514a=device(bvhvga,bvh8514a)

Interesting.  My CONFIG.SYS says

SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_IBMBGA
SET VIO_IBMBGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA,BVH8514A)
etc.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

Mahoney@emdisle.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Mahoney) (06/07/91)

In an article of <4 Jun 91 20:28:49 GMT>, mg15@prism.gatech.EDU (Glynn,Mike) writes:

 GA>using windowsso I'm sure I can get the same using os/2. What am I
 GA>overlooking?
 GA>config.sys contains:
 GA>     set video_devices=vio_ibm8514a
 GA>      set vio_ibm8514a=device(bvhvga,bvh8514a)

  You may have already thought of this, but there's another line in the config.sys file that says something like:

DEVINFO=SCR,VGA,C:\OS2\VIOTBL.DCP
            ^^^
This means VGA support. Replacing it with BGA means 8514A support.
--
Mike Mahoney - via FidoNet node 1:300/14
UUCP: uunet...!noao!coyote!emdisle!Mahoney