[comp.os.os2.misc] Formatting a floppy for HPFS

mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com (Marc Cohen 8/443-3945) (06/07/91)

>In article <13201@aggie.ucdavis.edu> s142029@fred.ucdavis.edu writes:
>> >
>> >    I am just wandering, since I haven't read the manual, but is it possible
>> >to format a floppy with HPFS on it ?  I have tried
>>
>> It is not possible,.  I think That they wanted to keep the Floppies Standard
>> so that you didn't think that the disks are blank and re-format them when
>> you are running DOS.  It probably also has something to do with the buffering
>> system for HPFS that makes it work well, and the number of buffers used woud
>> basicly make it read the entore floppy when you first put the disk in and rea
>> it.   Then you get the fun of dealing with systems that don't properly do the
>> disk change lead thing.
>>
>> Wim
>> --
>> | wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu |P.O.Box 2062cs  |The Loft BBS
>> |27313853@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu|Pullman WA 99165|Currently down for the summer.
>> | 72561.3135@CompuServe.com |(509)334-4626   |USR HST Dual Standard HST/V.32
>>

>     Do you mean absolutely impossible.  I was thinking about trying to fool
>FORMAT.COM into thinking the floppy drive is another fixed disk.  I don't know
>much about HPFS file structure organization, so clarify it for me.  I was
>hoping to patch FORMAT.COM or getting OS/2 to think that the floppy drive is
>a fixed disk with 2 heads, 80 cylinders, 9 sectors per track.  How about that ?
>Anyone know about this ?  Larry (IBM) ? ...

>T. Huynh

>PS : What was that IBM toll-free number for complaints and concerns again ?  I
>missed it ?

You may be able to fool the system into thinking the driver is fixed and
get HPFS to format it. However, if you ever switch diskettes, you will
end up with a real problem. HPFS is currently not prepared to handle a
media switch. It will not checkpoint the buffered sectors and reread the
directory base from the diskette before/after you switch diskettes. To
do that you would need a MOUNT/UNMOUNT sequence which is not
implemented. You would probably thus end up with directory information
from the first diskette written on the second. And HPFS will really not
buy much on a diskette.

Marc L. Cohen                  vnet: MLCOHEN at BCRVMPC1
                           internet: mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com