[comp.os.os2.misc] HPFS ' Weakness.

s142029@fred.ucdavis.edu (06/09/91)

From: s142029@fred.ucdavis.edu ()
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: HPFS weakness -  Used to be : HPFS on a Floppy...
> Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
> Subject: Backing up HPFS files with long names
> Date: 8 Jun 91 18:43:21 GMT
>
> You have two ways of backing up the files onto floppy and saving the
> long names. The BACKUP/RESTORE commands will do this for you. Also, if
> you use the File Manager to copy the files, it will save the long names
> in an EA on the floppy, and restore the file to its original name when
> you bring it back to a hard file, again using the File Manager
> (drag/drop) to copy it.
>

> Marc L. Cohen                  vnet: MLCOHEN at BCRVMPC1
>                            internet: mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com

      What I wanted was to be able to use that file on the floppy also.  It
is the case when your hard 'data' hard disk fail and you have to wait for
uhhh-I-think-about-2-weeks to get it fixed or replaced.  The 2 methods you
mentioned works, but they the solutions I'm looking.  If that was what I
need, then I would have used an archiver to save disk space.

T. Huynh

From: s142029@fred.ucdavis.edu ()
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: HPFS ' Weakness.

> You have two ways of backing up the files onto floppy and saving the
> long names. The BACKUP/RESTORE commands will do this for you. Also, if
> you use the File Manager to copy the files, it will save the long names
> in an EA on the floppy, and restore the file to its original name when
> you bring it back to a hard file, again using the File Manager
> (drag/drop) to copy it.
>

> Marc L. Cohen                  vnet: MLCOHEN at BCRVMPC1
>                            internet: mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com

      What I wanted was to be able to use that file on the floppy also.  It
is the case when your hard 'data' hard disk fail and you have to wait for
uhhh-I-think-about-2-weeks to get it fixed or replaced.  The 2 methods you
mentioned works, but they are not the solutions I'm looking for.  If that was

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey,159 Physics,9664826,) (06/09/91)

From article <13218@aggie.ucdavis.edu>, by s142029@fred.ucdavis.edu:
>> You have two ways of backing up the files onto floppy and saving the
>> long names. The BACKUP/RESTORE commands will do this for you. Also, if
>> you use the File Manager to copy the files, it will save the long names
>> in an EA on the floppy, and restore the file to its original name when
>> you bring it back to a hard file, again using the File Manager
>> (drag/drop) to copy it.
>>

>> Marc L. Cohen                  vnet: MLCOHEN at BCRVMPC1
>>                            internet: mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com
>
>       What I wanted was to be able to use that file on the floppy also.  It
> is the case when your hard 'data' hard disk fail and you have to wait for
> uhhh-I-think-about-2-weeks to get it fixed or replaced.  The 2 methods you
> mentioned works, but they are not the solutions I'm looking for.  If that
> was what I need, then I would have used an archiver to save disk space.

I didn't see the original messages in this thread so forgive me if I am not
understanding the question.

It appears that you are looking for a way of copying files to floppy
disks in OS/2, but preserve the extended attributes of the files.

It is not possible to do this directly.  Floppy diskettes are FAT based,
not HPFS based.  Thus files on the floppy disks do not support EAs.

However, there is a utility that comes with OS/2 which splits the EA
information from the file and puts it into a second file.  You can then save
these as two separate files on the floppy diskette.  The utility also
combines the EA and file information back together later.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of this utility, and I'm at home
now so the manuals are not handy.  I think it is called EAUTIL.

You still have to shorten the filenames before saving the files on floppies.

- Kevin Lowey (Lowey@Sask.USask.CA)

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey,159 Physics,9664826,) (06/09/91)

From article <1991Jun9.005308.12060@herald.usask.ca>, by lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey,159 Physics,9664826,):

> I didn't see the original messages in this thread so forgive me if I am not
> understanding the question.
>
> It appears that you are looking for a way of copying files to floppy
> disks in OS/2, but preserve the extended attributes of the files.

Oops, I just reread the message, and realized that wasn't the problem at all.
Consider this message a "fire extinquisher".  No need to send flames telling
me I should have read the original message better #8-)

- Kevin Lowey