[comp.os.os2.misc] DPMI Support in OS/2 v 2.0?

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/11/91)

Does anyone know whether DPMI is going to be supported in OS/2 v 2.0?
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

Marc Cohen 8/443-3945 <mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com> (06/11/91)

>From: feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel)
>Date: 10 Jun 91 21:57:40 GMT
>
>Does anyone know whether DPMI is going to be supported in OS/2 v 2.0?
>--
>David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
>EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

In the released product, extended memory will be available through
XMS and DPMI(DOS Protect Mode Interface).

Marc L. Cohen                  vnet: MLCOHEN at BCRVMPC1
                           internet: mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com

Marc Cohen 8/443-3945 <mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
>>--
>In the released product, extended memory will be available through
>XMS and DPMI(DOS Protect Mode Interface).

>Marc L. Cohen                  vnet: MLCOHEN at BCRVMPC1
>                           internet: mlcohen@bcrvmpc1.vnet.ibm.com

Will the DPMI interface be usable by applications programs directly?
--

GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) (06/12/91)

In a recent posting, David Fuestel writes:

>Does anyone know whether DPMI is going to be supported in OS/2 v 2.0?

If I recall correctly from the 4/18 IBM Field Television Network
broadcast, OS/2 2.0 will support DPMI 0.9.

Sandy Rockowitz
gd.sar@forsythe.stanford.edu

ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun10.215740.22830@netcom.COM>, feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

> Does anyone know whether DPMI is going to be supported in OS/2 v 2.0?

To answer your question: yes, and it will be directly available.
The real question is, however, what version of DPMI will it be?
The answer should include why (vis a vis the 0.9 vs 1.0 problem).

Larry, can you answer this one?

Mark Kosten

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/13/91)

In <1991Jun10.215740.22830@netcom.COM>, feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

>Does anyone know whether DPMI is going to be supported in OS/2 v 2.0?

As far as I know, yes.  But I don't know if this is the official word or
not, so don't interpret it as such, please.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun10.215740.22830@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
#
# Does anyone know whether DPMI is going to be supported in OS/2 v 2.0?
# --
# David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
# EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

My understanding (gleaned from an IBM presentation where I asked this very
question) is that OS/2 will support up to 48 meg of expanded and extended
memory for the DOS boxes.  The expanded memory is DPMI only, that is, no
VCPI support.  Maybe QuarterDeck will come up with QEMM/2.

Barry

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/17/91)

In <1991Jun12.233320.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au>, ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:

>In article <1991Jun10.215740.22830@netcom.COM>, feustel@netcom.COM (David Feuste
>l) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone know whether DPMI is going to be supported in OS/2 v 2.0?
>
>To answer your question: yes, and it will be directly available.
>The real question is, however, what version of DPMI will it be?
>The answer should include why (vis a vis the 0.9 vs 1.0 problem).
>
>Larry, can you answer this one?
>
>Mark Kosten

No, I cannot, but some alarm in my head is saying version 0.9 will be
supported, because the .9 spec was the only thing available when
development was started on it.  However, I cannot be sure, nor can I be
certain this is the "official" reason if indeed this is the case.

Marc (Cohen):  can you help here?

In <1991Jun13.195546.27173@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) writes:

>In article <1991Jun10.215740.22830@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel
>) writes:
>#
># Does anyone know whether DPMI is going to be supported in OS/2 v 2.0?
># --
># David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
># EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu
>
>My understanding (gleaned from an IBM presentation where I asked this very
>question) is that OS/2 will support up to 48 meg of expanded and extended
>memory for the DOS boxes.  The expanded memory is DPMI only, that is, no
>VCPI support.  Maybe QuarterDeck will come up with QEMM/2.
>
>Barry

Remember the 48M is TOTAL for ALL DOS boxes, not PER DOS box.