[comp.os.os2.misc] Backing up HPFS files with long names

Marc Cohen 8/443-3945 <mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com> (06/08/91)

>      Thanks for the info.  But this really sounds like the designer(s) of
>HPFS really haven't thought it through when they design it.  Just imagine this:
>     You have created a file on HPFS with filename abcdefghihj.klmnop.qrstuv,
>on you hard disk.  But then there's no way for you to back it up on the floppy
>with the original name.  So you save it with abcdefgh.klm .  So what's the use
>of HPFS anyway ?
>
>PS:  Hey, IBM and MS, here's one problem that should be solved with version 2.0
>
>T. Huynh

You have two ways of backing up the files onto floppy and saving the
long names. The BACKUP/RESTORE commands will do this for you. Also, if
you use the File Manager to copy the files, it will save the long names
in an EA on the floppy, and restore the file to its original name when
you bring it back to a hard file, again using the File Manager
(drag/drop) to copy it.

Marc L. Cohen                  vnet: MLCOHEN at BCRVMPC1
                           internet: mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com

jwh@bodwin.citi.umich.edu (Jim Howe) (06/10/91)

In article <9106081820.AA02054@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com (Marc Cohen 8/443-3945) writes:
>>     You have created a file on HPFS with filename abcdefghihj.klmnop.qrstuv,
>>on you hard disk.  But then there's no way for you to back it up on the floppy
>>with the original name.  So you save it with abcdefgh.klm .  So what's the use
>>of HPFS anyway ?
>>

>You have two ways of backing up the files onto floppy and saving the
>long names. The BACKUP/RESTORE commands will do this for you. Also, if
>you use the File Manager to copy the files, it will save the long names
>in an EA on the floppy, and restore the file to its original name when
>you bring it back to a hard file, again using the File Manager
>(drag/drop) to copy it.

This is somewhat useful but why won't the OS/2 copy command do the
same thing?  It would seem that the commands issued from the shell
should behave in the same way.  The dir command, for example, should
be able to list the contents of the floppy showing both the FAT
name as well as the HPFS name.  The copy command should perform in
a manner identical to the file manager drag and drop.  In addition
to not supporting  consistent file management behavior there is also
the problem of name conflicts when two or more files 'reduce' to the
same 8.3 name.  I think there should be two solutions to the HPFS to
floppy problem.  The first solution would be an extension of what
already exists in the file manager to the shell commands.  The second
solution is to have a 'mountable' file system whereby you can
mount/unmount a floppy based HPFS file system.  The first solution
gives users who are novices or uncomfortable with 'mounting' file systems
a reasonable solution.  The second option allows more experienced
users a complete solution.

HPFS file names would reduce to the same file name.

James W. Howe			   internet: jwh@citi.umich.edu
University of Michigan             uucp:     uunet!mailrus!citi.umich.edu!jwh
Ann Arbor, MI   48103-4943