[comp.os.os2.misc] HPFS : How-Pathetic-File that-Sucks

s142029@fred.ucdavis.edu (06/09/91)

From ucdavis!ucbvax!cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!rpi!clarkson!BCRVMPC1.vnet.ibm.com!MLCOHEN Fri Jun  7 19:58:29 PDT 1991
Article: 1746 of comp.os.os2.misc
From: mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com (Marc Cohen 8/443-3945)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Formatting a floppy for HPFS
Date: 7 Jun 91 11:54:53 GMT

MC> You may be able to fool the system into thinking the driver is fixed and
MC> get HPFS to format it. However, if you ever switch diskettes, you will
MC> end up with a real problem. HPFS is currently not prepared to handle a
MC> media switch. It will not checkpoint the buffered sectors and reread the
MC> directory base from the diskette before/after you switch diskettes. To
MC> do that you would need a MOUNT/UNMOUNT sequence which is not
MC> implemented. You would probably thus end up with directory information
MC> from the first diskette written on the second. And HPFS will really not
MC> buy much on a diskette.
MC>
MC>
MC> Marc L. Cohen                  vnet: MLCOHEN at BCRVMPC1
MC>                            internet: mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com

      Thanks for the info.  But this really sounds like the designer(s) of
HPFS really haven't thought it through when they design it.  Just imagine this:
     You have created a file on HPFS with filename abcdefghihj.klmnop.qrstuv,
on you hard disk.  But then there's no way for you to back it up on the floppy
with the original name.  So you save it with abcdefgh.klm .  So what's the use
of HPFS anyway ?

PS:  Hey, IBM and MS, here's one problem that should be solved with version 2.0.Anyone has information about this ?

T. Huynh

Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) (06/09/91)

In article <13213@aggie.ucdavis.edu> s142029@fred.ucdavis.edu writes:
>     You have created a file on HPFS with filename abcdefghihj.klmnop.qrstuv,
>on you hard disk.  But then there's no way for you to back it up on the floppy
>with the original name.  So you save it with abcdefgh.klm .  So what's the use
>of HPFS anyway ?
>
>PS:  Hey, IBM and MS, here's one problem that should be solved with version 2.0.Anyone has information about this ?

OS/2 comes with a program which copies the full file information,
including the full filename, to floppy. For the life of me I can't
remember what the name of the command is. I guess that it stores the
full name as an extra EA on the floppy.

--
Conrad Bullock                     | Domain:   conrad@comp.vuw.ac.nz
Victoria University of Wellington, |     or:   conrad@cavebbs.gen.nz
                                   | BBS:      The Cave BBS +64 4 643429

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (06/11/91)

If you copy the file with the long name from HPFS to the floppy using
the PM file manager, it creates a EA ".LONGNAME" containing the original
name. When restoring the file back from the floppy onto a HPFS using PM
file manager again, it recognizes this EA and renames the file to its
original name.

You have more choices. You can use an archiver that supports long HPFS
file names (ZOO, C-LHarc, LH2 or the ZIP coming soon from Info-ZIP) to
put the file into an archive on the floppy. Also, you can create TAR
floppies with GNU tar for OS/2 just like under Unix and read the floppy
onto another HPFS.

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams

bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Barry King) (06/11/91)

Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) writes:

> In article <13213@aggie.ucdavis.edu> s142029@fred.ucdavis.edu writes:
> >     You have created a file on HPFS with filename abcdefghihj.klmnop.qrstuv
> >on you hard disk.  But then there's no way for you to back it up on the flop
> >with the original name.  So you save it with abcdefgh.klm .  So what's the u
> >of HPFS anyway ?
> >
> >PS:  Hey, IBM and MS, here's one problem that should be solved with version
>
> OS/2 comes with a program which copies the full file information,
> including the full filename, to floppy. For the life of me I can't
> remember what the name of the command is. I guess that it stores the
> full name as an extra EA on the floppy.
>
> --
> Conrad Bullock                     | Domain:   conrad@comp.vuw.ac.nz
> Victoria University of Wellington, |     or:   conrad@cavebbs.gen.nz
> New Zealand.                       | Fidonet:  3:771/130
>                                    | BBS:      The Cave BBS +64 4 643429

Are you thinking of EAUTIL.EXE?

Barry King              bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/11/91)

How about getting a version of PK-zip that puts everything into a zip
file?
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu